Fire Danny Hall

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
There was not the opportunity to let English warm up, therefore we stayed with Gibson. Gibson threw a good pitch that got out of the yard to beat us.
I don’t disagree w leaving Gibson in. I was listening, not watching, but was wondering if the guy just hit a good pitch. That guy killed us all WE and will likely be in the MLB sooner than later. That said, I disagree that English “didn’t have a chance to warm up”. If he is going to be out closer than we need to have a strategy where he moves from 1B to DH in the late innings of close games n the possibility he will have to go in. He didn’t have the chance to warm up b/c either we didn’t have that decision already made, or we were sticking w Gibson no matter what. Part of the equation on determining if we will use English as the closer has to be what we give away defensively in the 7th, 8th, and 9th at first base when he comes out to prep.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah @FredJacket , just a thought on how to win a series. But maybe CDH could use that strategy once in awhile, or even try something a new, how about thinking outside of the box.
As you have figured out, hall and “outside the box” don’t mix. It seemed like early in the season, there may have been some influence of analytics and less traditional thinking going on, but that was quickly reverseved.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
This series mimics the 2017 visit to Miami except for the extra innings. In 2017, we lost Friday night in extra innings, won Saturday in extra innings and tanked on Sunday. Micah gave up a home run on Sunday, almost identical location in 2017 and the bullpen couldn't get it together coupled with quick pulls and no bats even though we scored 7 on that Sunday. We should have taken all 3 this year and in 2017. Just don't understand the pitching process at Tech. I understand that you can "do your thing" and there isn't a particular program that they adhere to but this year they have brought Cressy Sports Performance into work with the pitchers more on lifting and preparation and evaluation. Curry is a really good pitcher, the first and a half times through the lineup but batters start seeing his pitches better and better as the game goes along. Thomas is a fantastic pitcher but makes significant errors in pitch location, killer slider when it's working and can be lights out. I know you can't expect someone to be on all the time but at this level this is a job and the focus is on the person that makes or doesn't make the play....the pitcher until someone fielding makes an error. The new pitchers certainly show lots of promise but will it be utilized effectively.

I really think they are missing a culture in the clubhouse but I understand the camaraderie is better this year. I know I have heard from a couple of families that the staff is pretty stuck in their ways and doesn't really like to look at new experiences. I had also heard that a couple of years ago that the team had always taken a player lead fall trip and it was cancelled due to some freshmen "concerns" about the goals of the trip not sure if they went this year, seems like you want these things so that you continue to develop the relationships. Other teams hold pre-season dinners that they invite the public in to meet the players, fund raise and I was told that they don't do that anymore, it's just too much trouble. Given the location of the campus we should be killing it in attendance and excitement and it's a shame we aren't. Certainly hope things are looking up and they can make some adjustments after the weekend so that we can get on top of Virginia this weekend.

Always have my hopes up for this team every year and they will always have my support just wish we can catch some breaks and make the most of them.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This series mimics the 2017 visit to Miami except for the extra innings. In 2017, we lost Friday night in extra innings, won Saturday in extra innings and tanked on Sunday. Micah gave up a home run on Sunday, almost identical location in 2017 and the bullpen couldn't get it together coupled with quick pulls and no bats even though we scored 7 on that Sunday. We should have taken all 3 this year and in 2017. Just don't understand the pitching process at Tech. I understand that you can "do your thing" and there isn't a particular program that they adhere to but this year they have brought Cressy Sports Performance into work with the pitchers more on lifting and preparation and evaluation. Curry is a really good pitcher, the first and a half times through the lineup but batters start seeing his pitches better and better as the game goes along. Thomas is a fantastic pitcher but makes significant errors in pitch location, killer slider when it's working and can be lights out. I know you can't expect someone to be on all the time but at this level this is a job and the focus is on the person that makes or doesn't make the play....the pitcher until someone fielding makes an error. The new pitchers certainly show lots of promise but will it be utilized effectively.

I really think they are missing a culture in the clubhouse but I understand the camaraderie is better this year. I know I have heard from a couple of families that the staff is pretty stuck in their ways and doesn't really like to look at new experiences. I had also heard that a couple of years ago that the team had always taken a player lead fall trip and it was cancelled due to some freshmen "concerns" about the goals of the trip not sure if they went this year, seems like you want these things so that you continue to develop the relationships. Other teams hold pre-season dinners that they invite the public in to meet the players, fund raise and I was told that they don't do that anymore, it's just too much trouble. Given the location of the campus we should be killing it in attendance and excitement and it's a shame we aren't. Certainly hope things are looking up and they can make some adjustments after the weekend so that we can get on top of Virginia this weekend.

Always have my hopes up for this team every year and they will always have my support just wish we can catch some breaks and make the most of them.

