Film Room Film Room: GT Defense vs. BC Offense Series 1

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope y'all can get pass my country SC twang and come away with some understanding of our defense during this 1st series. Please leave your thoughts or any questions. Enjoy

Nice job, thanks! One thing I noticed on the last play, the int, the qb missed a wide open receiver. The wr who lined up at the top of the screen, the guy across from our blitzer, had nobody in his time zone for the first down. We had a safety on that side, but he was waaaaaay off, at least 8 yards.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope y'all can get pass my country SC twang and come away with some understanding of our defense during this 1st series. Please leave your thoughts or any questions. Enjoy

Best defensive breakdown on this site! Someone get this dude some pre-cut film, software with pointer buttons and a five minute spot at halftime.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for defensive film review.
It sure seems like we play slow and with little force at line of scrimmage. Are they told to chuck the lineman and then flow to the possible run play.? Seems like our dl just stays within very very small rush lanes. . 2-3 seconds after snap I see them starting to rush for the passer who almost always has a clean pocket .
THE BIG QUESTIONS
If this is the plan , is it the proper plan?
Is it the proper plan due to our players being physically limited ( talent )?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Thanks for defensive film review.
It sure seems like we play slow and with little force at line of scrimmage. Are they told to chuck the lineman and then flow to the possible run play.? Seems like our dl just stays within very very small rush lanes. . 2-3 seconds after snap I see them starting to rush for the passer who almost always has a clean pocket .
THE BIG QUESTIONS
If this is the plan , is it the proper plan?
Is it the proper plan due to our players being physically limited ( talent )?

To the eye, it appears we that way. That maybe bc of scouting that Towles could run or trying to occupy blockers and let our LBs be the star of the Defense

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
To the eye, it appears we that way. That maybe bc of scouting that Towles could run or trying to occupy blockers and let our LBs be the star of the Defense

Nah, they do that against every QB. Runner, statue, whoever. They just occupy their guy and wait. Or at least it seems that way.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's the jimmies and joes. Gotsis used to get in the backfield all the time.

I feel this way, too. It may be knee jerk, but I'd like to see some Glanton and maybe Adams (even as a true-Fr.) just to see if there's a difference. Was hoping Branch would bring some of that, too, but he must be behind still.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's the jimmies and joes. Gotsis used to get in the backfield all the time.

You might be right, DCS. Seems Simmons may be the best in that regard as of right now but he'll need help in the form of push from the inside. Agree with @SidewalkJacket , maybe Glanton, Branch and/or Adams may be answers there. At least be bodies to spell the starters.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What is the ideal college DLman? Big, strong, quick, smart, technical master, instinctive, high motor, uses leverage masterfully. What else? There's just not a ton of guys who come out of high school with all those things. The ones that do, go to Bama or a host of other factories, not GT. We recruit projects. These guys might have a few of these traits, but must develop the others over time. Some never develop. Sometimes that's coaching, but most of the time it doesn't happen because the player ain't got it and never will.

We have some young "projects" in the queue right now. Who knows how they'll pan out. Some will, some won't. It's tough to expect them to come in right away and make a significant impact, though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Good point. I thought the qb would be a tall slow guy, but he was really pretty fast and could have gashed us . Your point is further made because their qb
made some terrible passes (rain aided) and made no great passes to their wr were just ok. I see the strategy - but we need lb to make some big plays.

Hope we do better job at this in 3 weeks as Clemson is a lit more talented. This was game 1.
GO JACKETS.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The only reason I'm not ready to scream jimmies and joes is because the errors that were made are correctable errors. We were in position on a lot of plays just didn't. What does concern me and CPJ reaffirmed on the radio show is the indecisiveness of our players, especially at the LB area. There is too much wasted motion before guys decide to attack

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I'm not ready to scream jimmies and joes is because the errors that were made are correctable errors. We were in position on a lot of plays just didn't. What does concern me and CPJ reaffirmed on the radio show is the indecisiveness of our players, especially at the LB area. There is too much wasted motion before guys decide to attack
A guy can do everything right and still not be effective because they're overmatched physically. I think I'm seeing some of this in addition to correctable errors.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

That's a function of coaching am I correct.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
A guy can do everything right and still not be effective because they're overmatched physically. I think I'm seeing some of this in addition to correctable errors.

I just don't believe that BC recruits as has that much more of a talented defense than GT. Personally I just think it comes down to coaching.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just don't believe that BC recruits as has that much more of a talented defense than GT. Personally I just think it comes down to coaching.
Why can't you believe it? If you put their defensive starters on our team, most of them would instantly move to the top of the depth chart. And not just our team.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The bad angles and false steps are coaching IMO. The indecisiveness may be them trying to compensate for the field conditions and trying to make sure they are standing up instead of falling. It could also just be a lack of confidence.