First Above The Line Depth Chart Released

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Guess we'll have to watch the game to see who plays and who is best that day.

Since I spent 11 years calling for more playing time for QBs, I think this is a fabulous concept and expect more substitutions if CGC does as he did at Temple. I don't expect great things right away but do by the end of three years.
There's something to be said for rhythm. If a guy is killin' it and in perfect sync with his receivers, I don't know why'd you ever wanna take him out except for a goal line qb sneak one play deal.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's something to be said for rhythm. If a guy is killin' it and in perfect sync with his receivers, I don't know why'd you ever wanna take him out except for a goal line qb sneak one play deal.

The problem is you can't do two things at once. Maybe the other guy would do as good or better since it's only one guy.

The problem I have seen is that a player degrades due to fatigue or being nicked (i.e. injured) but kept in. I have the sense that Collins won't do the same thing at all. But I didn't watch the Temple games and dont know how much is hype and how much is reality.

Right now, I give Collins the benefit of any doubt. The facts will be the facts. (IIWII)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Temple fan here again. Collins didnt rotate quarterbacks as a strategy. He did it because they werent playing well. At Temple, the ATL meant nothing. Everybody who was eligible was listed "ATL" The order frequently meant nothing. As someone posted, its annoying. It can be. Collins knows who is starters are and who isn't going to play. You won't.

We had a situation at Fulback with a fan favorite who was listed at the top of the ATL all season. He rarely played and there was never any explanation.

Thanks. At Temple there may have been a difference between theory and practice. Soon we'll see reality. It may be the same as Temple or it may change. I can wait.

But appreciate your thoughts.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Actually the rage started after losing to Villanova which was not only FCS loss but our bitter city rival in college basketball.

Has Collins declared a starting QB ? I will give you the details how it played out 2 seasons ago and how the "ATL" use can be confusing. I mentioned in another thread we opened the Collins era at Notre Dame and he did not announce a starter. We flew to South Bend w 4 Quarterbacks "Above the Line." It wasn't until the first play from scrimmage we fans found out who the #1 QB was, a fella by the name of Logan Marchi. Marchi didnt set the world on fire but he played exclusively until he was replaced. Now, the confusion and the message board arguments started because people were asking "if the other Quarterbacks are indeed, above the line, how come they are not playing ?" There was no rotation of quarterbacks, or any other position, really besides the routine substitution you see during games. In Game 4, 3 of them played and none of them well in a rout at the hands of USF. Eventually, Collins settled on a starter who played well enough to get us in and then win a Bowl game. When he faltered last year, Collins eventually replaced him and the 4th guy is now a pro prospect. I didnt join in but your new OC, Pataneude, was a favorite whipping boy @ Temple.

Logan Marchi transferred to East Tennessee State and is now a grad transfer at some place called Sacred Heart.

No but based on open practices and report, Lucas Johnson appear to be the starter. I expect Tobias to get a few short yardage plays. Whether we have a depth chart or not, still expect the “starters” to play 80% of the snaps

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
My annoyance with the ATL is that it's basically seems to be just a three deep without anything differentiating the groups. I think there was something like 60 players listed for the offensive and defensive sides combined. I don't see any way that this ATL is a list of all the guys we'd feel comfortable playing, and that it almost certainly contains guys we will only see in mop up times or in situations related to injury, or whatever. That isn't really a bad thing because every team has guys that are in need of development before playing, but when the list lumps the 3rd stringer who is expected to be a contributor in two years, with the sure fire starter, and no distinction is made between where they stand, then it's basically not telling you anything.

You nailed it with the last sentence...it’s not telling you anything. If we can get even the slightest advantage by our opponents (and especially this upcoming Clemson team) not knowing what sort of lineup they’ll be facing, isn’t it worth the mild annoyance as a fan to not have a depth chart for pointless internet discussions? I’m just as anxious as anyone here to find out how our guys stack up amongst each other, but I have zero problem with this approach. While we don’t have a depth chart ranking, I guaran-damn-tee Collins has one. We’ll figure it out soon enough.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
With the depth at QB and what MH55 reported about Temple, do you think whoever starts at QB will be on a short leash to prove himself? What I am saying is how quickly would the hook come out and another QB go in if things go poorly in the first quarter?

