Film Study Film Study - Offense vs Duke

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you are wondering what defense Duke played and whether they would copy ND and the stuff the domers tried against us, don't. They pretty much played the VT defense. It was a 4-3 throughout, with a full dose of blitzing A gaps. They varied who took the A gap. Sometimes a safety would come up, sometimes it was a LB. They fired corners semi-frequently and seemed to know our tendencies. On third and long, they would bring 6 and spy JT (in case of a draw) with a LB. They always looked ready for the stuff we tried, whether it was a reverse or a QB draw. They were very well coached and knew their keys. In 3rd and 4th and short the box was filled with 9 players within 2 yards of the LOS much of the time. In general, I would say they felt they needed 7 guys very close to the LOS most downs just to have a chance to stop us.

For me, it is kind of troublesome, watching the body language of our kids. For the entire game it just looked like DUKE was happier to be playing football than we were. Sure, things went well early for them and it is more fun when you are ahead, but, if you don't love being out there, why play?

From watching the film again, our defense really put us in good position to win the game. They gave the offense short fields on many, what should have been, momentum shifting plays, but we just didn't cash in. Obviously, blocking was an issue and I am going to do the best I can to describe what was going on out there. I knew before I started that I was going to see some bad stuff, but I want to give you all a description that means something. To give it some objectivity, I decided to watch every player, every snap, and record if they did something ineffectual. If they took nobody and didn't positively effect the play, if they did take somebody but got whipped, or if they took the wrong guy - something like that. The numbers are pretty staggering. Before sharing them with you, I want to make sure I am clear. I felt like we had an advantage on the inside, in terms of physicality and manpower. I really do. The most common problem I could see was a failure to get line checks made with the blitzing players. We turned a lot of guys loose that made the plays. I am sorry, but if your assignment is the safety or a MLB when you release from the LOS and you see a guy blitzing the MESH from the OLB position, you should pick him up and forget about the other guy. We were continually running past guys who made tackles. A couple times we blocked each other instead of a pass rusher too.

By my count, we ran 82 snaps. Here are the numbers by player on the interior (I will address skill position blocking later): Chamberlain 20, Braun 7, Burden 11, Devine 10, Joe 18, Klock 3 (he didn't get a ton of snaps). Please keep in mind, that each of these guys made a ton of really good blocks too, devastating blocks. The problem is that it doesn't matter if there are 4 good blocks on a play and a guy who was turned loose makes a tackle close to the LOS. Not every one of these recorded mistakes resulted in a bad play, but many did. By my count there were 69 ineffective blocks in 82 offensive snaps. Some of them may have happened on the same play, but you get my drift. We didn't have a ton of well executed plays. Before you go crazy on the OTs, please keep in mind that more often, their assignements are second level related. With that said, it is what it is, a bad showing on a day where we could have dominated. There are just too many plays where we release and get nobody, when a guy within reach of our blocker made a tackle unabated. By my guess, I would say 25% of these recorded numbers were a guy getting whipped. It happens, but in our case, it wasn't the main reason we got beat. In terms of pass protection, they usually brought the house with one guy on a delay. With our splits it was tough, and we often turned more guys loose than the difference in head count, if you know what I mean.

We didn't run a ton to the outside yesterday, however, when we did, the skill guys left a lot to be desired in terms of blocking. We don't seem to enjoy that aspect of play as a group. Overall Ricky Jeune played a better game, but I have to take issue with his willingness to hammer people. He is pretty good with the stand up blocking game down field on the CBs, but there were a couple times where he had the perfect opportunity to slam a guy's breast bone into his spine while cracking to the inside and he just didn't do it. It was almost like he was avoiding the contact. Smelter would have laid a couple guys out yesterday. Here are the numbers for skill position guys on snaps where they could positively effect the play blocking but didn't, usually resulting in something getting blown up: Willis 6, Jeune 4, Messick 1, Stewart 2, Snoddy 3, Lynch 2, MMarshall 1, TMarshall 1, Skov 1. When you consider how little we tried outside the box, it is obviously a problem. There were other plays where I thought our WRs made terrible decisions about reading where to go. One such play that comes to mind was where there was a jail break on JT and Stewart's CB in coverage backed off 20 yards. What does Brad do? Instead of squatting in the open area and giving JT someplace to go with the ball, he turns and runs right to the CB essentially making himself covered. Really?

