Fan Day

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
Speaking of questionable blast from the past wardrobe choices, who remembers this guy rasslin' in his tighty whiteys?

Mr+Wrestling.jpg

No wonder he wore a mask. :confused:
Looks like Mr. Wrestling from the 1960's.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It was called "Live Atlanta Wrestling" when my brother and I tried to do flying drop-kicks on each other!
Yeah it was Live Atlanta Wrestling until 1972 when Ann Gunkel broke away and started All South Championship Wrestling and took all the wrestlers with her besides Bob Armstrong and Big Bill Dromo. All South Wrestling was around until 1974 and it was on WTCG. The wrestling program started being called Georgia Championship Wrestling in 1973. Ann Gunkel tried to take over the part of the Live Atlanta Wrestling Promotion that her late husband Ray Gunkel had control of and the other people in the promotion wouldn't let Ann Gunkle have Ray Gunkle's part of the promotion. Live Atlanta Wrestling was on WXIA from the late 1950s until 1970 when it switched over to WTCG. The announcer for Live Atlanta Wrestling was Ed Capral. I remember watching Live Atlanta Wrestling with my dad and seeing Paul DeMarco,El Mongol,Buddy Colt,Bobby Shane,Nick Bockwinkle and Joe Scarpa(Chief Jay Strongbow) wrestle.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it was Live Atlanta Wrestling until 1972 when Ann Gunkel broke away and started All South Championship Wrestling and took all the wrestlers with her besides Bob Armstrong and Big Bill Dromo. All South Wrestling was around until 1974 and it was on WTCG. The wrestling program started being called Georgia Championship Wrestling in 1973. Ann Gunkel tried to take over the part of the Live Atlanta Wrestling Promotion that her late husband Ray Gunkel had control of and the other people in the promotion wouldn't let Ann Gunkle have Ray Gunkle's part of the promotion. Live Atlanta Wrestling was on WXIA from the late 1950s until 1970 when it switched over to WTCG. The announcer for Live Atlanta Wrestling was Ed Capral. I remember watching Live Atlanta Wrestling with my dad and seeing Paul DeMarco,El Mongol,Buddy Colt,Bobby Shane,Nick Bockwinkle and Joe Scarpa(Chief Jay Strongbow) wrestle.

Wasn't Bob Armstrong also a Cobb County fireman?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Nothing like flashing back 45 years!

Mr Wrestling II had the Black #1 had the White.

Haystack Calhoun
Chief Wahoo McDaniel
The Assassins

Herw's the earliest Georgia Championship Wrestling match i've been able to find after they went from Live Atlanta Wrestling to Georgia Championship Wrestling. This match between Mr Wrestling 1 and Cowboy Bill Watts was from 1973. Other Live Atlanta Wrestling wrestlers i remember were Johnny Valentine, Ramon & Alberto Perez,Butcher & Stan Vachon and Doug Gilbert.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nothing like flashing back 45 years!

Mr Wrestling II had the Black #1 had the White.

Haystack Calhoun
Chief Wahoo McDaniel
The Assassins

Every single one of those podium face off interviews always turned into an "impromptu" rasslin' match. Never failed!

Another funny thing that also happened, whenever a masked wrestler wrestled, at some point in the match he was losing and the opponent was desperately attempting to pull off the mask without being able to like it was glued on or something. In reality, those masks just pulled off with ease. LOL.

Iirc, GT's Joe Anoai's (Roman Reigns) father and uncles used to wrestle in that league in those days.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Every single one of those podium face off interviews always turned into an "impromptu" rasslin' match. Never failed!

Another funny thing that also happened, whenever a masked wrestler wrestled, at some point in the match he was losing and the opponent was desperately attempting to pull off the mask without being able to like it was glued on or something. In reality, those masks just pulled off with ease. LOL.

Iirc, GT's Joe Anoai's (Roman Reigns) father and uncles used to wrestle in that league in those days.
I think his uncles were Afa and Sika the Wild Samoans:D

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

The Wild Samoans. He's also related to The Rock.