Fire Danny Hall

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Agree on all counts. Pastner should get a year pass for the unwarranted legal BS he had to put up with last year.

CPJ gone. New guy gets 5 years.

Hall? The end of the year is the time to decide even though the writing may be on the wall (again).
I agree there. If Hall does nothing this year with all the talent we have, then something is seriously wrong. This should be a Supers team even if a blind squirrel was managing the team.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I agree there. If Hall does nothing this year with all the talent we have, then something is seriously wrong. This should be a Supers team even if a blind squirrel was managing the team.

I mean, seems quiteee similar to what y'all have said the last 6-8 offseasons. If we're being honest hurrr.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I mean, seems quiteee similar to what y'all have said the last 6-8 offseasons. If we're being honest hurrr.
I don't think we've had 5 draft picks who should all go within the first 5 rounds plus 2 or 3 players who should follow that up in the 2020 draft. We haven't had the pitching depth recently that we have this year. If we really don't make a Super Regional this year, then something is terribly wrong and it's worse than it already is.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we've had 5 draft picks who should all go within the first 5 rounds plus 2 or 3 players who should follow that up in the 2020 draft. We haven't had the pitching depth recently that we have this year. If we really don't make a Super Regional this year, then something is terribly wrong and it's worse than it already is.

Who'd that list of players include? Not being sarcastic.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

As I just commented after the typical ACC series road loss to Miami, we have lots of pitching talent wasted this year. Inexcusable that only two pitchers were used in the Saturday loss.

There was a survey of our exiting players two years ago which is talked about by our and opposing announcers commentators. Specifically, the players didn't think they could compete with the injuries to the pitchers two years ago.

The way I look at it is that statement is also that we can't compete unless we have an overwhelming talent advantage; that's what it takes to overcome poor coaching.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
As I just commented after the typical ACC series road loss to Miami, we have lots of pitching talent wasted this year. Inexcusable that only two pitchers were used in the Saturday loss.

There was a survey of our exiting players two years ago which is talked about by our and opposing announcers commentators. Specifically, the players didn't think they could compete with the injuries to the pitchers two years ago.

The way I look at it is that statement is also that we can't compete unless we have an overwhelming talent advantage; that's what it takes to overcome poor coaching.
Yeah, I question why Hall didn't go to English yesterday to close it out. Gibson had honestly done his job and got us to the 9th with the lead. I know English has struggled a little bit, but if he is the closer, then he needs to close.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
And this is the one sport where we recruit very well year in and year out & still can’t reach the tournament ! If it’s true that tstan said hall would be here as long as he was not senile , then we’re screwed , Hall has done a great job @ GT overall , but nothing wrong with change after 25 years . Bring some new blood in here , please

Deleted member 2897

And this is the one sport where we recruit very well year in and year out & still can’t reach the tournament ! If it’s true that tstan said hall would be here as long as he was not senile , then we’re screwed , Hall has done a great job @ GT overall , but nothing wrong with change after 25 years . Bring some new blood in here , please

That’s true he said that.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Here is my previous post on the Miami thread: Thursday March 7th
I believe our biggest problem is relievers and closers .
Say for instance, Zay starts and goes 5 flawless innings, then our bullpen must keep up his good work, but of course not everyone can be Zay.
So then a hit happens, a run happens, still all okay unless our batters aren't doing their job then it's not okay.
My point, is bullpen depth. We haven't seen it in action against ACC hitters yet, so Miami will be the litmus test.
Also why not try for two games instead of 3 in a series. For instance, you pitch Zay and Hurter one day then the next day is CT and Amos, then the last day of the series draw sticks to see who pitches whilst saving Bartnicki and Roedig for midweek starts.

I bet you guys out there might and probably do know more...Here is my take, I played team tennis. So the coach will strategize and put the best players to try to win line 3 out of the 5 lines. That is when the best players on the team play together (doubles I'm talking about), so again Curry would be matched with Hurter, Connor with Amos, or whoever is the top 4 pitchers.
And I think Hall is due for retirement. I like the guy, but he lets a lot games go the wrong way by not pulling the pitchers sooner.
Also what the heck is going on with Serratos? 14th round pick but his hitting and defense are questionable.

It's easy to pick apart these kids here on this forum, and I should not... Sorry for that, I'm just frustrated because I know we have the talent to take on a good team like Miami.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Say for instance, Zay starts and goes 5 flawless innings, then our bullpen must keep up his good work, but of course not everyone can be Zay.
So then a hit happens, a run happens, still all okay unless our batters aren't doing their job then it's not okay.
My point, is bullpen depth. We haven't seen it in action against ACC hitters yet, so Miami will be the litmus test.
Also why not try for two games instead of 3 in a series. For instance, you pitch Zay and Hurter one day then the next day is CT and Amos, then the last day of the series draw sticks to see who pitches whilst saving Bartnicki and Roedig for midweek starts.

I bet you guys out there might and probably do know more...Here is my take, I played team tennis. So the coach will strategize and put the best players to try to win line 3 out of the 5 lines. That is when the best players on the team play together (doubles I'm talking about), so again Curry would be matched with Hurter, Connor with Amos, or whoever is the top 4 pitchers.
And I think Hall is due for retirement. I like the guy, but he lets a lot games go the wrong way by not pulling the pitchers sooner.
Also what the heck is going on with Serratos? 14th round pick but his hitting and defense are questionable.

It's easy to pick apart these kids here on this forum, and I should not... Sorry for that, I'm just frustrated because I know we have the talent to take on a good team like Miami.
Love the thought process in this posting. I don’t know our pitchers well enough to say who should pair with whom, but it makes a ton of sense to me to plan these things out rather than go “seat of the pants” as we obviously have been. One example of a win we let get away by NOT doing this was wasting Hughes in the NW series in a game we were way ahead in. Have some guidelines. Use your best two relievers only in game on the line situations, and plan relieving like you plan starting.

Makes a ton of senseto me. Can you take over for Hall?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Yeah, I question why Hall didn't go to English yesterday to close it out. Gibson had honestly done his job and got us to the 9th with the lead. I know English has struggled a little bit, but if he is the closer, then he needs to close.
There was not the opportunity to let English warm up, therefore we stayed with Gibson. Gibson threw a good pitch that got out of the yard to beat us.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Similar to Jack Leggett at Clemson in his 30th something year, a few years back. Had a winning season, but they replaced him to invigorate the program. Hall has a winning record, however time for a change at the end of this year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Love the thought process in this posting. I don’t know our pitchers well enough to say who should pair with whom, but it makes a ton of sense to me to plan these things out rather than go “seat of the pants” as we obviously have been. One example of a win we let get away by NOT doing this was wasting Hughes in the NW series in a game we were way ahead in. Have some guidelines. Use your best two relievers only in game on the line situations, and plan relieving like you plan starting.

Makes a ton of senseto me. Can you take over for Hall?
I'll take this on...if you are asking me to defend all of CDH's pitching moves in this early season, I cannot do that. He's had some real headscratchers related to bullpen use. However...If you're asking me if our 3 weekend starters are the correct 3... I do think that. I think Curry, Thomas, Hurter gives the team their best chance to win 3 games on a weekend.

The goal is to win each game (not 2/3 of them). If you had some significant increase in likelihood of winning with the go after 2 games aggressively, then grasp on the 3rd game, I may be more onboard. But IMO ... doing that over a full season actually doesn't give you the best chance of winning each game. & ultimately you'd win fewer games.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'll take this on...if you are asking me to defend all of CDH's pitching moves in this early season, I cannot do that. He's had some real headscratchers related to bullpen use. However...If you're asking me if our 3 weekend starters are the correct 3... I do think that. I think Curry, Thomas, Hurter gives the team their best chance to win 3 games on a weekend.

The goal is to win each game (not 2/3 of them). If you had some significant increase in likelihood of winning with the go after 2 games aggressively, then grasp on the 3rd game, I may be more onboard. But IMO ... doing that over a full season actually doesn't give you the best chance of winning each game. & ultimately you'd win fewer games.

Yeah @FredJacket , just a thought on how to win a series. But maybe CDH could use that strategy once in awhile, or even try something a new, how about thinking outside of the box.