Film Study Film Study - Offense vs Duke

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Boomer. At last a voice of sanity on a board gone nuts. One of the problems was highlighted the last two weeks: Tech can plug and polay the WRs and Abacks in terms of athleticism and skill. It cannot plug and play with the "want to" -- Jeune vs. Smelter, for instance -- or the experience. People forget our Abacks last season were seniors. 22 vs. 18 in age, four years experience vs. three games in many instances.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
We ran a triple option (I'll have to go back to get the exact time) where we had a hat on a hat on all defensive players, plus we had JT and an A-back. That should have developed to a 2 on 0 -- That should be a touchdown! Literally, every single player missed their blocks and we ended up getting dropped for a loss.

/

I saw that play from the stands yesterday, and just about lost it. One Duke defender just sort of ran through all the blockers to make a tackle. It's like everybody expected someone else to block him. "Whaaaa...? I thought you had him!"

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
CPJ said Jeune was the only skill guy that made big plays. I think he left Snoddy out. Snoddy had a pretty good day running the ball. Both guys need to embrace more physical play and blocking though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just looked at the stat line which shows Snoddy with 2 carries for 12 yds. So I guess I was giving him credit for plays made by T Marshall or Lynch maybe.

Someone in chat during the game said Henderson went in to play. I didn't notice it and he's not listed in player participation. Has his shirt been burned yet?

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I saw that play from the stands yesterday, and just about lost it. One Duke defender just sort of ran through all the blockers to make a tackle. It's like everybody expected someone else to block him. "Whaaaa...? I thought you had him!"

This is the play I was referring to. 4:55 to go in the first quarter. This is the play before the bad snap/punt.

It sets up well:

IMG_3058.JPG

Then JT quick pitches it, and we get swarmed. I'm still not totally sure how it happened. After the play, it looked like CPJ said something to JT like "why did you pitch it"?

/

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
IMO.
The ab could have been further past the qb towards sideline (middle backer is even in full pursuit to hash) . The ab maybe too bowed away from line of scrimage. Looks like 3 is going to block too soon and low so defender can recover down line quickly. Wr looks like in good position but his defender is way back so maybe should have come into the hash to cut off middle backer

Not bad set up for sure. The last 2 games the defenders fly to the next option fter getting off blocks. We are not good but not that bad

Short term to stop over pursuit we could go with block like going left and run right. IMO it really looks like a naked ( only JT knew) reverse and faked the pitch could have been a big gainer.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I watched it a few times. Honestly, I'm confused. I think it was a double option (JT + the A back). There was no mesh, so not a triple. Maybe CPJ said "why'd you pitch it. Toss" which would imply it was supposed to be a rocket toss and was a busted play.

Someone else can take a run at it. When I saw it live, I couldn't believe how good it looked, and how bad it ended up!

/

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Boomer, as usual. It must take hours to break down every play, and like others have said, I couldn't do it because I would get angry, wouldn't have the patience to deal with it, or wouldn't have the expertise to describe what I saw correctly. I hope we can get it fixed. I certainly don't have the answers and I doubt many of us do. Maybe CPJ has some and will get it fixed.

I've been watching football and reading about football for a long time, but am no way an expert, but this is the main issue that I saw while watching the game yesterday:

Duke had 6-8 guys coming at us hard and fast from the box on every single play, we had 5 OL (duh) and maybe 1 extra AB or BB to block 6-8 guys. You will lose that battle most of the time I would think. I felt like a screen pass or some type of dump off would possibly loosen things up, do any of you guys think that would have helped? Maybe the weather prevented some of that, I don't know, but I just felt like most of their team was blitzing in some form or fashion on every single play, and we had no answer for it. Hopefully we can find one...

It was frustrating to watch and I definitely didn't act like an adult after the game so I apologize for that. I'll be rooting the team on no matter what, and will look forward to talking with you guys/ladies no matter how rough it gets, or how great it gets if we turn things around. Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Boomer, as usual. It must take hours to break down every play, and like others have said, I couldn't do it because I would get angry, wouldn't have the patience to deal with it, or wouldn't have the expertise to describe what I saw correctly. I hope we can get it fixed. I certainly don't have the answers and I doubt many of us do. Maybe CPJ has some and will get it fixed.

