Film Study Film Study - Offense vs Tulane

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Skeptic, I'm with you. This is no doubt the most speed and explosiveness we've ever had at A. With the exception of Snoddy, none have played but they all look like they know what they're doing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one to think that over the seasons, our A backs have generally gotten bigger and faster, and much more athletic on the edge? Those guys are making real football moves when they turn it up field.
I think Robbie has been our most athletic Aback so far. Orwin is next. I wanna see the new guys vs the big boy teams.

I tend to agree with you dressed, but they are playing extremely well from the small sample. They are playing college level athletes regardless of conference or division.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree with you dressed, but they are playing extremely well from the small sample. They are playing college level athletes regardless of conference or division.
There's a wide range of levels in both skill and athleticism in the college game. Good news is we don't have long to wait. Sat will tell us a bunch. I actually think our guys will test well against the domers, but as for right now, it's still in question.

We all get "starry eyed" when we look at athletes on the field. I'll take the kids with heart and determination all day. That's what I think we got is a group of guys that have a chip on their shoulder and bout to prove something.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Orwin had a "slipperiness" that made people miss at times when it seemed like he would surely be tackled (e.g. the touchdown in the Sunbowl vs USCw) and, although it is early, I see the same ability with Qua. Hopefully this weeks game will confirm that opinion.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think Robbie has been our most athletic Aback so far. Orwin is next. I wanna see the new guys vs the big boy teams.
I wouldn't disagree on Godhigh, a remarkable story. Seemed to me Smith, while showing a certain uniqueness in running the rocket toss, lacked that certain decisiveness and explosion to put a foot in the ground and veer away from tacklers. That is not to say he wasn't outstanding, though. But like you let's get a look at them in the meat of our schedule.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as BB goes, I'll say this: Skov gives us pretty much the same threat as Days. He is a different kid but many of the same elements are there. He is big and strong, gets the tough yards, is maybe not fast enough to beat angles but plenty fast enough to hold a lead once past the defense. The one thing he does better than any of his predecessors is block. Marshall is just plain more explosive than anybody since JD. He can juke and burst leaving everybody in the wake of his jet wash. They are a GREAT pair and the sum is way better than their individual parts.

At this point, I like our current crop of ABs over any other in terms of future potential. RG was a fantasic player for us. In many ways he has set the standard. However, we didn't reap thie benefits of his presence until he was a RS Junior. These current kids are putting their stamp on the position in the FIRST year of their eligibility. They are not necessarily as physical as RG or OS, but they have great hands, speed, instincts, effort, and wiggle. When we call a pass play, for the first time in the CPJ era, we have a true 4 wides and a QB who can get the ball to them on time and in the right place. Don't think for a minute that hasn't opened things up.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
.... When we call a pass play, for the first time in the CPJ era, we have a true 4 wides and a QB who can get the ball to them on time and in the right place. Don't think for a minute that hasn't opened things up.
That is a great observation. They can go get it and catch it when they get there. I think I remember you making the call on Searcy back in the spring, Good eye.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree abacks look good but we need to see them against better competition to know for sure. We had a couple of years in there of 11 and 12 where they were not good blockers orwin included. Godhigh could and why begin playing and then he turned out to also have some wiggle. Hard to comment on 13 because of lack of qb play. 14 they blocked well as Bostic and others grew up. We shall see

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the analysis, Boomer.

My one comment having re-watched the first half was that Tulane's idea of putting a big safety at MLB seemed to work. I noticed our guys were getting out to block him, then they were simply whiffing because he danced around them. He seems much quicker than our OTs and while they were there to make a block, he was successful at simply eluding them. I heard CPJ say in his post game comments we did better in the 2nd half, and I haven't watched the 2nd half, so I am not sure what changed. But it looked like a sound strategy on Tulane's part.
I was at the game and have not watched the film but CPJ said in the press conference after the game that they were pinching on the DL and scraping which is a common way to play the veer. Of course the counter option slows down the Mike backer so although we want the
tackle to get to Mike there are some scheme things that
CPJ did to help the issue. It appeared in the second half they went to using the B gap fill by the Mike and stepping out the DE for QB or X stunting the OLB. Nothing worked!

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Boomer, my thoughts-
-Was that a new play that JT passed short to Qua for TD in south EZ? he slipped up field with other rec (other Aback?)sliding out to sideline ,almost a delay pattern
- TaQuon Marshall has got to be one of the biggest surprises in PJ tenure--a true Fr with almost no running back exp learning to block and play so quickly,he looks bigger than reported also
-yep,Summers is a man blocking now
-I was thinking maybe the OGs/ctr were not doing well as the inside runs were less impressive
-I can't wait to see some wrinkles for ND-- an Aback pass? lots of OL overloads? a reverse?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
we have skill players I could only dream about having in the past!
Thomas may be the main reason, and is, but those Abacks and Thomas are allowing Johnson to slip in some clever little twists in the backfield. Saw one Saturday I had not seen: the old crossbuck with a handoff to the second back behind Thomas, or at least with the left hand moving away. Pretty neat. It at least gives other teams something to worry about. They don't have enough as it is. Betcha Van Gorder is On RX sleeping pills this week.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
What was CPJ so sore about at the end of the 1st quarter? On watching the replay, he mouthed to two players "You're out" while motioning to the bench, and then signaled for two players on the bench to come in... Unfortunately the camera angle didn't show the rejects nor the replacements...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What was CPJ so sore about at the end of the 1st quarter? On watching the replay, he mouthed to two players "You're out" while motioning to the bench, and then signaled for two players on the bench to come in... Unfortunately the camera angle didn't show the rejects nor the replacements...
That is a good question, because I thought he took out the guy he had just put in, but he was really agitated. Entertaining, too. Wonder how long it takes the players to get used to that kind of combustion and passion.