Film Study Film Study - Offense vs Duke

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Observations:

- Shaq should have won the Heisman as he was obviously the best player in the country at the end of the year. Whenever we needed a couple of yards, we knew where to get them. Always.
- Laskey and Days found creases to squirt thru for first downs that Skov can't. It seems to me that on many carries, if Skov is half a hole to the right or left, he gets the first down. It reminds me of Anthony Allen's first few games as B Back. He wasn't getting much. By mid to late season, he was gashing people. Hopefully Skov learns what Allen did.
- Ted Roof must not be good at putting together an initial plan and getting the players to execute it. He is, however, maybe the best we have had at making in-game adjustments. Every game is beginning to look like last year's uga and Clemson games. We get stomped in the first quarter. From then on, we're hard to move on defense. Roof was a good hire, and I'm very glad he is our defensive coach. We are beginning to get there on defense I think.
- No criticism of Butker, but if he manages one more touchback on kickoffs in that game, I think we win. That return was a kick in the nuts when I thought we were about to take over control.
- I think if Byerly is healthy, he gets two or three series that would have given Duke a change of pace and might have given JT a chance to relax and focus.
- The pieces are still there. This OL has the talent and experience to be good. JT is still a good option QB. Jeune and JT seems to be getting together in the passing game. Butker hit some big kicks. The defense is better and has some depth.
- But Johnson has to turn it around this week. Lose to UNC at home, and then go to Clemson riding a three game losing streak. I'm most sure we recover from that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Observations:

- Shaq should have won the Heisman as he was obviously the best player in the country at the end of the year. Whenever we needed a couple of yards, we knew where to get them. Always.
- Laskey and Days found creases to squirt thru for first downs that Skov can't. It seems to me that on many carries, if Skov is half a hole to the right or left, he gets the first down. It reminds me of Anthony Allen's first few games as B Back. He wasn't getting much. By mid to late season, he was gashing people. Hopefully Skov learns what Allen did.
- Ted Roof must not be good at putting together an initial plan and getting the players to execute it. He is, however, maybe the best we have had at making in-game adjustments. Every game is beginning to look like last year's uga and Clemson games. We get stomped in the first quarter. From then on, we're hard to move on defense. Roof was a good hire, and I'm very glad he is our defensive coach. We are beginning to get there on defense I think.
- No criticism of Butker, but if he manages one more touchback on kickoffs in that game, I think we win. That return was a kick in the nuts when I thought we were about to take over control.
- I think if Byerly is healthy, he gets two or three series that would have given Duke a change of pace and might have given JT a chance to relax and focus.
- The pieces are still there. This OL has the talent and experience to be good. JT is still a good option QB. Jeune and JT seems to be getting together in the passing game. Butker hit some big kicks. The defense is better and has some depth.
- But Johnson has to turn it around this week. Lose to UNC at home, and then go to Clemson riding a three game losing streak. I'm most sure we recover from that.
Good points, especially the first two. We have to be able to get yards between the tackles. Everything else feeds off of that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure we're reading too much into the "smirk." When CPJ is hot, he says a lot of colorful/comical things. He may have told one guy to get his head out of his arse and another guy thought it funny, I dunno and neither does anybody else.

If somebody did, in fact, smirk as a sign of disrespect, that is a very bad sign and a team leader needs to set him straight.
Put it this way: if we want to know for sure, wait for the next announcement that X or Y has been suspended for violation of team rules. And that is just if he is lucky. Because if somebody did and gets away with it this team is taking on the tone of the '13 team.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, back to the actual game. It looked like Duke was blitzing all the time, just sending a backer (nickel back maybe?) to the line just before the snap. He'd stand right at an A gap, then burst through at the snap. Little squirt, hard for a lineman to block. So at the snap he'd be in the backfield right away. He often wasn't the guy to make the tackle, but it seems he forced our line to adjust enough to disrupt the rest of the blocking scheme.

This is all going from memory from being at the game, but did anyone else see this?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Really enjoy your posts Boomer.

Question about this particular sentence. How did you come up with these numbers? What qualifies as an ineffective block? Is this for one play or multiple ineffective blocks on one play? Is what you are quantifying the same as a "loaf" or?

