Film Study Film Study - Offense vs Tulane

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I haven't noticed that Danny but getting the OT on Mike has always been a problem with the veer. Especially when the DE squeezes him hard or pinches. If that's the case you run counter option or trap option slow down Mike. IMO our OL is doing a great job. I know coaches are never satisfied nor should they be.
And the quality of Mike is only gonna get better from here on out.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one to think that over the seasons, our A backs have generally gotten bigger and faster, and much more athletic on the edge? Those guys are making real football moves when they turn it up field.
I think I know what you mean. Some of our earlier A-backs really seemed to take a few years to learn how to run on the edge. Bostic, Zenon, Andrews, Perkins and Snoddy come to mind. Some of our newer guys really look like they know what to do with the ball in their hands. Not all necessarily bigger but definitely more confident looking runners.

Of course, in fairness, we have much better blocking from the offensive line now than we did a couple of years ago.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last year was the best year at taking out the MLB. Both Erin and Chamberlian did great jobs of hitting thier man in 2014. The good teams have the DE push on the OT to keep him from firing out.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Curious about Marcus Allen's PT I like Skov but Allens got power & speed. He's only averaging like 7 yards a carry.

However, he has generally been playing against some very disheartened and gassed defenders by the time he gets to play. Don't know yet how he will fare against first teamers in prime time.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I haven't noticed that Danny but getting the OT on Mike has always been a problem with the veer. Especially when the DE squeezes him hard or pinches. If that's the case you run counter option or trap option slow down Mike. IMO our OL is doing a great job. I know coaches are never satisfied nor should they be.

Agree that our OL overall is doing a great job. Even when downfield and missing on a block the presence of a 300 lb lineman downfield is a distraction to the D. I was not addressing getting to the MLB specifically, just addressing plays where the OL releases to block downfield and takes an angle to the presnap D player's position instead of anticipating where the D player will move (afterall we know the play and should know which direction the D player will move). Our release angles could be better is my point, and I am just curious how we are coached.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
And the quality of Mike is only gonna get better from here on out.
There are other ways we can block him also. A back load, crack with WR. That's the beauty of our offense, we have multiple ways to counter how people are defending us and it's something defenses don't see everyday so they can't get good at all of them. Heck yeah, I'm getting fired up to kick some ND booty. As CPJ says we have counter moves for their counter moves.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Two questions were asked earlier on here and no one has answered.

(1) I thought Qua's name was pronounced with a long a and that the announcers were just getting it wrong. Does anyone know for sure?

(2) On CPJ yelling at players I think the question was not about Ike's downfield cut block. I think it was about when CPJ sent a player in with a play right before an official timeout. He sent the player in and even as he gave him his traditional little push toward the field he looked perturbed and yelled something. He got more and more steamed up and during the timeout I think he pulled two players off the field including the one he had just sent in. Clearly somebody did not do what they were supposed to.

Out of shear ignorance, and if you made me make up a reason, I might guess that the player going in did not signal to the player he was replacing and the player being replaced was not watching the sideline like he was supposed to be. But I honestly have no idea what was going on but CPJ was not happy at all.

Now somebody who knows answer (1) and (2).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I've been thinking the same thing. He's listed at 5'10, but he looks more 6 foot-ish. He's every bit as dynamic as his HS tape though.

From reports, AB is just a temporary position for him because of the need at AB. Sounds like he may be making pitches to ABs pretty soon...
Johnson already has dropped a hint but without the name.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Johnson already has dropped a hint but without the name.

Earlier in the year he said something to the effect, "I'm not sure Taquan's not a QB before it's all said and done." Seeing as how Taquan (and MJ before he moved back to AB) are the only ABs that played QB previously, I think we all know who it is.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Two questions were asked earlier on here and no one has answered.

(1) I thought Qua's name was pronounced with a long a and that the announcers were just getting it wrong. Does anyone know for sure?

(2) On CPJ yelling at players I think the question was not about Ike's downfield cut block. I think it was about when CPJ sent a player in with a play right before an official timeout. He sent the player in and even as he gave him his traditional little push toward the field he looked perturbed and yelled something. He got more and more steamed up and during the timeout I think he pulled two players off the field including the one he had just sent in. Clearly somebody did not do what they were supposed to.

Out of shear ignorance, and if you made me make up a reason, I might guess that the player going in did not signal to the player he was replacing and the player being replaced was not watching the sideline like he was supposed to be. But I honestly have no idea what was going on but CPJ was not happy at all.

Now somebody who knows answer (1) and (2).

Northeast, I don't know the answer to 1 but I think I might have a way to find out. One of the rosters released in the last coupla weeks had a mini-pronunciation guide included. I don't know if Qua was on it, but he probably was. I can't find it now, but maybe someone can.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
good write up. the thing I see on offense right now is just speed speed speed. I know we haven't been this fast in CPJ's tenure and I cant remember a faster team in the last 15 years. maybe 98-99?

but thomas, snoddy, searcy, lynch, m marshall, t marshall can all flat-out run. I didn't know Lynch was that fast but he looked great on his long run saturday.

like OP said, we have a lot of new guys but I think they are all better athletes than who they are replacing.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
good write up. the thing I see on offense right now is just speed speed speed. I know we haven't been this fast in CPJ's tenure and I cant remember a faster team in the last 15 years. maybe 98-99?

but thomas, snoddy, searcy, lynch, m marshall, t marshall can all flat-out run. I didn't know Lynch was that fast but he looked great on his long run saturday.

like OP said, we have a lot of new guys but I think they are all better athletes than who they are replacing.

And Cottrell, Benson, Walker, and Philpott will be added in 2016. Not sure about Gantt but I suspect he is quick like T Marshall.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
What was CPJ so sore about at the end of the 1st quarter? On watching the replay, he mouthed to two players "You're out" while motioning to the bench, and then signaled for two players on the bench to come in... Unfortunately the camera angle didn't show the rejects nor the replacements...
watching the replay, it looked to me like maybe CPJ wanted to get a play off before the end of the quarter. He pushed Ike off with 14 seconds in the quarter and looked like he yelled "hurry!" Things weren't going fast enough so he then decided to let the clock wind out and then yanked Ike and maybe someone else, too.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
See, I thought CPJ was pissed because he wanted the A-Back he sent the play in with (Lynch?) didn't get it in fast enough, and they couldn't get another play off before the quarter ended. That might just be me, though...

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
See, I thought CPJ was pissed because he wanted the A-Back he sent the play in with (Lynch?) didn't get it in fast enough, and they couldn't get another play off before the quarter ended. That might just be me, though...
Can you imagine the trip home for Tulane? Curtis Johnson was pissed ALL DAY LONG!!! Tulane did not look ready to play. One of the last shots of him was a look of disgust after the big 65-yard TD by MJ. I told my boys then..."He's gone get fired because of this game!"