False Hope

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's too costly to do that. Already paying 3 coaches. Partner is making a lot of money and he's guaranteed to be paid for the next 5 years

Doesn't change the main point that we aren't firing CJP any time soon but Gregory is off the books and Hewitt is off I think next month. I thought CJP was only guaranteed for the next 2 years not 5. I know it isn't 5.

Our issue is we just (appropriately) went all in on the new football staff. CJP without a doubt gets next year and most likely year after. After that our books are clear.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Doesn't change the main point that we aren't firing CJP any time soon but Gregory is off the books and Hewitt is off I think next month. I thought CJP was only guaranteed for the next 2 years not 5. I know it isn't 5.

Our issue is we just (appropriately) went all in on the new football staff. CJP without a doubt gets next year and most likely year after. After that our books are clear.

Yeah. It (replacing the coach) isn't even worth talking about at this point. Just hope for the best.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wish this topic was in another thread, but I am puzzled as to why the results we all expected are disappointing to so many. To start the season I, and several others, warned that 5-6 ACC wins would be about right for this team. We are in decent position to make that prediction a reality. But, even if we don't win another game, the team is right where I thought they would be when the season began. There were moments of optimism when shots were falling for us. Now that there seems to be a lid on the basket the offense is "suddenly" awful and CJP is considered a failure.

Guys, he ACC is tough this year and we simply do not have the talent or numbers to be in the mix. That was obvious in November and nothing has changed to make the case that we should be better.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wish this topic was in another thread, but I am puzzled as to why the results we all expected are disappointing to so many. To start the season I, and several others, warned that 5-6 ACC wins would be about right for this team. We are in decent position to make that prediction a reality. But, even if we don't win another game, the team is right where I thought they would be when the season began. There were moments of optimism when shots were falling for us. Now that there seems to be a lid on the basket the offense is "suddenly" awful and CJP is considered a failure.

Guys, he ACC is tough this year and we simply do not have the talent or numbers to be in the mix. That was obvious in November and nothing has changed to make the case that we should be better.

It's frustrating because it could be argued that we shouldn't be at this point.

It's in this thread because it could be argued that recruits like this are why we are at this point.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Frustrating? Yes, it is. But we began the season knowing this would be a tough year. There were some unexpected positives and very disappointing shooting ability. Our guys are not good shooters but they play hard, tough defense. I don't have a count, but 3-4 made baskets in several games would have us thinking about the NIT. The record is not good and we all wish it were better. That said, this team is not a disaster.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Frustrating? Yes, it is. But we began the season knowing this would be a tough year. There were some unexpected positives and very disappointing shooting ability. Our guys are not good shooters but they play hard, tough defense. I don't have a count, but 3-4 made baskets in several games would have us thinking about the NIT. The record is not good and we all wish it were better. That said, this team is not a disaster.

Not everyone pays attention to the level that you and I do so it's probably jarring to see, at this point in his tenure, we're still an expansion team basically.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Anything can be argued but if you looked at the make up of the team from two years ago there really isn't a good argument for being more than a 6 win ACC team this year.

A huge reason that gregory was fired was because there was very poor back filling of recruits. 2015 was just Ogbonda and Gueye with the redshirt. His 2016 class was going to only be two recruits as well (White was known even then to be unlikely). When he was fired this turned into a transition class following a small class despite high attrition. Pastner and co made people somewhat forget the roster limitations by getting more out of the upperclassmen we had coming back than gregory did, or probably would have, but even then there was always going to be a time where that 1 man class followed by a transition class was going to make up the upperclassmen of the team. That is this year, where that one man class of Ogbonda is our current senior class, and the transition class, of which all have transferred or gone pro, is our junior class. That is a huge issue. It's pretty much forcing us to play guys 30 minutes who should be getting 15-20. It's forcing us to play guys who should be getting 5-7 minutes 15-20. It's forcing us to look to guys who should be role players, as the core pieces of our offense, and predictably some young guys haven't handled it as well as we would hope.

There wasn't much reason to expect to be better than 5-6 ACC wins before the new coach, whoever it was going to be, had a chance to get his first real class to be upperclassmen unless he was able to lure away the types of transfers that can carry a program, and they aren't coming to a place that hasn't made the NCAAT in a decade.