I love our offense and am questioning because I want to understand better what we are doing right/wrong and feel you probably know better than myself.
Maybe I should clarify. We had 82 offensive snaps. Multiply that by 5 offensive lineman = 410 total blocks to be made by offensive lineman. 69 of those, by my subjective observation, either did nothing positive, or flat out caused a play to blow up. Sometimes there were more than one on a single play. TIFIW. The nature of each varied greatly, whether it was turning a guy loose and blocking nobody, or getting whipped, or trying to block somebody who was already taken while another guy runs past you, or just plain whiffing.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I went back and looked at the "Smirk". I did not recognize the player at the time. I now know who it was. On second viewing it appears to me that the smirker listened to CPJ give the riot act to another kid near him and probably heard something funny to his ears. CPJ can be kind of colorful. Maybe I am over sensitive and it is the Marine in me coming out. One thing we learned VERY fast was never, and I mean NEVER, laugh when somebody else was getting the treatment. I had heard some incredibly funny stuff during that stage of my life, but I learned to laugh on the inside and keep a stone face on the outside. Maybe I blew it out of proportion. It just chapped my rear at the time because we were getting beat and looked horrible in the process. I couldn't see the humor in any of it.

Declinometer

Banned
Ok, back to the actual game. It looked like Duke was blitzing all the time, just sending a backer (nickel back maybe?) to the line just before the snap. He'd stand right at an A gap, then burst through at the snap. Little squirt, hard for a lineman to block. So at the snap he'd be in the backfield right away. He often wasn't the guy to make the tackle, but it seems he forced our line to adjust enough to disrupt the rest of the blocking scheme.

This is all going from memory from being at the game, but did anyone else see this?
Yes

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow

So you've been taking a class in conversation?

So anyway, with our wide OL splits, how is that supposed to be blocked? Does that little guy change our presnap blocking assignments? CPJ alluded to guys needing to trust their keys; I wonder if that's what he meant.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Boomer you nailed it. Do we have younger and inexperienced on the edges. Yes , but that ain't got nothing to do with half the other teams defense in our backfield at the snap of the ball.
It has everything to do with it. We had receivers last year that other teams feared deep in one on one coverage. We are loosing the numbers game at the los. Yes we are missing blocks and we missed blocks last year. The difference is we had that third down bail out receiver. Defenses had to have at least one safety back deep to prevent the long ball. This year that is an extra rusher therefore pass protection suffers. I hear people wanting more smoke routes. Those routes don't work if you can't threaten the defender deep.

But don't panic. Very rarely at GT do we have all the pieces. Coach Johnson is a master at making the best of what he has and he will do the same this year. It may not translate to as many wins as we thought at the beginning of the season but we have always had problems the "next" year. The program and the recruiting is putting us in a position to be competitive at a greater consistency than in the past. The staff is learning how to balance recruiting to attempt to put it all together at one time like last year and be more consistent.

This animal called GT football is not like other places. We all want to hit that stride where we are dominant for multiple years and I believe it is possible with this staff. Don't panic, stay positive. CPJ is extremely competitive and will conduct the program accordingly. Dont worry about leadership and attitudes etc. The coaches on this staff know how to handle those issues I assure you. Let's stay behind them and see if we can get to that next level over time. That's the one thing we haven't tried since CBD.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
This is the play I was referring to. 4:55 to go in the first quarter. This is the play before the bad snap/punt.

It sets up well:

View attachment 1206

Then JT quick pitches it, and we get swarmed. I'm still not totally sure how it happened. After the play, it looked like CPJ said something to JT like "why did you pitch it"?

/
I noticed that as well and said as much on a GT FB fan page. JT pitched early a couple of times where I think if he had attacked the LOS instead of pitching we would have had a couple of huge gains. Also noticed that JT was holding the ball in the BBACK belly an unusual ammt of time before being able to pull it and get outside. That seems to me like the DE are just holding their place against our OT and waiting for JT to make a decision 1 way or the other and it paid off big time with our lineman completely whiffing, diving at ankles, or just not firing off the ball at their man. I read somewhere that Devine is really struggling about 70% of the time on who to block and just standing straight up. He's just not athletic enough to move quickly at his active weight. I say we replace him the next game if he cannot get it done.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I went back and looked at the "Smirk". I did not recognize the player at the time. I now know who it was. On second viewing it appears to me that the smirker listened to CPJ give the riot act to another kid near him and probably heard something funny to his ears. CPJ can be kind of colorful. Maybe I am over sensitive and it is the Marine in me coming out. One thing we learned VERY fast was never, and I mean NEVER, laugh when somebody else was getting the treatment. I had heard some incredibly funny stuff during that stage of my life, but I learned to laugh on the inside and keep a stone face on the outside. Maybe I blew it out of proportion. It just chapped my rear at the time because we were getting beat and looked horrible in the process. I couldn't see the humor in any of it.
Think it was '10 uga game and Coach was giving Tevin an earful in a huddle. Nesbitt was cracking up, so I imagine Paul can be a little colorful with his disappointment.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

