Fan Day

I get that but can anyone find the article I’m talking about? Maybe something released by Georgia tech? I think it came out when the whole facelift with the gold cane out.
There was some kind of article which someone posted stating that the CLASS COLORS during the early days at Tech included blue. What most people apparently ignored was that that was a CLASS COLOR. Since every class at most universities world-wide had CLASS COLORS in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, that in no way means that blue was a SCHOOL COLOR. The name "yellow jackets" actually came from the color of the jackets that the men wore to the games in that era, and that is stated in books such as "Dress Her in White and Gold", in which IIRC not one single mention is made of the color blue.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There was some kind of article which someone posted stating that the CLASS COLORS during the early days at Tech included blue. What most people apparently ignored was that that was a CLASS COLOR. Since every class at most universities world-wide had CLASS COLORS in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, that in no way means that blue was a SCHOOL COLOR. The name "yellow jackets" actually came from the color of the jackets that the men wore to the games in that era, and that is stated in books such as "Dress Her in White and Gold", in which IIRC not one single mention is made of the color blue.
So what you’re saying is our actual colors are yellow and white? Not gold since they wore yellow jackets? :p

So what you’re saying is our actual colors are yellow and white? Not gold since they wore yellow jackets? :p
That is probably true. I'm not sure why "yellow" was replaced with "gold" in the fight songs, unless it's because a one-syllable word is easier to use in a rhyme than a two-syllable word like yellow. The only word I can think of off hand that rhymes with yellow is mellow, and I think we both know how that would have been used against us....LOL Whereas bold rhymes with gold. and I would much rather be thought of as gold and bold than yellow and mellow...LOL

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That is probably true. I'm not sure why "yellow" was replaced with "gold" in the fight songs, unless it's because a one-syllable word is easier to use in a rhyme than a two-syllable word like yellow. The only word I can think of off hand that rhymes with yellow is mellow, and I think we both know how that would have been used against us....LOL Whereas bold rhymes with gold. and I would much rather be thought of as gold and bold than yellow and mellow...LOL
fellow? nah, not worth putting in a fight song.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Lol I will agree 100 percent with you on this.

One thing I have never understood is how and why blue ever became even a tertiary or (as of now) secondary color, since the yellow jacket insect (and Buzz, as well) is yellow and black. I know some fans have expressed an objection to black because black is one of the mutts' primary colors. But the mutts use white, even though white is one of our primary colors, and that doesn't seem to bother them.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
One thing I have never understood is how and why blue ever became even a tertiary or (as of now) secondary color, since the yellow jacket insect (and Buzz, as well) is yellow and black. I know some fans have expressed an objection to black because black is one of the mutts' primary colors. But the mutts use white, even though white is one of our primary colors, and that doesn't seem to bother them.
GT can have a Blue Out game against Clemson;):D:eek::wideyed::LOL:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
They wore the yellow jackets before the name "Golden Tornado" was used, and it's one tornado, not multiple tornadoes.
That is one of the legend as to how we became the Yellow Jackets, it's not absolute fact. The term "yellowjacket" didn't come into vogue with Tech until the early 20th century, almost 15 years after our first football game.

The story goes that prior to GT having a football team, Auburn and uga played on what is now HGF@BDS. The Tech men supposedly wore their "yellow jackets" to the game supporting of Auburn. This is why Auburn became known as a sister-school and the rivalry has always been congenial rather than contentious.