Fire Danny Hall

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not going to go back and find the interview, but he basically said in the offseason summer of 2017 that he sat down with Danny Hall to chart out a patch to turn the program around. The conclusion was (paraphrasing) that they're just going to try harder. Stansbury also said that Danny Hall is a brilliant baseball mind and so he has total confidence in him as a coach. I don't remember the exact words, but it basically gave the impression that there wasn't any particular record that would get Danny Hall fired as long as he is still coaching well and as sharp coaching-wise as he is now......again, paraphrasing.
Try harder ? And we’re a fine institute of higher learning , geez .

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I can (maybe) understand Stansbury’s stand on Hall. My understanding is that Hall has major support (read: $$$) from key baseball alums, and he recruits well. Stansbury just invested a ton in football, and may face serious decisions in basketball in 2 years. Baseball just isn’t on his radar as being worth the risk of irritating contributing alumni. He needs their money.

Whatever I think of Hall as a coach, if I were AD, I might make the same decision.
What’s the use of good recruiting if you don’t win??

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Strickland looks like a winner from where I sit. He has taken a moribund program to a level we used to be at.....expectations are to be selected every year now and the question is whether they host or not.
Strickland is one of the best coaches or teachers I have ever met. He was a GA at tech when he volunteer-coached our EC team. He paid rent teaching private lessons.

He taught me nearly all of the catching drills that I would use whenever my mechanics broke down, and he was on top of me in every game to make sure I understood what and why -- and I was 16.

Then when I was playing wood bat league stuff, he was HC at Kent State. My team had a few Kent guys and he drove out to see our league tournament at Ohio State. He remembered everything about me, and you could tell that his players loved him. A few years later, he took them to a regional at UCLA. I met with him after a tough loss to a ridiculously good UCLA team and he again remembered everything.

It's a bummer that Tech couldn't have hired him as a coach in waiting, since I'm sure he would prefer the Tech job.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I can (maybe) understand Stansbury’s stand on Hall. My understanding is that Hall has major support (read: $$$) from key baseball alums, and he recruits well. Stansbury just invested a ton in football, and may face serious decisions in basketball in 2 years. Baseball just isn’t on his radar as being worth the risk of irritating contributing alumni. He needs their money.

Whatever I think of Hall as a coach, if I were AD, I might make the same decision.

Interesting thread...... I usually don't like to comment on sports I didn't play at NATS, but will make an exception on this one.

I have an Honors Student great-nephew in East Cobb who has played travel baseball since he was eligible for a team, started as a freshman on his defending HS state championship team, and has already committed to an "almost full-ride"/"full ride during summer school" at FSU as a HS Soph for the 2021-2022 school year. He also had offers from Tennessee, Clemson, UNC, UVA, Auburn, et al, as well as the Clark County Day Care Center.

What about Tech? They quit calling or accepting calls from my great-nephew or his M-Train87 dad long before he decided on FSU. His dad was at a GT Alumni meeting where TStan was the speaker & afterwards mentioned what had happened.

My M-Train87 nephew is convinced Hall will be gone as soon as Hall's son graduates which, conveniently enough, IIRC, will complete Hall's 30 years as a GTAA/state employee.

To date, Hall hasn't publicly embarrassed the Institute like the MBB & WBB coaches & is probably just wanting to get out the door like Jim Luck or Joe Pittard. Perhaps someone like Cam Bonifay, Nomar, Wieters, or Tex could help TStan move the needle on Hall, but I suspect the MBB & WBB issues are a little higher on TStan's List of ToDo's right now.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just a quick comment here.

I see that GT has now completed fundraising for a $9 MM upgrade at Russ Chandler Stadium. Much (most? all?) of that money is coming from former GT players who made it into the pros.

Props where they are due. I don't think we'd raise so much money without Hall at the helm of the program. If our women's basketball coach raise that kind of money, or a men's soccer coach, or some other minor sport....we'd very likely keep them on as well, for that reason alone.

I hate how he handles our pitching staff and specifically our bullpen, but props where it is due. This is why Hall remains our coach, imho.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Just a quick comment here.

I see that GT has now completed fundraising for a $9 MM upgrade at Russ Chandler Stadium. Much (most? all?) of that money is coming from former GT players who made it into the pros.

Props where they are due. I don't think we'd raise so much money without Hall at the helm of the program. If our women's basketball coach raise that kind of money, or a men's soccer coach, or some other minor sport....we'd very likely keep them on as well, for that reason alone.

I hate how he handles our pitching staff and specifically our bullpen, but props where it is due. This is why Hall remains our coach, imho.
Honestly we need to show him the door similar to Bobby Cox. Get him out of the dugout on good terms and keep him in the front office to continue the relationship with past players so the money continues to flow in. If we get rid of him in an ugly fashion, we risk pissing off a lot of our wealthy former players.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Until... I hear a better (other than rumor/feeling) narrative or theory, it just seems clear he is locked in through this contract (so, 2020 & 2021). Colin happens to be done in 2021 at the latest. That's not likely a coincidence.

I've accepted this as the situation... much like my unmarketable hairline. My joy "usually" powers through despite moments I wish things were different. They just aren't going to be different.

In the next 2 years it will be interesting to see what TStan does. I agree that former influential players are factors. AND I also agree (and take for granted) Hall has managed a clean program.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
English is obviously hurt and everyone else in the pen is just so damn inconsistent.

Seriously? Was it that English was hurt, or that he had not warmed up and he wouldn't put him in without a warmup? (Obviously, I did not watch the game so I just don't know....)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Seriously? Was it that English was hurt, or that he had not warmed up and he wouldn't put him in without a warmup? (Obviously, I did not watch the game so I just don't know....)
People have said that English hasn't looked right on the mound and he was only touching 89 in his last appearance. It is just a guess on my part.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If English is well and truly unable to pitch, this is a 0.500 team the rest of the way.

We have no one able to come out of the bullpen and stop the other team. I have to view the bullpen’s performance @Auburn as an anomaly, given how often they have collapsed in ACC games.