I remember the same thing, Boomer, from 40+ years ago when I was in Basic Training. The DI's butt chewings were comedic riffs involving homosexuality, female anatomy, sex with animals, sexual perversions, in-breeding, prostitution, sadomasochism, and excrement designed to make somebody else laugh so they could start all over again on that somebody else. Eventually you learned total facial control no matter the situation. I suspect a lot of the younger football players have not mastered that skill yet.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I remember the same thing, Boomer, from 40+ years ago when I was in Basic Training. The DI's butt chewings were comedic riffs involving homosexuality, female anatomy, sex with animals, sexual perversions, in-breeding, prostitution, sadomasochism, and excrement designed to make somebody else laugh so they could start all over again on that somebody else. Eventually you learned total facial control no matter the situation. I suspect a lot of the younger football players have not mastered that skill yet.
So how long before your DIs got really tough with you? I had one who on occasion could make Gunnery Sgt. Hartman and Full Metal jacket sound like a nursery school. Never needed to learn a curse word after that. Of course there weren't any more.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
[QUOTE="Ggee87, post: 181254, member:
I read somewhere that Devine is really struggling about 70% of the time on who to block and just standing straight up. He's just not athletic enough to move quickly at his active weight. I say we replace him the next game if he cannot get it done.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you read that but doesn't mesh with what I've seen. I think Samire has been more solid than some of the vets around him.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
I noticed that as well and said as much on a GT FB fan page. JT pitched early a couple of times where I think if he had attacked the LOS instead of pitching we would have had a couple of huge gains. Also noticed that JT was holding the ball in the BBACK belly an unusual ammt of time before being able to pull it and get outside. That seems to me like the DE are just holding their place against our OT and waiting for JT to make a decision 1 way or the other and it paid off big time with our lineman completely whiffing, diving at ankles, or just not firing off the ball at their man. I read somewhere that Devine is really struggling about 70% of the time on who to block and just standing straight up. He's just not athletic enough to move quickly at his active weight. I say we replace him the next game if he cannot get it done.
Didn't see where devine couldn't get it done if he is missing a man to block ,is it not for the coach to tell him what to do.but if he is holding your team back please bench him .he only being playing football for 15 years.imo change it up a little bit .use him in a way he can help and not laying on the ground getting trampled.my observation of the last game he really sacrificed his body a lot. I would like to read what you read about the 70%.do you have a link?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Didn't see where devine couldn't get it done if he is missing a man to block ,is it not for the coach to tell him what to do.but if he is holding your team back please bench him .he only being playing football for 15 years.imo change it up a little bit .use him in a way he can help and not laying on the ground getting trampled.my observation of the last game he really sacrificed his body a lot. I would like to read what you read about the 70%.do you have a link?
Devine is punishing people. Just watch the film. He is not perfectly consistent, but if he puts his hat or arms on you, he is going to win the battle. Trust me. I have seen him struggle a little with scooping and I have seen him let a guy or two up under him at the goal line, but overall, I would say he is our most dominant OL player. Pass protection, for him, is well beyond his peers. We are lucky he plays for us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Devine is punishing people. Just watch the film. He is not perfectly consistent, but if he puts his hat or arms on you, he is going to win the battle. Trust me. I have seen him struggle a little with scooping and I have seen him let a guy or two up under him at the goal line, but overall, I would say he is our most dominant OL player. Pass protection, for him, is well beyond his peers. We are lucky he plays for us.

Would have used like, but it is too weak.

He is doing fine!!!!

Love how coach is getting pt for younger players (klock- I nick name him wild thing- a real head hunter) while Sham gets some rest. In tulane game a lb stepped in the gap and Sham drove him into the ground and laid on him.

Last edited:

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow

Four or five times during the game, maybe more... The LB would shoot into the gap, back up a step or two, then shoot the gap again, probably trying to time his moves with the snap. I kept thinking, who's going to pick up this guy and keep him from getting in the backfield?