Fire Danny Hall

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
I know baseball isn't really a sport that gets people up in arms, and is far from a revenue sport, but when do you think GT will part ways with Danny Hall? I played against Hall teams, and though we had FAAAAAAR less talent we were still able to pull out victories. Georgia is national hotbed for youth baseball, and with scholarship limitations you really don't have to worry about losing a whole lot of that talent to out of state schools.

It is my opinion that he has severely under-preformed for the last decade, and a change needs to be made. UGA parted with Perno a few years ago and Tech should have done the same.

Tech baseball used to be the one thing that we could hang our hat on. It was always playing in regionals, super regionals and would get to Omaha pretty often. Now we are a basement dweller whose best bet of getting in revolves around winning the conference tournament.

Deleted member 2897

I know baseball isn't really a sport that gets people up in arms, and is far from a revenue sport, but when do you think GT will part ways with Danny Hall? I played against Hall teams, and though we had FAAAAAAR less talent we were still able to pull out victories. Georgia is national hotbed for youth baseball, and with scholarship limitations you really don't have to worry about losing a whole lot of that talent to out of state schools.

It is my opinion that he has severely under-preformed for the last decade, and a change needs to be made. UGA parted with Perno a few years ago and Tech should have done the same.

Tech baseball used to be the one thing that we could hang our hat on. It was always playing in regionals, super regionals and would get to Omaha pretty often. Now we are a basement dweller whose best bet of getting in revolves around winning the conference tournament.

Well, why don't you tell us how you feel? :D

In last year's off season, he sat down with Danny Hall to chart a path to begin turning the program around. Apparently (paraphrasing) it was simply "try harder" or something very nondetailed like that. Well, we all know the program continued its slide. I was very confident ADTS would figure out a way to respectfully move CDH along towards retirement...but no, after the season was over, ADTS went public with a statement to the effect that CDH was still as sharp a baseball mind as he's ever seen.

When I read that statement, it gave me the feeling as long as he feels CDH is a competent thinker, there is no time to ever fire him. Sad. He's quickly becoming the Bobby Bowden of our baseball program - long illustrious history, but sticking around longer than he should be with all due respect to him. Just imagine how the fans would be if our football team was playing 0.500 ball and consistently had highly ranked recruiting classes.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
Just imagine how the fans would be if our football team was playing 0.500 ball and consistently had highly ranked recruiting classes.
hahaha yeah, we get pissed when we play .500 ball with poor recruiting classes. Hell CPJ should be given the keys to the castle with what he has done with his recruits (complete exaggeration).

My brother, who was a far better high school player that I was, came into his senior year, and got lots of D1 attention from everyone in the state with the exception of GT. He even got wined and dined at UGA (which would have killed my dad, had he gone there), but eventually went the mid major route. It seems like with CDH if you don't play every second of your youth baseball career at ECB (east snob) he doesn't give you a look. It hurt him a lot in the early 2000's when UGA was getting South Georgia farm hands, and all Danny had was soft sniffeling mamas boys.

Rant over. I think that he will leave when his sons are gone, at least that has become my new hope!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Sadly I've mostly tuned them out the last 4-5 years. I used to go to several games a year and follow them closely but the lack of improvement finally gave me the apathy. Hall just seems to be sitting on the job because there's no pressure to perform so that's when you lose the fans.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, malaise has hit mid-season form already.

As to recruiting, the current 2019 class appears to have only 4 of 18 from the greater Atlanta area. And 6 from out of state. That is a big change to diversifying, and probably one for the better.

Seeing as Hall is here for another year at least, I've reconciled myself with that and hope we have a really good season. My choices are to hope for a good season or give up before it starts.

