Film Study Film Study - Offense vs Tulane

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the A-Backs look and play faster because they have a QB that can outrun them. It allows them to be at or near full speed when taking the pitch on the option.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope the trend continues once we start playing "big boy" football.

I would expect that the total number of yards rushing and passing will go down. I would expect the % contribution by Fr to the rest would remain the same. But that's only a hypothesis.

What was CPJ so sore about at the end of the 1st quarter? On watching the replay, he mouthed to two players "You're out" while motioning to the bench, and then signaled for two players on the bench to come in... Unfortunately the camera angle didn't show the rejects nor the replacements...

During chat it was speculated that Shamire got into a fight or did something. Shamire came out of the game for a few series. So that is speculation that seems to make sense.

Re Shamire. I was in the N Stands in the sun. It got very hot in the second quarter. Shamire started to drag and slugged off the field looking really tired. I have noticed from several games and scrimmages that I have witnessed in person that he has OK stamina in cooler weather but the intense heat gets to him. I believe he struggled in that hot second Q. I have been impressed with Klock as a replacement and we will probably see Shamire when he can go and will see Klock when his stamina fades. It definitely faded in the second Q Saturday.
I can live with 20 to 25 snaps from Devine. You know the guy across from him takes a physical beating for those 20-25 plays. If Klock, or whomever, comes in for a while, there is minimal dropoff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
- TaQuon Marshall has got to be one of the biggest surprises in PJ tenure--a true Fr with almost no running back exp learning to block and play so quickly,he looks bigger than reported also

I've been thinking the same thing. He's listed at 5'10, but he looks more 6 foot-ish. He's every bit as dynamic as his HS tape though.

From reports, AB is just a temporary position for him because of the need at AB. Sounds like he may be making pitches to ABs pretty soon...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think the A-Backs look and play faster because they have a QB that can outrun them. It allows them to be at or near full speed when taking the pitch on the option.

Also, the majority of the ABs we have are more athletes than they are pure RB. It seems CPJ has put an emphasis on recruiting athletic "slash" type players for the position. Qua was a WR/DB in HS, Taquan was a QB, Clinton Lynch was a WR/DB, and MJ was a QB/WR/DB in HS before moving back to QB last week. The only two ABs that were pure RB in HS are Ike Willis and Snoddy. We're starting to see it on the second level how well they move and in the passing game. They look so much more natural catching the ball than ABs in the past.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing that really stood out to me is that even though Marcus Marshall is small for BB, that guy can move a pile. I thought he might be one of those "slippery" type RBs who if defenders got a hold of him he might struggle. MM was able to move the pile at the LOS and would get 2-3 yards after initial contact even if the defender got to him. It's something Laskey was really good at.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would stop the tape, count heads, call the side I thought we should run to, roll the tape, watch the DE and OLB get optioned off, then get POed because we continually whiffed on the MLB (safety) with the releasing OT.
CPJ said two things about this. "I'm not going to tell you who it was that was missing him." Seconds later he said, "It wasn't one guy, it was several."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The OL is just as physical up front. I am not confident that we will score in the 60's against everybody, but we are good enough to put a ton of pressure on opposing offenses as well as defenses. They better be ready to score too.
I honestly think bringing in the second string quarterback when the game is safely out of reach may be a thing this year. It will be interesting to see when CPJ thinks a game is "safe."

I also think if our first team defense plays longer minutes we will see more interceptions.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said two things about this. "I'm not going to tell you who it was that was missing him." Seconds later he said, "It wasn't one guy, it was several."

Without "telling you who" I have noticed, this year and last, that our OTs come off the LOS and run right at the D player instead of taking an angle to where the D player will move as the play develops. I do not know whether they are coached to do that to not give away the direction of the play, or whether they are just not coached to anticipate the movement of the D player and to take a better angle. Look at Long's offensive breakdown of the first series and you can see the misses because of not taking an angle in anticipation of the D player's movement. I observed this same issue last season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Without "telling you who" I have noticed, this year and last, that our OTs come off the LOS and run right at the D player instead of taking an angle to where the D player will move as the play develops. I do not know whether they are coached to do that to not give away the direction of the play, or whether they are just not coached to anticipate the movement of the D player and to take a better angle. Look at Long's offensive breakdown of the first series and you can see the misses because of not taking an angle in anticipation of the D player's movement. I observed this same issue last season.

I haven't looked for it this year but have noticed it in previous years, even with pulling OL. I've called it "running the chalkboard" since they look like their play design without keeping their heads, eyes moving to what D is actually doing.

Fortunately, it doesn't kill us often.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't noticed that Danny but getting the OT on Mike has always been a problem with the veer. Especially when the DE squeezes him hard or pinches. If that's the case you run counter option or trap option slow down Mike. IMO our OL is doing a great job. I know coaches are never satisfied nor should they be.

What was CPJ so sore about at the end of the 1st quarter? On watching the replay, he mouthed to two players "You're out" while motioning to the bench, and then signaled for two players on the bench to come in... Unfortunately the camera angle didn't show the rejects nor the replacements...
Don't know if this is the situation you are referring to, but Ike Willis got an earful from the Coach after he got called for a cut block downfield. It was a pretty block, but unfortunately has been deemed illegal in the past couple of years.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Curious about Marcus Allen's PT I like Skov but Allens got power & speed. He's only averaging like 7 yards a carry.