False Hope

slugboy

Staff member
Football has been and always will be Tech's base program. A strong, profitable FB program will benefit basketball in the future.
Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand this, and I've always been more of a football person myself. There have been long stretches where Basketball was the shining star of our athletic program--through the 80's and the first part of the 2000's definitely. A strong tentpole program will benefit the other programs either way--if it's football or basketball. And between the two programs, it's a lot easier to get competitive in basketball.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Football has been and always will be Tech's base program. A strong, profitable FB program will benefit basketball in the future.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Cremins built the basketball program during the darkest days of football. I don't think that is true.

GT_EE78

Banned
FWIW, if you think Pastner is being replaced anytime soon you need to read this article.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-tech-transition-was-not-cheap/7cRAUbhoJpXuhVKODr8ZjI/

If you didn't already understand, there is 0% chance that GT would get rid of Pastner until after year 5 at the earliest.
You're right, our AA has a history of wildly swinging from extremely budget concious to budget oblivious as we all know from the gaily,hewitt,gregory years.

GT_EE78

Banned
You're right, our AA has a history of wildly swinging from extremely budget concious to budget oblivious as we all know from the gaily,hewitt,gregory years.
oops, didnt finish prior post before sneezing .... it looks like the FB team is doing money well spent but with fb/bb, it will still take a few years to verify.Don't we have an AD to do the needed fundraising in the event of emergency? (7 yr contracts do make me nervous)Hopefully the situation doesn't arise, but if the fans,alumni,donors,social media , et al become convinced that we're between "Gregory year 4" and Gregory year 5" again that "0% chance" will begin to rise.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We've never been budget oblivious, we always met cashflows. Our issues have been bad choices (Hewitt primarily) that left us with hugely restrictive residual contracts.

It isn't surprising TS made the choice to invest any free cash flow into football. It is the cashflow sport right now with the TV agreements. He also had his hand "forced" by the need to hire a new FB coach with their demands of what it would take to be competitive. GT does not have the resources to replace both major coaches in a short period of time. Soon as CPJ announced his retirement it was a get out of jail free card for Pastner to finish his contract pretty much regardless of results.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I suspect our assistant coach hires in Basketball during the offseason signaled what was coming.

CPJ wasn't fired or asked to leave, but he was also likely not getting an extension. The new football coach also has a much bigger budget than CPJ was ever given.

While MBob pushed in for bball, putting CPJ on the hot seat, TStan is doing the opposite. CJP is probably doing as well as can be expected, considering.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Let's not forget who is mostly responsible for "at least" the beginning of the BB downfall, AD Dave Braine and his rollover contract for Hewitt ... if not for that we wouldn't be here now.
I think the Gregory hire was a miss and maybe somebody pushed the panic button because of the huge Hewitt buy-out ... IMO, now as has been said, we need to give CJP at least a 5-year window.
My biggest disappointment has been the recruiting so far ... I thought based on what I read about Pastner, he would have had an immediate impact ...

GT_EE78

Banned
. IMO, now as has been said, we need to give CJP at least a 5-year window.

If my math is good then each time we do that twice means another lost decade of GT basketball. Keats is well on his way to making NCAAT in his first two years,Mack will get in in his first, Larranaga made it in 2 of his first 3, Brey made in his first three years, Bennett in his 3rd and Williams in his 3rd and 4th plus his first 5 at marquette! I think we'll know before that fifth year if we have a keeper.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I really like how we play D. I really like how CJP has adjusted our O to our personnel.

I really wonder if there is any database on missed layups, because it seems like our guys have missed a lot of layups over the last few years.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I really like how we play D. I really like how CJP has adjusted our O to our personnel.

I really wonder if there is any database on missed layups, because it seems like our guys have missed a lot of layups over the last few years.

Yes, I'd really like to see him running drills on teaching our big guys to try and use the backboard more often when taking shots around the basket ...

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

i like cpj. i think many under estimate him.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I'd really like to see him running drills on teaching our big guys to try and use the backboard more often when taking shots around the basket ...

It's everybody. Even JoshO seemed to miss too many layups.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

Since Gregory. Honestly can't remember if that was a problem in Hewitt's last years.