Fan Day

mistaben

Georgia Tech Fan
Atlanta Municipal Auditorium;):cool: I went and watched wrestling with my dad and uncle quite a few times there in the 1970s:cool: I remember seeing Jack Brisco defend the NWA Title there against Mr Wrestling ll in 1974:cool:

In the mid 1970's, working for one of the downtown banks. I was approached by a large fellow who wanted to cash a $250,000 check made out to a "Thunderbolt Patterson". The check was drawn on our bank and the balance was good, but the man had no account. To cash the item, I'd have to verify his ID. How does one identify a man named "Thuderbolt"? I called the customer (the "wrastlin" promoter) for assistance. He asked how big the guy was. I told him "very" and added that there was a lot of jewelry involved (think multiple rings plus the UM "Turnover Chain"). The customer said "that's him". So I was able to ID him without even having to ask for a Grady card. Rather than cash the item, I did persuade him to deposit the item into a new account. And got a "that-a-boy".

mistaben

Georgia Tech Fan
That is one of the legend as to how we became the Yellow Jackets, it's not absolute fact. The term "yellowjacket" didn't come into vogue with Tech until the early 20th century, almost 15 years after our first football game.

The story goes that prior to GT having a football team, Auburn and uga played on what is now HGF@BDS. The Tech men supposedly wore their "yellow jackets" to the game supporting of Auburn. This is why Auburn became known as a sister-school and the rivalry has always been congenial rather than contentious.

1917 Georgia Tech Golden Tornado football team
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/1917-Georgia-Tech-Golden-Tornado-football-team
Footnote 1: Although Georgia Tech's teams are officially known as the "Yellow Jackets", northern writers called the team the "Golden Tornado" in 1917; the name was commonly used until 1928 and for many years afterwards as an alternate nickname.[1] It may have been coined by Morgan Blake.[2]

William Morgan Blake (February, 1889 – July 26, 1953) was an early 20th-century American sportswriter in the South who in his 24 years on the job covered seven Rose Bowl games.
He also taught the south's largest Sunday School class.[1][2]
https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Morgan+Blake

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

1917 Georgia Tech Golden Tornado football team
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/1917-Georgia-Tech-Golden-Tornado-football-team
Footnote 1: Although Georgia Tech's teams are officially known as the "Yellow Jackets", northern writers called the team the "Golden Tornado" in 1917; the name was commonly used until 1928 and for many years afterwards as an alternate nickname.[1] It may have been coined by Morgan Blake.[2]

William Morgan Blake (February, 1889 – July 26, 1953) was an early 20th-century American sportswriter in the South who in his 24 years on the job covered seven Rose Bowl games.
He also taught the south's largest Sunday School class.[1][2]
https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Morgan+Blake
That's great thanks for the info(y) Morgan Blake was an awesome sportswriter you don't see people like him anymore.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So if I understand this thread correctly there's going to be a cage match at fan day?

A true Hall of Fame post. Thank you.

As regards wrestling at the “Beautiful” Atlanta City Auditorium, I am old enough to remember going there with my Grandmother & Grandfather watching Eddie Graham & Dickie Steinborn vs (no kidding) The Japs. Not to mention “classy Freddie Blassie.

Football please get here.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
A true Hall of Fame post. Thank you.

As regards wrestling at the “Beautiful” Atlanta City Auditorium, I am old enough to remember going there with my Grandmother & Grandfather watching Eddie Graham & Dickie Steinborn vs (no kidding) The Japs. Not to mention “classy Freddie Blassie.

Football please get here.

Corsica Joe and Corsica Jean,the Medics and the Mighty Yankees were really good also;)