Anyways with regards to Didenko, I don't see much point in speculating until he gets here and we see what he brings. There was obviously something about him that intrigued Reveno. Not the same situation, but nothing about how Banks played at Texas would hint he would be as productive right away for us. Otherwise Usher is a good land that compliments our timeline for year 4 and 5 to be the target years, and every year there are late opportunities for quality recruits due to coaching situations and the like. IF we can take advantage of that and land a solid high 3/4 star player then it's a solid class. There might be some concern that if we don't add another recruit that it would lead to the same situation we are in now, but one class can be handled. Two straight classes with minimal contribution is really hard to deal with.

bos

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the record this season is all that surprising. First year set the expectations a little high, so it's tough to see the team fall back. However, when you miss on all your recruiting targets and only land a back up on a JUCO team, there is reason for concern.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

I don't necessarily mind the whole 5 or 6 wins in year 3 thing, especially given the Okogie situation. I was hoping we would be further 3 years ago at this point but I can accept that.

What I do mind is that there are no incoming recruits and we're looking at 5 or 6 wins again next year unless multiple of our underclassmen make major strides. Most of our players aren't ACC rotational caliber players so multiple are going to have to make that leap this offseason.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Not everyone pays attention to the level that you and I do so it's probably jarring to see, at this point in his tenure, we're still an expansion team basically.

Yes, and I think many of us are just so disappointed in the recruiting results to date. It's been less than 3 years, but I have almost forgotten that CJP came in here with much of the same "relentless recruiting" fanfare that accompanied CGC on the football side. And while it's still too early to say whether Collins will get the kind of recruits we need, I'm beginning to doubt that Pastner will. I really, really, really hope I'm wrong.

slugboy

Staff member
(If you're confused reading this thread and seeing it bumped, some of the posts from a recruits thread belonged here a little more, so they were moved).

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm not as concerned about the overall record because as you said the ACC is really good this year. We lost Okogie. Everyone knew it would be tough. What has me and many others upset is on top of the mounting losses the team shows no improvement. The talent level is not good. We can "get old" all we want but nobody in their right mind who is watching this team game after game can truly believe these guys will be much different when they are upperclassmen. Either you have talent or you don't. Pastner recruited these guys and worse he struck out on every worthwhile talented kid in this years class. Signing a backup JUCO player that can't score gives nobody hope that help is on the horizon. This state is loaded with high 4 star and 5 star basketball talent. We've signed none of them! Tom Crean has been in Athens for less than a year and just got Edwards. Pastner is 0-3 vs some horrible ugag teams and now he's getting his *** kicked in recruiting by Crean! Never thought I would see the day where ugag was kicking our asses in basketball both on the court and in recruiting.

Bottom line when you're saying you want to rebuild a program you have to give fans a reason to have hope that better days are ahead. Having good young talent and winning on the recruiting trail would make everyone feel better about the future and help fans tolerate the losses. We have neither and we're getting hammered on the court. There is nothing about this basketball program or this coach to make me think GA Tech's glory days in hoops will return anytime soon. The whole damn situation really just sucks.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, and I think many of us are just so disappointed in the recruiting results to date. It's been less than 3 years, but I have almost forgotten that CJP came in here with much of the same "relentless recruiting" fanfare that accompanied CGC on the football side. And while it's still too early to say whether Collins will get the kind of recruits we need, I'm beginning to doubt that Pastner will. I really, really, really hope I'm wrong.

Correct. Recruiters should be able to reel in top targets that play significant minutes at their respective schools during their second full recruiting cycle. It's not a facilities problem with us, but it very well could be a people problem. We'll just have to wait and see.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The talent level is not good. We can "get old" all we want but nobody in their right mind who is watching this team game after game can truly believe these guys will be much different when they are upperclassmen

Anyone who views it this way hasn't watched college basketball for more than a year or so because there are countless examples of guys who struggled as underclassmen making drastic improvements as juniors and seniors.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone who views it this way hasn't watched college basketball for more than a year or so because there are countless examples of guys who struggled as underclassmen making drastic improvements as juniors and seniors.
I've watched college basketball for over 40 years. I would hope we would see some level of improvement but if you think any of these guys are going to turn into the next Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, either Barry brother, Anthony Morrow or name any other great player/shooter from past Tech teams you're crazy. We don't have that level of talent on this team and nothing close to it coming in as of today. What we do have are some nice complementary pieces that would probably have some higher level off success if we had at least a couple of players on the team that had high level talent. We don't have that and Pastner has shown no ability to close on that kind of talent on the recruiting trail. It is what it is.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Cremins built the basketball program during the darkest days of football. I don't think that is true.
I base my opinion on the fact that our current AD played football and between Alexander, Heisman, Dodd, Rice, Radakovich all played and/or coached football and they ADed at Tech for over 100 years combined, and that we have 4 NC's.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk