First Above The Line Depth Chart Released

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
He’s not. Guys there will NEVER be a depth chart. It’s just ATL or not. I’m sure LJ will take the first snap but I would assume we’ll be seeing LJ and TO for most of the QB snaps...but we’ll see.
If there will never be a depth chart announced by Coach then I see this as an opportunity for some guys to create their own (just for fun) with each game's stats, starting with, say, Snaps Played at each position...The Swarm Depth Chart

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I look at it as "the former A-Backs that have good enough hands to play slot receiver" (y)

Except hawkins was a wr in our program last year and a db. But whatever.

Its really simply third down backs that can or may split out. No different than what guys like tevin coleman did or marshall faulk or similar when the go in motion and split out

MH55

Banned
Since I spent 11 years calling for more playing time for QBs, I think this is a fabulous concept and expect more substitutions if CGC does as he did at Temple. I don't expect great things right away but do by the end of three years.

Temple fan here again. Collins didnt rotate quarterbacks as a strategy. He did it because they werent playing well. At Temple, the ATL meant nothing. Everybody who was eligible was listed "ATL" The order frequently meant nothing. As someone posted, its annoying. It can be. Collins knows who is starters are and who isn't going to play. You won't.

We had a situation at Fulback with a fan favorite who was listed at the top of the ATL all season. He rarely played and there was never any explanation.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Temple fan here again. Collins didnt rotate quarterbacks as a strategy. He did it because they werent playing well. At Temple, the ATL meant nothing. Everybody who was eligible was listed "ATL" The order frequently meant nothing. As someone posted, its annoying. It can be. Collins knows who is starters are and who isn't going to play. You won't.

We had a situation at Fulback with a fan favorite who was listed at the top of the ATL all season. He rarely played and there was never any explanation.
I like the concept--I don't personally find it annoying thus far. On the Tech ATL chart that was just released, players are listed in numerical order in each position group. Will be interesting to see how it all actually works out, and to your point, MH55, it will be interesting to see if they make any changes from how they carried it out at Temple, and if everybody who is ATL truly gets in the rotation.

MH55

Banned
I’m not talking about ST.

I will just take a step back and read posters opinions. We went through the same thing for about a month in Sept ‘17 until we finally accepted Collins doesn’t publish a depth chart.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
You think 8 wide receivers are going to play Thursday ?

LOL. At least for me on this board, no! I don’t think so, either.

It would be interesting, at least to me anyway, to see what our players will think about this “ATL” stuff themselves after several games this season. Other than the Citadel game, I don’t think every player on the ATL list will play in every game this season.

Perhaps some players on the list will play on special teams, if not at the particular position they’re listed under on the ATL? It’s possible; I don’t know.

In any case, it will be interesting to watch this season, for sure.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah I keep coming back to the statement the coaching staff has continued to make that the young guys will play on ST before they play on O or D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You think 8 wide receivers are going to play Thursday ?

I know for a fact 5 will. Camp brown blancato carter and sanders.

The other three are either fr or rs fr. The rs fr could on sp teams; so maybe 6 play.

I bet we dont see the true freshman play. Reason is unless need, save their 4 games before redshirt til they know more and can use em middle end of year. But nazir burnett has been playing really well so he may get a few snaps

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if we might try camp at TE occasionally. He is a bit light at 220 but at a senior who spent his first three years blocking alot, I think he could handle a 260 DE. He would be an absolute nightmare matchup for a linebacker.

I was actually surprised they didn't try to develop Dolphus into a TE.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Bc the FB is dying like the overly big LBs in the era of spread offenses. It’s pretty funny that most Temple fans discontent with CGC is stemmed from not run out of the I formation or playing a FB.

Once you accept that ATL, simply mean these are the guys that good enough to play instead of WILL play it’s not so annoying.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Once you accept that ATL, simply mean these are the guys that good enough to play instead of WILL play it’s not so annoying.

My annoyance with the ATL is that it's basically seems to be just a three deep without anything differentiating the groups. I think there was something like 60 players listed for the offensive and defensive sides combined. I don't see any way that this ATL is a list of all the guys we'd feel comfortable playing, and that it almost certainly contains guys we will only see in mop up times or in situations related to injury, or whatever. That isn't really a bad thing because every team has guys that are in need of development before playing, but when the list lumps the 3rd stringer who is expected to be a contributor in two years, with the sure fire starter, and no distinction is made between where they stand, then it's basically not telling you anything.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
My annoyance with the ATL is that it's basically seems to be just a three deep without anything differentiating the groups. I think there was something like 60 players listed for the offensive and defensive sides combined. I don't see any way that this ATL is a list of all the guys we'd feel comfortable playing, and that it almost certainly contains guys we will only see in mop up times or in situations related to injury, or whatever. That isn't really a bad thing because every team has guys that are in need of development before playing, but when the list lumps the 3rd stringer who is expected to be a contributor in two years, with the sure fire starter, and no distinction is made between where they stand, then it's basically not telling you anything.

Maybe. But really so what. After 3 games u will know. I dont see why its such a big deal. What it does do, is if a guy is A team in coaches mind, thats never published, if he underperforms another atl guy taking his place is quick and easy as we don't put names in ranked places and act like playing time is a right.

To me. This is a great way to manage the team and even if the fans wont know after the first few games who the primary players are then ok it actually makes the team better and more competitive

MH55

Banned
Bc the FB is dying like the overly big LBs in the era of spread offenses. It’s pretty funny that most Temple fans discontent with CGC is stemmed from not run out of the I formation or playing a FB.

Actually the rage started after losing to Villanova which was not only FCS loss but our bitter city rival in college basketball.

Has Collins declared a starting QB ? I will give you the details how it played out 2 seasons ago and how the "ATL" use can be confusing. I mentioned in another thread we opened the Collins era at Notre Dame and he did not announce a starter. We flew to South Bend w 4 Quarterbacks "Above the Line." It wasn't until the first play from scrimmage we fans found out who the #1 QB was, a fella by the name of Logan Marchi. Marchi didnt set the world on fire but he played exclusively until he was replaced. Now, the confusion and the message board arguments started because people were asking "if the other Quarterbacks are indeed, above the line, how come they are not playing ?" There was no rotation of quarterbacks, or any other position, really besides the routine substitution you see during games. In Game 4, 3 of them played and none of them well in a rout at the hands of USF. Eventually, Collins settled on a starter who played well enough to get us in and then win a Bowl game. When he faltered last year, Collins eventually replaced him and the 4th guy is now a pro prospect. I didnt join in but your new OC, Pataneude, was a favorite whipping boy @ Temple.

Logan Marchi transferred to East Tennessee State and is now a grad transfer at some place called Sacred Heart.