One of the reasons I posted this is that both QBs in the Florida - Miami gamed looked pretty flustered due to some serious defensive pressure. I expect Clemson to come after the QB with a myriad of blitz packages. Which likely will have the same effect on our QB. And if so, could we see if CGC is looking for who is the best game day QB?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Don't let the new names fool you. CGC has a depth chart. He and his staff know who is starting and who is first in as subs. This ATL stuff is just a different package with the same product in it that's always been there. Same as with the scout team being renamed the development team. They serve the same purpose and do the same things, but all of a sudden it's "different" and all change is good when you are rebranding.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If we can get even the slightest advantage by our opponents (and especially this upcoming Clemson team) not knowing what sort of lineup they’ll be facing, isn’t it worth the mild annoyance as a fan to not have a depth chart for pointless internet discussions?

But I don't think it gives us any advantage though. Clemson is already preparing not having game tape on us doing what we will be doing next year, so the "hidden" factor is already present. Otherwise, them not knowing doesn't really affect things. It's not like it's forcing them to prepare for different packages, because no matter who the QB is they will likely be preparing based on footage from what Collins did at Temple. The QBs are too similar in skillset for the potential for any of the three to play to be a significant factor in the preparation.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
But I don't think it gives us any advantage though. Clemson is already preparing not having game tape on us doing what we will be doing next year, so the "hidden" factor is already present. Otherwise, them not knowing doesn't really affect things. It's not like it's forcing them to prepare for different packages, because no matter who the QB is they will likely be preparing based on footage from what Collins did at Temple. The QBs are too similar in skillset for the potential for any of the three to play to be a significant factor in the preparation.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it matters much at all. But then again, not having a depth chart as a fan doesn’t mean a damn thing either. I just find it kind of hilarious that there is this much hand wringing over it when Geoff Collins has been telling us for months how it was gonna be so everyone should be mentally prepared by now for not having a public depth chart.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How is it clearly not the case? We haven't played a real game yet.

I am not trying to be rude but do you read the whole post? Or even try? The OP said at temple everyone eligible was ATL

I said thats clearly not the case here. Which is fact. We have many eligible players not atl

So i have no idea what you are seeing. Try reading it again and if i messed up somewhere i can correct it. But try reading what i quoted and my response directly below. Sheesh

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I do think it is likely (based on pure speculation on CoachP says) that we will see different package sets for the QBs.

That said, I was surprised he was so clear on saying “our offense will be the same playbook as Temple, We will run the ‘Temple Offense’ here”. It seemed a clear answer to a pointed question in the prep week media presser. So it seems we aren’t hiding everything in an attempt to confuse CBV.

The point for me is that Clemson is an amazing program and they are going to do what they do regardless of film now that we are a more traditional offense. They won’t need to set up special sets and schemes to attack what we are trying to do. I suspect they’ll try to come out heavy and blitz crazy to try to set the tone and push us into a corner. Will be interesting to see how we respond and try to take advantage of it. We’ll likely see a lot of the two step stop and pop type throws many on this board have been asking for but I digress.

The staff has said the ATL is set during practice week, updated the morning of game day and that reps come with effort/success. Who closes games is their focus. That is where I think we will start to see more consistency on the skill guys week to week.

Going to be an interesting season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Oh don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it matters much at all. But then again, not having a depth chart as a fan doesn’t mean a damn thing either. I just find it kind of hilarious that there is this much hand wringing over it when Geoff Collins has been telling us for months how it was gonna be so everyone should be mentally prepared by now for not having a public depth chart.

If I told you that in 3 months I'm going to show up at your house at 2am and blast tubthumping outside your window would that make it less annoying?

I mean it's not a huge deal, but it'd be a nice bone to throw to the fans for us to talk about these last few days.

I do think it is likely (based on pure speculation on CoachP says) that we will see different package sets for the QBs.

Early in the season I could see something of a rotation just to get a better judge on what the guys can do in this system in a real game, but by week 5 or so I doubt we do much "packages" for specific QBs on a regular basis. The skillset of the three we have just has too much overlap. If there is a particular play or set of plays we find effective with Oliver, for example, but overall like LJ better, then seems to me we would just incorporate those plays in with LJ.