Favorite Georgia Tech Defensive Stand Of All Time

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
1st that jumped to mind was the 2008 FSU fumble.

The 2nd was in 2006 against Maryland. GT was up 27-23 and Maryland gets the ball with 3 minutes left on their own 20 needing a TD.
Work their way down the field and then they complete a 56 yard pass to Darius Heyward-Bey who takes it down to the GT 8 yard line.
1st and goal on the 8 with 0:51 on the clock. Wasn't looking great.
Run it twice for a total of 3 yards. 3rd and goal it's an incomplete pass. But then there's a flag for intentional grounding that backs them up 14 yards.
4th and goal and it's a sack from Michael Johnson for a turnover on downs and Reggie kneels it.

EDIT: See Gold1's post

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Willie Clay had a tough time fielding punts in the bright sunshine vs. UNCheat during the 1990 tie game. Why he kept trying inside our own 10 yard line, I’ll never know(it was not like him at all)? The defense kept them out of the end zone many times, reminiscent of the 1985 Black Watch unit. If memory serves they got a couple of FG’s and a TD, however barely 100 yards of offense. I don’t think GT got to 500, although we were some place in the vicinity. Beat ‘em up & down the field that day. Frustrating.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to go with Isaiah Johnson forcing a fumble at the goal line in 2014 against ugag. It didn't win the game, but that's when I really started to believe that we had them that day.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
What would be your favorite Georgia Tech defensive stand of all time? My favorite Georgia Tech defensive stand was the goal line stand in the 1990 Clemson game that helped Georgia Tech beat Clemson in Bobby Dodd Stadium 21-19.:):cool::D:smuggrin:
Agree on this one. That stand proved critical to being in position to win the national championship. Tiggle absolutely stoned the Clemson back when he filled the hole. My friend at the game with me yelled so loud on this play that he lost his voice for days.

Also a key stand that year, holding #1 UVA to a field goal so they could only tie the score in the last minute. Of course, we take the ball downfield for the winning field goal on the last play of the game. Tiggle again made a key play on that stand, diving to deflect away a pass that appeared to be headed toward an open receiver for a touchdown.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Agree on this one. That stand proved critical to being in position to win the national championship. Tiggle absolutely stoned the Clemson back when he filled the hole. My friend at the game with me yelled so loud on this play that he lost his voice for days.

Also a key stand that year, holding #1 UVA to a field goal so they could only tie the score in the last minute. Of course, we take the ball downfield for the winning field goal on the last play of the game. Tiggle again made a key play on that stand, diving to deflect away a pass that appeared to be headed toward an open receiver for a touchdown.
Calvin Tiggle absolutely nailed Clemson running back Ronald Williams.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Here you go:

Ok, you have to watch the whole game, but this was probably the best defensive game by a Tech team in the last 30 years. We won 7 - 3 against the Fridge. I was there and loved every second. We got a lead and then sat on the ball like a slug for the rest of the game. It was wonderful to watch!

The only rival:

We sacked the Twerps 13 times in that game. It was a true pleasure to watch. Again, you have to watch the whole thing, but I guarantee you will enjoy that that. Goto 1:48:59 and you'll get an idea of what the whole film is like.

Here you go:

Ok, you have to watch the whole game, but this was probably the best defensive game by a Tech team in the last 30 years. We won 7 - 3 against the Fridge. I was there and loved every second. We got a lead and then sat on the ball like a slug for the rest of the game. It was wonderful to watch!

The only rival:

We sacked the Twerps 13 times in that game. It was a true pleasure to watch. Again, you have to watch the whole thing, but I guarantee you will enjoy that that. Goto 1:48:59 and you'll get an idea of what the whole film is like.

I still remember listening to that game, and Marco Coleman had one helluva afternoon.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There was a little guy who made a fourth down stop near the goal line against Alabama in that '62 game...literally knocked himself out doing it and had to be helped off the field. The guy he stopped outweighed him by probably 40 or 50 pounds. I know McNames was the hero of that game (interception and scored the TD), but it wasn't him, I don't believe. I read it somewhere but can't dig it up now. Does anybody know who I'm talking about? They ought to put up a plaque in the stadium commemorating that play.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Nov 15, 1952 vs. Alabama. I believe this may have been the first nationally televised college (regular season?) football game. Alabama was ahead 3-0 in the second half, first down on our 5 yard line and a opportunity to basically put the game away. Jackie Rudolph, all of 160 lbs, saved the game on fourth down:
The $125,000 Tackle (November 15, 1952)
Georgia Tech 7, No. 12 Alabama 3. In the most exciting game, at that time, in Tech annals, Jackie Rudolph’s “$125,000 tackle” of Bobby Marlow helped preserve the victory, earned Tech a Sugar Bowl bid (and the $125,000 payout) but also preserved the Jackets’ 12-0 season and the Institute’s third national title.
Dean Griffin (Dean of Students) had a blown up picture of Rudolph's tackle (turned Marlow upside down on about the 2 yard line) that spanned an entire wall of his office.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Nov 15, 1952 vs. Alabama. I believe this may have been the first nationally televised college (regular season?) football game. Alabama was ahead 3-0 in the second half, first down on our 5 yard line and a opportunity to basically put the game away. Jackie Rudolph, all of 160 lbs, saved the game:
The $125,000 Tackle (November 15, 1952)
Georgia Tech 7, No. 12 Alabama 3. In the most exciting game, at that time, in Tech annals, Jackie Rudolph’s “$125,000 tackle” of Bobby Marlow helped preserve the victory, earned Tech a Sugar Bowl bid (and the $125,000 payout) but also preserved the Jackets’ 12-0 season and the Institute’s third national title.
Dean Griffin (Dean of Students) had a blown up picture of Rudolph's tackle (turned Marlow upside down on about the 2 yard line) that spanned an entire wall of his office.

Jackie Rudolph!

That's why I couldn't find it. '52, not '62. Thanks!