Fall Camp Thread

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah because one of our most explosive running backs did so well last year? Brad is explosive and has wheels, trust me.
triggered.gif

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of who returns KOs, why the hell do they always run straight into the wall of oncoming defenders, instead of heading towards the sideline like most KO returners do at other schools. It's not like he ever has any blockers in front of him at Tech to make a straight up the field return productive.
When you don’t have blockers, you turn upfield to get what you can. Now, if we set up a good wall he can bounce it outside, i don’t think we had much of that last year though.

When you don’t have blockers, you turn upfield to get what you can. Now, if we set up a good wall he can bounce it outside, i don’t think we had much of that last year though.
I totally understand that, which brings up the question as to why we never have blockers? What's the point of always leaving them up at the line, when they (nor few other teams) can ever prevent the other team's coverage personnel from getting down field? Or are our blockers so bad that the other team can keep them from getting back to block for the returner?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I totally understand that, which brings up the question as to why we never have blockers? What's the point of always leaving them up at the line, when they (nor few other teams) can ever prevent the other team's coverage personnel from getting down field? Or are our blockers so bad that the other team can keep them from getting back to block for the returner?
That is a question I have no answer to. I need to go watch and see what was going on.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Coaches typically teach straight up the field first. Running sideways first just gives up ground before the coverage wave gets there.

Danny has it right....look at the Rhinos if you want to know how to return punts. 1) Catch everything....don't let it roll. 2) Catch it on the run....get your momentum going forward. 3) Get what you can and look for daylight/make a cut to set up blocks.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

As regards kickoffs, the smart play will be to take it at the 25. Of the kicks that do get returned, few of them will make it beyond the 25, maybe 20% of them at best. Most will be tackled around the 15 or 20. The rule change helps us a lot, because it will for the most part take kickoff runbacks off the table. It's boring, but it's reality. The great majority of kickoffs will result in a fair catch.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Danny has it right....look at the Rhinos if you want to know how to return punts. 1) Catch everything....don't let it roll. 2) Catch it on the run....get your momentum going forward. 3) Get what you can and look for daylight/make a cut to set up blocks.

Yeah, running sideways is a losing tactic on punt returns about 85% of the time.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yeah because one of our most explosive running backs did so well last year? Brad is explosive and has wheels, trust me.

I have yet to see him explode explosively on the field in any way, i do very much appreciate his reliability catching the ball

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I just remembered the "get up field" coach speak. It makes more sense to teach that instinct for PR, and it's probably a good default for KOR.

But a good KOR can set up a return. E.g. Jamal Golden against UNC in 2012. 1:21:40 if it doesn't snap to the play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Amazing what one hit can do to/for a program

I use to think Vad never saw him coming, but upon replay, it looks like a defender got his legs from behind and stood him up a bit, then the corner put him on blast (literally).

Makes you appreciate the guys who sign up to play under center for this offense. You better be a grown azz man with balls of steel before walking into that QB room.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I use to think Vad never saw him coming, but upon replay, it looks like a defender got his legs from behind and stood him up a bit, then the corner put him on blast (literally).

Makes you appreciate the guys who sign up to play under center for this offense. You better be a grown azz man with balls of steel before walking into that QB room.

I can’t remember any other QB getting hit like this on a option play. Only other big hit come to mind is JT getting rocked on a PA pass vs Miami

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I just remembered the "get up field" coach speak. It makes more sense to teach that instinct for PR, and it's probably a good default for KOR.

But a good KOR can set up a return. E.g. Jamal Golden against UNC in 2012. 1:21:40 if it doesn't snap to the play.

A little nitpicky, but in the play you reference JG is not so much setting up the return as trying to get to where they had the wall/wedge called to be set up. Once he got there, he found a crease and the rest is just good running (and blocking).

Golden was, as you state, great at setting up blocks on his returns.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I can’t remember any other QB getting hit like this on a option play. Only other big hit come to mind is JT getting rocked on a PA pass vs Miami

The thing is that it wasn't that big a hit. The defender put his shoulder in Vad's chest but sure didn't wrap up and drive through him. If you're an option QB this is a dime a dozen hit, even for a pocket QB. JT's blindside hit against duh U was a helluva lot worse.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The thing is that it wasn't that big a hit. The defender put his shoulder in Vad's chest but sure didn't wrap up and drive through him. If you're an option QB this is a dime a dozen hit, even for a pocket QB. JT's blindside hit against duh U was a helluva lot worse.

Whatever it was, I wouldn't want any part of it. I'm going out on a limb here but the recipient here (Mr.Lee) probably was unaware or unconcerned during the moment of collision or the following two or three minutes that the person with which he collided with failed to wrap up and drive through. Nor do I think he either noticed or felt remarkably better about things even IF he noticed during film review.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Whatever it was, I wouldn't want any part of it. I'm going out on a limb here but the recipient here (Mr.Lee) probably was unaware or unconcerned during the moment of collision or the following two or three minutes that the person with which he collided with failed to wrap up and drive through. Nor do I think he either noticed or felt remarkably better about things even IF he noticed during film review.

I get your point but that's what he signed up for, football is a collision sport and this happens in football. You picked yourself up, clear up head and go on. Sorry I don't feel for Mr Lee running off to Div 1AA James Madison because he took a hit.