Hall makes the sum of the whole less than the sum of the players. That has been happening for years. Supposed to be the other way around. Something is missing. As D1 Baseball said to start the season, we have the players, just need to show that we know how to win. We have largely failed to do that; the team fights like hell but our three biggest wins were in extra innings. We lose to UCLA or Miami in extra innings and we get SWEPT those weekends. We are 10-6. Miami is 12-3. Miami is clearly the better team even though they don't have a single Jr or Sr starting. On the other hand, we have 5 likely draft picks starting this year.

I hope we can get to UVa this weekend; they are struggling right now (1-2 like us) and I expect they will be much better at the end of the year.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t disagree w leaving Gibson in. I was listening, not watching, but was wondering if the guy just hit a good pitch. That guy killed us all WE and will likely be in the MLB sooner than later. That said, I disagree that English “didn’t have a chance to warm up”. If he is going to be out closer than we need to have a strategy where he moves from 1B to DH in the late innings of close games n the possibility he will have to go in. He didn’t have the chance to warm up b/c either we didn’t have that decision already made, or we were sticking w Gibson no matter what. Part of the equation on determining if we will use English as the closer has to be what we give away defensively in the 7th, 8th, and 9th at first base when he comes out to prep.
Saturday was the game where A. Wilhite was out and Guldberg started at 2B, right? If so, didn’t they take Guldberg out pretty early and put in Webb at 2B? Never heard why they did that, but Webb has been playing 1B when Tristin pitches, so maybe this was just a perfect storm where English really didn’t have a chance to warm up. I think he batted 2nd or 3rd in the top of the 9th as well.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not going to go back and find the interview, but he basically said in the offseason summer of 2017 that he sat down with Danny Hall to chart out a patch to turn the program around. The conclusion was (paraphrasing) that they're just going to try harder. Stansbury also said that Danny Hall is a brilliant baseball mind and so he has total confidence in him as a coach. I don't remember the exact words, but it basically gave the impression that there wasn't any particular record that would get Danny Hall fired as long as he is still coaching well and as sharp coaching-wise as he is now......again, paraphrasing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anybody know when CDH’s last year is? I believe it is next year when his son graduates, but am not sure.

Whenever Hall wants. Stansbury obviously doesn't care enough to do anything about it. And I guess there is not a lot of interest in GT baseball so Stansbury has a lot bigger problems to worry about. As I joke with people, GT Baseball is the center of the sports universe .......... for about 50 people.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Oh, dear God. I looked CDHs contract up. He is here through the 2021 season. Two more years may not see like a lot to you young guys, but at my age, 2 more years is a significant part of my life.
2021 is when his youngest son graduates, unless he is drafted first.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I can (maybe) understand Stansbury’s stand on Hall. My understanding is that Hall has major support (read: $$$) from key baseball alums, and he recruits well. Stansbury just invested a ton in football, and may face serious decisions in basketball in 2 years. Baseball just isn’t on his radar as being worth the risk of irritating contributing alumni. He needs their money.

Whatever I think of Hall as a coach, if I were AD, I might make the same decision.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the plan is to keep CDH in place in order to groom Carter to be the next head coach. Carter will need 5 years minimum under Hall's tutelage to really understand the ins and outs of the program...what makes it really tick. So.. that's at least 1 (maybe 2) more contracts for CDH. The future is bright! .....

.... if your troll meterometer is not pegged after reading that, I can't help you. ....but if I'm right... you heard it here FIRST!

65Jacket

GT Athlete
As far as I have seen and heard from insiders, I hope Ramsey is the successor for Hall. He is a former National Players of the Year and the players are really high on him.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a hanger up in the zone about barrel high. Managing a bullpen is all about pulling guys before their legs give out.

For the anti-EC crowd, note that UGA coach Scott Strickland was an EC coach (my catching coach back when).

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
Managing a pitching staff has been poor from season one for CDH, IMO. If he could manage a pitching staff we would have won a NC in season one. Of course I'm just a fan, so take that for what its worth, and I've been told its not worth much in the past!!!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It was a hanger up in the zone about barrel high. Managing a bullpen is all about pulling guys before their legs give out.

For the anti-EC crowd, note that UGA coach Scott Strickland was an EC coach (my catching coach back when).
Strickland looks like a winner from where I sit. He has taken a moribund program to a level we used to be at.....expectations are to be selected every year now and the question is whether they host or not.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as I have seen and heard from insiders, I hope Ramsey is the successor for Hall. He is a former National Players of the Year and the players are really high on him.

I heard Ramsey in a pre-game interview and he sounded like a head coach in the way he talked about his program. I have no reason to doubt what you say, only observations to support. I've got no problem with Ramsey taking over.

We have a potential premier program based on ability to recruit (school and location and MLB pedigree), I expect we'll get a better coach when Hall leaves. One who can get results consistent or better than the recruited talent.