But thank you for having a separate post on the subject and not bringing it up in all posts. I don't think there are a lot of posters who are big Hall supporters if you look at last year's posts. I just want both GT to win and the players to have an option if baseball doesn't work out.

griffin mizell

Georgia Tech Fan
Hall is a good man and good coach.So was Jack Leggett at Clemson.Sometimes for whatever reason the situation turns stale and you cannot turn it around.Recruiting in the recent past has been way too north Atlanta and east Cobb centric.Team Elite , Homeplate and a myriad of other travel teams have spread the talent around.With this years roster Tech should do well.If Tech struggles again,time to nicely move on.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........With this years roster Tech should do well. If Tech struggles again,time to nicely move on.

Agree. That's what a lot of us were saying last year. But it's a new year and the time to get rid of a coach is at the end of a season.

Who thought Hall would outlast CPJ?

Let's just win this year. It's going to be tough sledding in the ACC since there are a bunch of CWS potential teams - UNC, FSU, Wake, L'Ville. Even Duke with their pitching. I don't think we are Super regional quality unless we really improve on defense and pitching. Pitching is possible, defense is a concern.

The point is we are probably better on an absolute basis (bigger, stronger, faster) than we were 10 years ago but our competition has gotten more better (sic). That Hall hasn't kept up can be statistically shown in the W/Ls. But I hope this is a break out year since I root for GT and not against or for Hall.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Completely agree with Panther 42 on Halls recruiting.Both my sons played college ball and now coach baseball.GT needs to do better.

There is plenty of truth to this as I talked with Danny about wanting to play at Tech out of HS and he seemed to be only focused on kids out of ECB program, which has some talent, but also beat them several times in travel ball. I ended up playing in Texas at another D1 university. But it seems he’s changed his strategy recently, I’m assuming he was told to do something different.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hall is a good man and good coach.So was Jack Leggett at Clemson.Sometimes for whatever reason the situation turns stale and you cannot turn it around.Recruiting in the recent past has been way too north Atlanta and east Cobb centric.Team Elite , Homeplate and a myriad of other travel teams have spread the talent around.With this years roster Tech should do well.If Tech struggles again,time to nicely move on.
Appreciate your post and view, Mr. Mizell. Agree with you, except I think we are 7-8 years late from nicely moving on. He's old and not hungry. Lazy.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree on all points. Program has not been good. Failure to make regionals should be unacceptable. I would think the hot seat is warm and getting warmer. With all of that being said, and with our challenging schedule, I truly think this year is going to be different, but I may be blowing rainbows. Hell, it ain’t even winter yet, so if I can’t even believe in a good spring of baseball I’m a miserable bastard. GO JACKETS AND THWg!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree on all points. Program has not been good. Failure to make regionals should be unacceptable. I would think the hot seat is warm and getting warmer. With all of that being said, and with our challenging schedule, I truly think this year is going to be different, but I may be blowing rainbows. Hell, it ain’t even winter yet, so if I can’t even believe in a good spring of baseball I’m a miserable bastard. GO JACKETS AND THWg!

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
He should have been fired a long time ago and everyone besides our AD knows that! Just look at Russ chandler on any given weekend, nobody goes to the games anymore besides the opposing teams fans!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Like to see a trifecta this week, FDH since he doesn’t seem to believe in retirement and take Pastner with him. I know it’s only year three, but basketball is less organized than Beesball, IMO. This is going to be a long winter and spring doesn’t look to be a whole lot brighter.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Like to see a trifecta this week, FDH since he doesn’t seem to believe in retirement and take Pastner with him. I know it’s only year three, but basketball is less organized than Beesball, IMO. This is going to be a long winter and spring doesn’t look to be a whole lot brighter.
Don't fire Pastner in year 3 of a plan that involves him getting the team old. Year 5 will be his judgment year and we can discuss firing him then if he doesn't do anything.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't fire Pastner in year 3 of a plan that involves him getting the team old. Year 5 will be his judgment year and we can discuss firing him then if he doesn't do anything.

Agree on all counts. Pastner should get a year pass for the unwarranted legal BS he had to put up with last year.

CPJ gone. New guy gets 5 years.

Hall? The end of the year is the time to decide even though the writing may be on the wall (again).