Favorite Georgia Tech Defensive Stand Of All Time

Captn_65

GT Athlete
Also, speaking of small men and big plays--we got one on 2 yd line vs awbern in '64? when small man (name ? ) stopped 215 lb tiger-back Tucker Frederickson cold to preserve the win.
That was Tommy Jackson (5' 11" 178) that stopped Tucker (6' 2" 220) at the three yard line. Tommy was from Miami and also was a halfback, returned punts, kick offs and had a couple of interceptions at corner back. Auburn was preseason unanimous #1 pick to win the Natty. They scored first on a field goal early. Then Jerry Priestly hit Mike Fortier (RIP) on a short pass late in the 4th and we win 7-3. I was the other corner back. Auburn never recovered the rest of the season. Tucker and I became good friends and went on a trip to Pamplona,Spain to run with the bulls.. Well, I ran and Tucker took the photos.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That was Tommy Jackson (5' 11" 178) that stopped Tucker (6' 2" 220) at the three yard line. Tommy was from Miami and also was a halfback, returned punts, kick offs and had a couple of interceptions at corner back. Auburn was preseason unanimous #1 pick to win the Natty. They scored first on a field goal early. Then Jerry Priestly hit Mike Fortier (RIP) on a short pass late in the 4th and we win 7-3. I was the other corner back. Auburn never recovered the rest of the season. Tucker and I became good friends and went on a trip to Pamplona,Spain to run with the bulls.. Well, I ran and Tucker took the photos.

Great post and interesting to get inside scoop.

Tucker, I believe, became #1 pick in NFL draft.

If I may ask - how did you 2 become friends? During college or after through the NFL?

Thx.

WOW. Do you have any of those photos that you could share from the running of the bulls?

Captn_65

GT Athlete
Great post and interesting to get inside scoop.

Tucker, I believe, became #1 pick in NFL draft.

If I may ask - how did you 2 become friends? During college or after through the NFL?

Thx.
Tucker was the #1 NFL draft choice....NY Giants... When you're a player, you really are a part of a large fraternity. We all go through the same initiation. Winter conditioning...weights...mat drills.Then there's spring practice when the rest of the student body is at the beach. Then the summer workouts have you sweating bullets. Then it's time for fall practice. Finally it's 12-14 weeks of game time. We all do the same work involved to get ready. We all have injuries. We all know the sour taste of defeat and we all know the thrill of victory. We really are a brotherhood. Off the field friendships are easily formed.
Tucker and the boys from Auburn. Namath and the boys from Bama. Preston Ridlehuber, Pat Hodgson and the boys from Georgia. After all, Hotlanta is the natural habitat of the South's most beautiful women. So it's cold beer and hot women. ...........And football is forgotten. It's party time with your brothers.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
How many 3-sport athletes has Tech had? Jerry Priestly shared starting quarterback duties, got good minutes in basketball (may have started some) and pitched on the baseball team. Not great at any of them but was solid in all. I know, times have changed, but still impressive.

Bob

Captn_65

GT Athlete
WOW. Do you have any of those photos that you could share from the running of the bulls?
No...It was 1974 and Tucker had a camera one size up from a disposable one. True snap shots. We all met in Miami..Taz Anderson, Bill Mathis (Clemson & NY Jets) and I left from Atlanta. Tucker and a CBS producer whose name I can't remember left from NY.

66TechGrad

Banned
No...It was 1974 and Tucker had a camera one size up from a disposable one. True snap shots. We all met in Miami..Taz Anderson, Bill Mathis (Clemson & NY Jets) and I left from Atlanta. Tucker and a CBS producer whose name I can't remember left from NY.
Dang. That's too bad. I obviously won't ask you to reveal your identity here, but I have checked and the only member of that team listed as a captain was the defensive captain.

Captn_65

GT Athlete
No...It was 1974 and Tucker had a camera one size up from a disposable one. True snap shots. We all met in Miami..Taz Anderson, Bill Mathis (Clemson & NY Jets) and I left from Atlanta. Tucker and a CBS producer whose name I can't remember left from NY. Black Sally (white girl who dressed mostly in black) arranged the trip. A recently divorced lady was there too. I'd tell all but then I'd never be allowed to post again.
Quick flight to San Juan for a gas-and-go. Off to Barcelona for the cathedral culture. Train to Pamplona to kick some bull's butt. Until you met the bull face to face.
Rental car down to a beach town. Torremolines . Across the Strait of Gibraltar (the Rock is magnificent ) on a hydrofoil to Morocco. Ate pigeon and tipped the belly dancers thru a purple haze of the local home grown.
Back on the hydrofoil. Flew back to NY. Down to the ATL. Slept for four straight days.
And that's how I spent my summer vacation !

66TechGrad

Banned
Gotcha. I just assumed from your name that you were on the '65 team. So you played in the freeze bowl in Athens that year. I took my dad to that game, the only COFH game he ever saw. It was so miserable that at halftime, I asked him if he wanted to leave. He said NO, he was enjoying it too much. That's the closest I ever felt to my dad. BTW, although I am no posting under a different name, I am actually Supersize. For reasons as yet unexplained, Super has been banned from this site.

Captn_65

GT Athlete
Gotcha. I just assumed from your name that you were on the '65 team. So you played in the freeze bowl in Athens that year. I took my dad to that game, the only COFH game he ever saw. It was so miserable that at halftime, I asked him if he wanted to leave. He said NO, he was enjoying it too much. That's the closest I ever felt to my dad. BTW, although I am no posting under a different name, I am actually Supersize. For reasons as yet unexplained, Super has been banned from this site.

66TechGrad

Banned
DID I understand you correctly, or were you on the '65 team but didn't run with the bulls until '74? Don't feel obligated to say anything more here if you don't want to. I don't want to give you away.

foreverjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
What would be your favorite Georgia Tech defensive stand of all time? My favorite Georgia Tech defensive stand was the goal line stand in the 1990 Clemson game that helped Georgia Tech beat Clemson in Bobby Dodd Stadium 21-19.:):cool::D:smuggrin:

Remember it well. Can’t imagine any other defensive stand over the past 50 years being even close. Without it, we don’t win the national championship.