For the second week in a row, I don't think JT played a great game. He had some very difficult stuff to deal with, but also did some things fundamentally wrong, when there were plays to be made. He failed to force commits a couple times on the option that cost him, usually when he was trying to make a play himself. One play he got five yards himself when he could have run right at his pitch key instead and gotten the ball to Snoddy for a huge gain. There was another play where he read the mesh a little slow and fumbled the ball. Had he gotten the pull/pitch done in one motion (Snoddy again) it was set up for a race down the sideline. He was on the run a lot, but had happy feet sometimes too, when he DID have a pocket, causing a bad throw. All in all, there were 6 plays where I felt he did the wrong thing. Far from horrible, but it seemed like it happened at the worst possible times.

Many may question CPJ's play calling. I really don't all that much. It looked to me like we should have been more effective on the inside. I may have possibly tried a couple more chucks down the field off dive play action because they were really cheating up. I think the rain deterred us from trying it and simultaneously embolded them to use such blitzing tactics.

I see us as being at a bit of a cross roads. Are we willing to do what is needed to get some of this stuff cleaned up? We crushed some people and blew them off the ball at times. The ability is there, but the team work and cohesion just isn't. With our brand of football, you can't just have 80% of people doing the right thing on a given play. The stuff we saw from Duke yesterday was stuff we have seen before A HECK OF A LOT. I can hear CPJ right now on his radio show tomorrow. "they didn't do anything we haven't seen before" and he will be right.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
You know, when the option is working well, it's often said that everyone on the defense has to do their job to keep a play from going the distance. That is, if one defender screws up (an outside linebacker crashes inside to stop the dive or something), and leaves an opening, the quarterback will make the right read and take it to the house.

I suppose the converse is true. Our offense requires every man to do his job on offense, too, and if any one player fails to do his job, the whole thing falls apart. Run well, it's a thing of beauty. Run poorly, it's... not so pretty.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
JT has to settle down in the pocket some too. I feel for him bc that's easier said than done with the breakdowns we have had in pass pro. Kinda like telling a boxer to keep his gloves up when the other guy has been blasting his midsection.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Didn't get to see the game,saw the numbers--didn't need to see the game---173 yds on ground, 25% passing, 2 runbacks on us --these are the only numbers I needed to see-ugly---I can imagine the rest

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
We ran a triple option (I'll have to go back to get the exact time) where we had a hat on a hat on all defensive players, plus we had JT and an A-back. That should have developed to a 2 on 0 -- That should be a touchdown! Literally, every single player missed their blocks and we ended up getting dropped for a loss.

/

I think I have calmed down enough to comment now. As long as we continue to ole' block on the oline our troubles will continue. Was Shaq that vital to our oline, I sure hope not. We have 4 returned lineman that look like they have never blocked a day in this offensive scheme. I'm to the point of put the young guys in and see if they are more interested. What I saw yesterday was an absolute disgrace. No energy, no effort just like going through the motions. Now where does the blame lie, squarely on the coaches. If you see someone not doing their job, get em out I'd rather lose with th young guys then Lay an egg with the old ones. I know there are many that will disagree with me on this and that is fine watch the tape you will see what I mean.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I said in another thread that I thought a lot of our problem yesterday was field conditions. Combine a wet field and poor footing with inexperience and poor special teams play (the reason we lost) and things can get dicey. I'm betting that a lot of the missed blocks were due to the old OL problem on wet fields; you had better guess right because you won't get a chance to adjust quickly enough if you don't.

I join the rest in thanking you for these write-ups. They're indispensable.

Boomer you nailed it. Do we have younger and inexperienced on the edges. Yes , but that ain't got nothing to do with half the other teams defense in our backfield at the snap of the ball.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not sure why but our starting tackles seem to be struggling at the moment. This is no indictment on them as I've seen both play at a high level in the past too. That being said, I'd like to see more Will Bryan. He seems to have that nasty streak that is so important at the los. I trust the coaches in these matters but more reps for Will should garner good experience to go along with his athleticism and "want to".

