Film Room Film Room: GT Defense vs. BC Offense Series 1

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Excellent breakdown. We need to give you some software so you can draw on the screen. I know most of what you're saying but for people who don't know our personnel or alignments it's probably harder to follow.

What I find most interesting is how apparent it is that we could play much better with the same personnel. Our LB and DL don't play cohesively with the fits and we seem to make a lot of mental mistakes even over this few number of plays. All our players seem very unsure of how to play off blocks esp linebackers and safeties. I'm disappointed in Kallon shooting vertical and getting pushed back. He's still a liability and I'd love to see what Brandon Adams can contribute.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
OP is clearly a guy who knows the game VERY well (my guess is a coach or an ex college level player)

I'll chip in money to get him some video editing software if you all will. I LOVE this kind of X's and O's talk/breakdown, and would appreciate more from him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, the mental errors were surprising and the impact of those errors seemed striking. Hope we get it cleaned up.

'Preciate these @Ibeeballin

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OP is clearly a guy who knows the game VERY well (my guess is a coach or an ex college level player)

I'll chip in money to get him some video editing software if you all will. I LOVE this kind of X's and O's talk/breakdown, and would appreciate more from him.

He played LB for us 2006-09, iirc

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
DUDE. Thank you SO much. I've learned a metric buttload of stuff about our offense thanks to @Longestday , and I have been absolutely dying for someone to do a film breakdown of our defense! Also, I loved the Chik-Fil-A plug. Maybe they should pay you!

@ilovetheoption : Of course he knows his stuff! He is a former GT LB!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is a labor of love. Thank you.

Is it safe to say that at least one of the take-a-ways from this game is that our defensive players were not quite up to game speed yet? Maybe I am looking for things to give me hope but I wonder if this being the first game of the season meant they had not quite come to grips with the difference between being in position to make a play and actually making the play.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Excellent breakdown. We need to give you some software so you can draw on the screen. I know most of what you're saying but for people who don't know our personnel or alignments it's probably harder to follow.

What I find most interesting is how apparent it is that we could play much better with the same personnel. Our LB and DL don't play cohesively with the fits and we seem to make a lot of mental mistakes even over this few number of plays. All our players seem very unsure of how to play off blocks esp linebackers and safeties. I'm disappointed in Kallon shooting vertical and getting pushed back. He's still a liability and I'd love to see what Brandon Adams can contribute.

Well. I have my thoughts on this. I bet you can guess

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Dope.
Mental mistakes abound but hopefully they get cleaned up. More to the point we play undisciplined and it shows with the mental errors. The defense would see great improvement by being just being sound and disciplined.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I have plenty of easy software/hardware options I could walk you through @Ibeeballin if it's something you want to go on with. Ranging from free to a couple hundred so you know its all relative.

Drop me a PM if you want to talk about it

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

me too. the guy played FB at Tech, has a self-admitted country twang and recommends Chick-Fil-A breakfast biscuits. What's not to like here people? If we need software, let's get it.There's not much that I like but I enjoy collard greens, homegrown tomatoes, good golf courses, fresh seafood and people with intelligence discussing GT FB. I do not know squat about video editing software (so there's that) but if some is needed, count me in. many thanks to the OP here. Nice analysis.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin

Do me a favor. Go back and look at all these plays, and just before snap or right at, tell me what you think about the lb spacing, depth and plane.

In my opinion, our spacing sucks. Our depth is very inconsistent.

our lb spacing and alignments are very sloppy....we are predisposing ourselves to poor position by the time the play develops.

Then you literally watch blitzing linebackers seaking a blocker vs seeing freeman is big sticking the end and gaurd and to arc at the back. Lol. Its so dumb. I just am amazed to watch this each week

Secondly if you would offer, when you played on some of our older salty teams, what would this film session be like? I am watching more errors in 2 plays than you can have in a series.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think the biggest positive we can take from this series or the entire game defensively is that it is not so much jimmy & joes but mental errors that can be corrected in a practice or a walk thru.

@33jacket the spacing is bad mostly because guys are trusting their eyes and attacking downhill. There is a lot of wasted movement with our LBs.

Film session would be long and intense

Last edited:

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm disappointed in Kallon shooting vertical and getting pushed back. He's still a liability and I'd love to see what Brandon Adams can contribute.

@12:50 in the first video, looks like Kallon took a play off & the guard blew him up so much that he cut off 2 linebackers

@6:18 in the second video, Kallon should have had that sack. It's almost like he took an angle that guaranteed he wouldn't be involved in contact.

Not trying to be discouraging. We just can't have plays like that. Kallon looked alright on the other plays. hope he can build off the positives and end his GT career on a high note. . . I also wouldn't mind having Henderson, Glaton, Adams, and Gamble hold down DT and give Kallon a shot at OT. we prob should have switched him years ago

Edit: awesome job @Ibeeballin