Favorite COFH Game

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
We won the first COFH I attended - 1984... Grand memories of heckling blonde bimbo types in mirrored, aviator-style sunglasses with chants of "fashion merchandising, fashion merchandising"... Best halftime memory was the "Tarp Incident" of 1992... Precipitated more hostility than Serrano's "Piss Christ"...

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I was present for the 2014 win in Athens. That was insane. The emotional roller coaster of that game was more than I think any other game I've been to. The absolute BS call on the goalline that was a 14 point swing. The pooch kickoff. The huge play by Thomas to get us in range. The kick. The missed extra point. The pick.

Just amazing.

As incredible as that game was, I think 2013 was just as painful for me.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Here's another great GT-UGAG game. The 1962 37-6 win by GT in Athens

Like that offense...the belly series reminds me of CPJ's offense (or is it vice versa?) with the wingback motion and the options into the line and then outside. But, hey, then Billy Lothridge's line sup in the shotgun and that works too! C'mon CPJ!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'll admit feeling sad for Jasper Sanks (though not for any dwagnationalists) when I googled...
Jasper Sanks --> autocomplete results were:
Jasper Sanks fumble
Jasper Sanks inches away
Jasper sanks was down

Don't feel too bad for him, the refs tried to "fix" their error a couple years later when the D-wag pulled the ball out of the pile (while the refs were actively pulling players off the top) and ran it back for a TD. Then again in 2014 with the JT goal line play. They've gotten so many freaking ridiculous calls go in their favor over the last bunch of years I can't feel any sympathy for someone on their side getting jobbed for once. Honestly, I think that is why the 2014 game is so special for me...we dominated the play on the field while the refs were totally up to their old tricks, and yet we still beat them on their field and took the hedges home with us.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
I've never ben sure that Ga really got jobbed in 1999. There were many bad calls in that game and fluke plays that went Ga's way before Jasper Thanks play. I have watched replay after replay of that play too. I simply cannot tell.
One thing is true though, if you don't want a fumble call - don't drop the football ! Especially on the goal line! Don't leave it up to refs in such a close call.
Also, the dawns got greedy there - a FG would have won it. O'Leary would not have made that mistake!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I was present for the 2014 win in Athens. That was insane. The emotional roller coaster of that game was more than I think any other game I've been to. The absolute BS call on the goalline that was a 14 point swing. The pooch kickoff. The huge play by Thomas to get us in range. The kick. The missed extra point. The pick.

Just amazing.

As incredible as that game was, I think 2013 was just as painful for me.

2009 was worse because we were better than they were. in 2013, Richt really rolled the dice going for it on fourth and about 5 or 6 on his side of the 50 in the fourth, IIRC. But 14, as deeznutz just said, all that karma finally started coming back the right way.
In 08, we were sitting in high dollar Bulldog country but with a lot of Tech guys in the suite. I remember getting the tying TD and 2 point conversion and it might have been Joe Siffri about 10 feet from me and we just looked at each other and started shaking our fists because we knew we had them on the ropes at the point. All those Bulldogs fans around us had been smiling and laughing in the first half and at halftime. They didn't look so happy after Diesel busted through for his second TD in eight minutes.
At halftime, my buddy asked me what PJ was saying in the lockerroom. I said he's peeling some paint right about now because he knows we're better than what we've shown over the first 30 minutes.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
2009 was worse because we were better than they were. in 2013, Richt really rolled the dice going for it on fourth and about 5 or 6 on his side of the 50 in the fourth, IIRC. But 14, as deeznutz just said, all that karma finally started coming back the right way.
In 08, we were sitting in high dollar Bulldog country but with a lot of Tech guys in the suite. I remember getting the tying TD and 2 point conversion and it might have been Joe Siffri about 10 feet from me and we just looked at each other and started shaking our fists because we knew we had them on the ropes at the point. All those Bulldogs fans around us had been smiling and laughing in the first half and at halftime. They didn't look so happy after Diesel busted through for his second TD in eight minutes.
At halftime, my buddy asked me what PJ was saying in the lockerroom. I said he's peeling some paint right about now because he knows we're better than what we've shown over the first 30 minutes.
I remember Jerry Mays running all over the Dwags in the 1989 game. The 1989 GT-UGAG game was one of the strangest games in the rivalry, It was like it was a tale of two halves.

northgajacket

Banned
I've never ben sure that Ga really got jobbed in 1999. There were many bad calls in that game and fluke plays that went Ga's way before Jasper Thanks play. I have watched replay after replay of that play too. I simply cannot tell.
One thing is true though, if you don't want a fumble call - don't drop the football ! Especially on the goal line! Don't leave it up to refs in such a close call.
Also, the dawns got greedy there - a FG would have won it. O'Leary would not have made that mistake!

Totally agree, Donnan got greedy. The way I see it is that Tech got jobbed earlier with the ejection of Watkins but not Stroud, plus in 1997 uga was gifted a call that helped them win. Donnan truly was a crappy time management coach

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree, Donnan got greedy. The way I see it is that Tech got jobbed earlier with the ejection of Watkins but not Stroud, plus in 1997 uga was gifted a call that helped them win. Donnan truly was a crappy time management coach
I remember the Quitsey Carter for Heisman website that was left up until 2007. :vomit:I would take a look at it if I needed a laugh:LOL::ROFLMAO: With Quitsey's drug problems any head coach with any scruples at all would have thrown him out by 1999.

northgajacket

Banned
I remember the Quitsey Carter for Heisman website that was left up until 2007. :vomit:I would take a look at it if I needed a laugh:LOL::ROFLMAO: With Quitsey's drug problems any head coach with any scruples at all would have thrown him out by 1999.

Never understood the hype around Carter, and that's not a biased statement, always thought he was average.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Never understood the hype around Carter, and that's not a biased statement, always thought he was average.
He was one of the most overrated players coming out of high school ever in my opinion. Mike Bobo in 2007 was much better than Quitsey. He got a ton of hype because he threw for 350+ yards against a terrible LSU defense to in Baton Rouge to start Georgia's SEC schedule in 1998.

northgajacket

Banned
He was one of the most overrated players coming out of high school ever in my opinion. Mike Bobo in 2007 was much better than Quitsey.

I think the only reason he got hype was because he had a similar trajectory to Chris Weinke ( both playing minor league ball before playing college fb), At the time it seemed like there were more than a few qb's who went that route. ( Texas A&m had one and of course Weinke who was in his mid twenties as a frosh.)

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I think the only reason he got hype was because he had a similar trajectory to Chris Weinke ( both playing minor league ball before playing college fb), At the time it seemed like there were more than a few qb's who went that route. ( Texas A&m had one and of course Weinke who was in his mid twenties as a frosh.)
A lot of people complained about Weinke winning the Heisman because of his age. It's amazing how quickly the FSU program crashed and burned. it was strong until 2000 and then collapsed not to become relevant again until 2012.

northgajacket

Banned
A lot of people complained about Weinke winning the Heisman because of his age. It's amazing how quickly the FSU program crashed and burned. it was strong until 2000 and then collapsed not to become relevant again until 2012.

Yeah they did. Yeah Rix didn't exactly pick it up where Weinke left off.

northgajacket

Banned
He was one of the most overrated players coming out of high school ever in my opinion. Mike Bobo in 2007 was much better than Quitsey. He got a ton of hype because he threw for 350+ yards against a terrible LSU defense to in Baton Rouge to start Georgia's SEC schedule in 1998.

Yeah and LSU was garbage that year.