Fan Day

Georgia Tech was called the Blacksmiths before they were called the Yellow Jackets;)
Never heard that before, although it's reasonable, I guess. I did a quick scan of the early chapters of "Dress Her in White and Gold" and didn't see any mention of that. I did find though that the first association with white and gold came from dresses worn by girls from the Lucy Cobb Institute, in Athens of all places, who came to support the Tech team in their first game against the mutts.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Never heard that before, although it's reasonable, I guess. I did a quick scan of the early chapters of "Dress Her in White and Gold" and didn't see any mention of that. I did find though that the first association with white and gold came from dresses worn by girls from the Lucy Cobb Institute, in Athens of all places, who came to support the Tech team in their first game against the mutts.
One of the early AJC articles about a GT-UGAG game mentioned in Good Old Fashioned Hate mentioned GT being called the Blacksmiths(Before John Heisman became head football coach)and it also mentioned UGAG had a goat mascot on the sidelines. GT was involved in a train wreck leaving the first GT-UGAG game in Athens and it was lucky nobody was hurt.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
One of the early AJC articles about a GT-UGAG game mentioned in Good Old Fashioned Hate mentioned GT being called the Blacksmiths(Before John Heisman became head football coach)and it also mentioned UGAG had a goat mascot on the sidelines. GT was involved in a train wreck leaving the first GT-UGAG game in Athens and it was lucky nobody was hurt.

I'm pretty sure that was a typo.

They were called the NavyBluesmiths.

... Eeeeeeyyyyyoooo!!!!!!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Not quite on point but in a way it really is! Monday July 2nd I finally start physical therapy on my right arm after 3 surgeries dating back to December 20, 2017. Fan day being 8/4 and the season starting 9/1 was a goal for me to be back healthy for the last few months! Last but not least if things go right I will be allowed to start swinging a golf club just about the time the season starts! :D:D:D:D

Not quite on point but in a way it really is! Monday July 2nd I finally start physical therapy on my right arm after 3 surgeries dating back to December 20, 2017. Fan day being 8/4 and the season starting 9/1 was a goal for me to be back healthy for the last few months! Last but not least if things go right I will be allowed to start swinging a golf club just about the time the season starts! :D:D:D:D
upload_2018-6-29_22-3-9.png

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Funny fact about ugag having a goat mascot is around that same time our mascot was...wait for it...a freaking bulldog! Sad but true.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Heel well and go enjoy some retirement time!

By the way don't show up on 8/4 for Fan Day... GEORGIA TECH FOOTBALL FAN DAY SET FOR AUGUST 11.
Additionally, season-ticket holders will have exclusive access to the first 30 minutes of Fan Day, beginning at 4 p.m. Gates will open to the general public at 4:30 p.m.

By the way don't show up on 8/4 for Fan Day... GEORGIA TECH FOOTBALL FAN DAY SET FOR AUGUST 11.
Additionally, season-ticket holders will have exclusive access to the first 30 minutes of Fan Day, beginning at 4 p.m. Gates will open to the general public at 4:30 p.m.
"heel well"??? OJF ain't no dawg. LOL

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Heal well and go enjoy some retirement time!

Additionally, season-ticket holders will have exclusive access to the first 30 minutes of Fan Day, beginning at 4 p.m.

Damn voice to text... Did copy and paste the rest... Proof why I should proof my posts, but still don't. [emoji58]

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

I knew that it was the 11th after I posted ad it was too late to change it LOL!!!!! :D And I am healing well, finally!!!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yeah it was Live Atlanta Wrestling until 1972 when Ann Gunkel broke away and started All South Championship Wrestling and took all the wrestlers with her besides Bob Armstrong and Big Bill Dromo. All South Wrestling was around until 1974 and it was on WTCG. The wrestling program started being called Georgia Championship Wrestling in 1973. Ann Gunkel tried to take over the part of the Live Atlanta Wrestling Promotion that her late husband Ray Gunkel had control of and the other people in the promotion wouldn't let Ann Gunkle have Ray Gunkle's part of the promotion. Live Atlanta Wrestling was on WXIA from the late 1950s until 1970 when it switched over to WTCG. The announcer for Live Atlanta Wrestling was Ed Capral. I remember watching Live Atlanta Wrestling with my dad and seeing Paul DeMarco,El Mongol,Buddy Colt,Bobby Shane,Nick Bockwinkle and Joe Scarpa(Chief Jay Strongbow) wrestle.
Wasn't there a wrestling venue way out Memorial Drive in East Atlanta?