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Gernerally
It is true they didn't do anything we had not seen before.
Since we can't effectivly run offense against it, they are doing it a lot more and will do so until we can stop it.
If every body gets his man we are real good.

Specifically
Would like opinion on a thing heard on duke broadcast - duke has under weight linebackers - one is former safety that bulked up. The well coached lb at duke and nd did not take false steps and quickly knew where to go.
Is it likely we can block the SEC size (giant) lb at uga, fsu, msu but not the quicker, more agile and faster but smaller duke LB?
Solution
Maybe the qb keeper or midline or BB off tackle?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well those smaller quicker guys should be easier for our abacks to block than the D Perryman types. I for one ain't buying into that logic. I'd rather face small and fast than big and fast. Good football players are what give us problems; be they Aaron Donald, BJ Rahji, J. Smith, D Perryman, Kam Chancellor, or Cash. I don't think we ever had to face Luke Keuchly....he would have been a headache and a half.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
As always, Boomer, thanks for making good sense out of appeared to be absolute nonsense on Saturday. Even to my very untrained eye, I could easily see our problem as embodied in a single statement from your analysis: "The ability is there, but the team work and cohesion just isn't."

When it is clicking on all cylinders, there are few things more beautiful to watch than a CPJ offense. But if it isn't clicking, it can be ugly beyond description...as it was Saturday. It's time for this team to come together and play for each other like they did last year and like the National Champs did in 1990. Those that won't totally commit ought to ride the pine or take the long slide down prima donna lane and beyond, IMHO, individual talent be damned.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks a bunch Boom. A lot of guys don't realize how long it takes to watch film when you're replaying every down to see every player. I don't have the patience to do that nor the expertise to evaluate what I saw even if I did.

The write up really helps me feel better. I'm disappointed in our veterans. I expected our new guys to make mistakes, not the grizzled vets and that's JT, too. Maybe the comfy confines of BDS cures our ills and gets us back on track.

Coach says our O will go as well or as poorly as our middle 3 linemen play. We've got own the middle or it's no dice. Seems like our tackles matter a good bit, too.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think the game is a bit too fast for our young skill guys at the moment. I am really concerned about our experienced guys. It looks like the inexperience is causing our whole team to play slower. I don't think they have built the trust between each other. I know it could put us in a really bad place if JT and Jordan go down, but I think it is best for the team to put Jordan out there. I think experience in the offense would help more than anything. Reps will help but I don't see us getting it together for several weeks.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@Boomergump 's comment below is what was going through my head while watching the game. How many times did we have someone blow what would become the tackler/disruptor on the play?
"... I am sorry, but if your assignment is the safety or a MLB when you release from the LOS and you see a guy blitzing the MESH from the OLB position, you should pick him up and forget about the other guy."

Better to get 2 or 3 yards than TFL or no gain.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We ran a triple option (I'll have to go back to get the exact time) where we had a hat on a hat on all defensive players, plus we had JT and an A-back. That should have developed to a 2 on 0 -- That should be a touchdown! Literally, every single player missed their blocks and we ended up getting dropped for a loss./

That seemed to happen at least a few times. Just had folks flat out miss the block, absolutely no contact. Heck, too often no even getting in the way of the defender.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
@stylee in the case outlined above when a defender is blitzing the gap or the mesh from the edge. Is it typical for the offensive player to take the most dangerous man or to complete his assignment?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think the game is a bit too fast for our young skill guys at the moment. I am really concerned about our experienced guys. It looks like the inexperience is causing our whole team to play slower. I don't think they have built the trust between each other. I know it could put us in a really bad place if JT and Jordan go down, but I think it is best for the team to put Jordan out there. I think experience in the offense would help more than anything. Reps will help but I don't see us getting it together for several weeks.

This is probably it. The first 2 games got those freshman experience, but not the right tempo. I'm more worried about JT at the moment, we know he is a great gb when everything is clicking. You could tell during the duke game he was frustrated, just hope this doesn't lead to him hurt. Last season, we had a few games that had me worried offensively and defensively, but the team sort of clicked mid season, which is why I still have hope