I've been watching football and reading about football for a long time, but am no way an expert, but this is the main issue that I saw while watching the game yesterday:

Duke had 6-8 guys coming at us hard and fast from the box on every single play, we had 5 OL (duh) and maybe 1 extra AB or BB to block 6-8 guys. You will lose that battle most of the time I would think. I felt like a screen pass or some type of dump off would possibly loosen things up, do any of you guys think that would have helped? Maybe the weather prevented some of that, I don't know, but I just felt like most of their team was blitzing in some form or fashion on every single play, and we had no answer for it. Hopefully we can find one...

It was frustrating to watch and I definitely didn't act like an adult after the game so I apologize for that. I'll be rooting the team on no matter what, and will look forward to talking with you guys/ladies no matter how rough it gets, or how great it gets if we turn things around. Go Jackets!
Did we throw any smoke route passes to the wr's or any swing passes to the Bback? The former was money last year and the latter was money vs ND.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Did we throw any smoke route passes to the wr's or any swing passes to the Bback? The former was money last year and the latter was money vs ND.
Not that I saw. Maybe I missed one, but I felt like it would've been there. Their DBs looked to be off the ball quite a bit most of the time. Maybe we just don't have the talent outside to take advantage of it?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

In case you are wondering, film review started for me this morning at 7:45 and lasted until a little after noon when I started the write up. It takes a while, but it helps keep me sane too. If I didn't do this, I would probably be in the panic crowd. When you look closely enough, you can easily see how this stuff is correctable. We just need to do it. You know, there were a TON of really good blocks thrown by GT players during the game. We just need to eliminate the whiffs and correct the assignment errors etc.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Great job - at nd I was really down based on speed of their defense to ball.
Then watched the replay and saw lots of opportunities for correction.
The last 3 min of game it looked like we had turned up a notch so I was very optimistic we would be agressive in play calls at duke.

At Duke we were conservative and would have still won if not for two special team let downs. ( Defense did their signature "really step it up as the game goes on". Can't wait for gt to have sucess in special teams to win some games )

With out the fumble on last drive we could have had a 2014 comeback like gsu or vt. We were close enough to win at the end even though we did not produce on offense.

the two scrb games really got us off to a bad start - no reps for starters and over confidence by freshman. We are grounded now and should do well from here on till we play Clem, etc.

I love the jackets.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I appreciate the break down as usual. But it seems to me the last 2 games both D's are just crashing/blitzing hard on almost every play. And we can not burn them on a slant or seam route to save our lives. You hit 1 or 2 big passes from them bringing too many guys in the box and it would open up things. But since we can't there is no respect for our passing game and teams are going to continue to bring 9 guys up to the line and we are going to struggle.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
But since we can't there is no respect for our passing game and teams are going to continue to bring 9 guys up to the line and we are going to struggle.

That was the biggest thing I noticed - nothing but green grass 5 yards beyond the LoS and nobody there.

If we can get everybody on the same page blockingwise, we should be ok - but it may take more than a week to fix this.

Another thing I noticed -I'm sure everyone else did too - is that if Marshall can get just a couple more yards past the LoS, he's a threat to break one loose. Duke, imho, played a very risky defensive scheme and we just could not make them pay for it. CPJ must have been going nuts on the sideline - we'd have scored on every play against that defense late last year. No wonder he was going off on the OL between series.

As always, Boomer, thanks for making good sense out of appeared to be absolute nonsense on Saturday. Even to my very untrained eye, I could easily see our problem as embodied in a single statement from your analysis: "The ability is there, but the team work and cohesion just isn't."

When it is clicking on all cylinders, there are few things more beautiful to watch than a CPJ offense. But if it isn't clicking, it can be ugly beyond description...as it was Saturday. It's time for this team to come together and play for each other like they did last year and like the National Champs did in 1990. Those that won't totally commit ought to ride the pine or take the long slide down prima donna lane and beyond, IMHO, individual talent be damned.
i was going to suggest that maybe we have a few, that despite their ability, just might not have the "right stuff".

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the play I was referring to. 4:55 to go in the first quarter. This is the play before the bad snap/punt.

It sets up well:

View attachment 1206

Then JT quick pitches it, and we get swarmed. I'm still not totally sure how it happened. After the play, it looked like CPJ said something to JT like "why did you pitch it"?

