Favorite COFH Game

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
He was one of the most overrated players coming out of high school ever in my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Quincy was a helluva athlete and football player in high school. He was the AJC state player of the year after SWD won the state championship in 1995. Several future NFL players and Olympic gold medalist played on that team. A former GT punter, Rodney Williams played with him in high school. Like too many talented people, he lacked self control when it came to drugs. How does the starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys get kicked off the team?

Every great high school player does not become a great college player. Every great college player does not become a great professional player. This should not diminish the accomplishments they made where they realized greatness.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
How does the starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys get kicked off the team?
Easy...he just has to not be that good. Believe it, if he was balling out at QB like early Mike Vick, ol Jerry would have let him get away with anything.
Also, didn't Quincy have a game against South Carolina (back when they were BAD) where the Cocks caught more of his passes than the Dwags?

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Easy...he just has to not be that good. Believe it, if he was balling out at QB like early Mike Vick, ol Jerry would have let him get away with anything.
Also, didn't Quincy have a game against South Carolina (back when they were BAD) where the Cocks caught more of his passes than the Dwags?
I think he threw 5 ints against South Carolina in 2000 and got benched.

northgajacket

Banned
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Quincy was a helluva athlete and football player in high school. He was the AJC state player of the year after SWD won the state championship in 1995. Several future NFL players and Olympic gold medalist played on that team. A former GT punter, Rodney Williams played with him in high school. Like too many talented people, he lacked self control when it came to drugs. How does the starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys get kicked off the team?

Every great high school player does not become a great college player. Every great college player does not become a great professional player. This should not diminish the accomplishments they made where they realized greatness.

Good athlete, but was a very poor cerebral quarterback.

northgajacket

Banned
We won the first COFH I attended - 1984... Grand memories of heckling blonde bimbo types in mirrored, aviator-style sunglasses with chants of "fashion merchandising, fashion merchandising"... Best halftime memory was the "Tarp Incident" of 1992... Precipitated more hostility than Serrano's "Piss Christ"...

I didn't think the tarp thing was that big of a deal, and I would say that if uga Band did the same to the Tech logo, just clean fun IMO.

Does anybody remember the bench clearing brawl? In '93 I believe.

northgajacket

Banned

True... I mean look at what Michael Irvin got away with at Dallas

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
1999- Joe Ham's last game, Jaspar Thanks run, Goose recovers Manget's kick on 3rd down & he re-kicks on 4th down for win.

So here you have a win against the Mutts, at home, with one of the greatest GT QBs ever playing his last regular season game. You have a mutt doing what mutts do. Instead of kicking a FG for a win, they hand off and fumble. One ref says mutt ball, another says GT ball. Decision is made in favor of the good guys- how often does that happen? GT gets a chance to win the game with a super reliable FG kicker. Very makable distance. Nearly in the bag, but it is against the mutts. Manget who never misses, misses. Mutt fans go wild. Goose grabs the balls and runs, but is tackled. I'm yelling it's only 3rd down, we get another try. Mutt fans around me have no idea. They think I'm crazy. My son looks at me like I'm an alien. Mutt fans are going wild as they're now sure it's a sign from God they are destined to win. My son looks like someone shot the dog, but sees me happy. He's confused. Seems like an eternity then everyone around me realizes we're lining up to kick again. Mutts fans think we cheated and start yelling to stop the game. They paid good money for the refs and they want the ball. Manget makes the re-kick. GT fans go nuts. Mutt fans stand stunned. They lost, they lost to GT, they think they were screwed, their normal luck was no where to be found. Name me a better game than this.

I will say that the kick and pick game was close but not quite up to the 1999 game.

You now have my vote for favorite description of a COFH game

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Gotta go with @Boomergump

1984 was a gift from God. Like a drink of water when dehydrated in the desert. I was born in 72 so had few and only vague memories of Tech wins vs the mutts till then. Had to listen to a lot of crap in school from the mass of mutts. Don't know if I could have survived that era without Cremins and bball. 1985 put a nice topper on it. Mutts I knew went crazy losing 2 in a row to us.

It's way past time we started a legit streak against the flea bags.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
1984. It came out of nowhere. Butt whooping. Then 2008. Then 2014. Then 2016. Then 1990.

I don't know, I don't think the '84 game came out of nowhere. I had the opportunity to work the scoreboard for the 1983 game and we came darn close to winning that game.

From the 1984 Blue Print:
... a Dewberry pass was picked off six yards from the endzone with a minute remaining. The "sugar free" Dawgs escaped with a 27-24 win.​

northgajacket

Banned
Gotta go with @Boomergump

1984 was a gift from God. Like a drink of water when dehydrated in the desert. I was born in 72 so had few and only vague memories of Tech wins vs the mutts till then. Had to listen to a lot of crap in school from the mass of mutts. Don't know if I could have survived that era without Cremins and bball. 1985 put a nice topper on it. Mutts I knew went crazy losing 2 in a row to us.

It's way past time we started a legit streak against the flea bags.

At least you were able to watch the Cremins era, I got stuck with Hewitt

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I don't know, I don't think the '84 game came out of nowhere. I had the opportunity to work the scoreboard for the 1983 game and we came darn close to winning that game.

... a Dewberry pass was picked off six yards from the endzone with a minute remaining. The "sugar free" Dawgs escaped with a 27-24 win.​
Yeah UGAG was 10-1-1 and ranked #5 I believe in the final 1983 rankings.

northgajacket

Banned

Even Dooley said that Tech could have easily won the '83 game.

northgajacket

Banned
I will always love Bobby Cremins for the job he did at Tech and the awesome memories he and his teams gave me. And I still say the 85 bball team was our best ever. Mighty Georgetown got lucky when Price had a very rare bad shooting day that game.

I agree completely. Salley, Price, Dalrymple, Joseph, great talent. I remember after the '04 NCG thinking "maybe next year", next year hasn't come yet.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In 86 We really missed Yvonne Joseph in the middle to eat space, D up, rebound, and give Salley some help inside. Also Duane Ferrell was very overlooked hella good player. Heck Scott Pettway gave us some great minutes off the bench. That thin gold line was amazing.

Maybe the best starting lineup I've ever seen. Including those cheating Rebs that nudged out lethal weapon 3.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
In 86 We really missed Yvonne Joseph in the middle to eat space, D up, rebound, and give Salley some help inside. Also Duane Ferrell was very overlooked hella good player. Heck Scott Pettway gave us some great minutes off the bench. That thin gold line was amazing.

Maybe the best starting lineup I've ever seen. Including those cheating Rebs that nudged out lethal weapon 3.
Brian Oliver was one of my all time favorite GT players. I saw him play HS basketball at Wills getting 60 points one night against Osborne in 1985.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My favorite was 1974. I have never seen Sanford Stadium so empty for the second half kickoff and the fans that were still there were wearing old gold. "Harry Dawgs Stink When Wet!"

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
My favorite was 1974. I have never seen Sanford Stadium so empty for the second half kickoff and the fans that were still there were wearing old gold. "Harry Dawgs Stink When Wet!"
The 1969 6-0 win by GT in BDS was great also. The UGAG players were excited about the possibility of going 6-3-1 and going to the Sun Bowl like Vince's 1964 team. The GT defense with Smiley Gebhardt,Rock Perdoni and Bubba Hoats shut down the Dwags all day and they had nothing left for the Sun Bowl. 8-2 Nebraska beat UGAG in that Sun Bowl 45-6.