/

That picture sums up the last two weeks perfectly. I had to look hard because I initially only thought we had 4 olineman. Turns out 2 were just laying on top of each other. At first glance you will notice that our whole line is either on the ground or on their way to the ground. If you look close you will see that we have 3 lineman "blocking" the same guy. Two of them are laying side by side, right at the defender's feet, while another is falling on him and our RT is laying on top of our RG's legs. Don't think that's what was supposed to happen.

I have read a lot about inexperience of our skill guys being a major factor of why we are struggling. While I agree that is an issue. I think we have a serious shortage of leadership on that side of the ball.

We have some older guys in the team, but it takes more than being an upperclassman to be a leader. The impact of Days, Smelter and Mason Cannot be overstated in my opinion. I don't think Smelter or Mason were very vocal leaders, but they worked their butt off and did things the right way. Guys on the team knew they had to play hard and play through the whistle because those guys did it on every play! Days busted his butt too and did whatever was asked of him, but that's not why I think he is missed most. His personality was infectious. He was always happy. A positive influence in the locker room, on the sidelines and most importantly, in the huddle. He wouldn't let guys hang their heads. We don't have that guy right now and desperately need one.

Boomer made a comment yesterday about lineman smirking about something PJ said during the game. That wouldn't have happened last year. I don't think it will happen when guys like Will Bryan or Klock are upperclassman either. They just don't seem like the type of guys to put up with that crap. Joe and Chamberlain seem like good guys, but they also seem like the class clown types that like to goof off and don't respond well to being yelled at. Devine doesn't seem like a guy that would respond well to being yelled at either. Quiet teddy bear type guy to me. Mason was clearly the glue that held that group together last year. Hopefully someone will step up. Maybe Burden or Braun.

Matt E

GT Athlete
It will never happen because it's "not what we do", but wish we would pit JT in the shotgun on obvious passing downs, especially when a team is being as aggressive as Duke was last week. JT takes 7 and sometimes 9 step drops and by the time he stops his drop he has someone in his face. To me he could see the pressure much better 5 years deep in the shotgun. Heck, maybe the A backs could run a hot route in that situation? Seems like we run 9 cuts all day.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Something else to keep in mind that PJ pointed out in the post-game presser: our skill guys aren't making plays either when they have the ball. In particular, when asked about the B-Backs he said that they aren't finding the creases that DO show up. Yes, our OL has been playing very weird. But we've also got 3 new B-Backs, one of whom is a "bull in a china shop", another who dances too much, and a third who can't stay healthy, but is possibly the best of the bunch.

I do apologize in advance for the commercial, but GT Bob does such a good job with these videos that he deserves a few bucks for his hard work.

GT Final drive vs. UGA

Despite Laskey bobbling the ball, watch how many times he cuts to find a crease. And not picking on Skov, but I get the feeling he probably would've lowered his head and just rammed into Perkins' back ... again, due to years of training to just put his head down and bull forward. By his own admission he said he is a contact-oriented runner.

But I feel this whole series demonstrates what we did so well last year vs. what we are not doing well this year.

The sequence of plays from the Laskey belly play go

Belly Left
Rocket Left
Dive Right (it's subtle, but watch his cut after he gets the ball)
Rocket Right (note the cut back inside, despite the play being designed to go outside)
Belly Right (from Heavy Right formation)

The companion play to the Belly is the Rocket Sweep. Note the last two plays go Rocket Right and Belly Right. On the Belly play Justin reverse pivots, extends his arms as if he's tossing to Perk, but gives to Laskey. Perk carries out the fake catch and the OLB and CB fire up to stop him ... except ... oops ... Laskey has the ball inside for a TD.

So why aren't we running Rocket Sweep to set up Belly? It's a good question. Maybe PJ just isn't confident enough to run it with young A-Backs and WRs. He's said that if something doesn't look good in practice he won't call it in a game (makes sense to me). Maybe in practice we look like this:

(note the whiffs by the inside WR and the A-Back on the OLB - credit to the back for outrunning guys):

Rocket Sweep almost blown up

Notre Dame certainly has the athletes on defense to bring the ball carrier down, and even Duke has upgraded its talent recently. At the level we play, I seriously doubt there's anyone in the league other than perhaps Wake Forest that we can just flat-out outrun.

tldr; our OL isn't playing well, but the skill guys aren't helping.