Fall Camp Thread

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wouldn't call skeletons a joke, as the defense knows its a passing play and the QB needs to get it out within a certain time or the defense "wins". It's a good drill for QBs to practice accuracy, anticipation, and manipulating the defense. There's value in that. If QBs have a hard time completing passes in those drills, it's going to hard for them to complete passes when DLs and LBs are breathing down their necks, and they have to keep their eyes down the field.

Are 7 on 7's much good for the DBs and other D backfield? Out D is what needs to improve.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Are 7 on 7's much good for the DBs and other D backfield? Out D is what needs to improve.

sure it is. I personally think its more beneficial for the S and CB than the QB and WR. But thats just me. The QB and WR stuff is a bit silly since there is no pass rush; and it forces the DB And S to hold coverage before the coach blows the whistle. IMO even though its viewed as an offensive drill (and rightfully so, it also helps timing, routes, route tree, reads etc) its equally as beneficial to the D. For me sometimes I think more so because of no pash rush the D is forced to hold their man just like in real football; and in our case just like in the Ted Roof scheme LOL

but seriously, some say the D has the advantage too....since they know its a pass...so thats the weakness on the D drill side. Its beneficial for both really. Both with strengths and weaknesses of what the drill helps.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think all 4 QBs are capable of running inside. I think someone like MJ and LJ would be able take more inside runs due to their size, but I think JJ and TM are big enough they can run enough inside and be dangerous that defenses know that's a weapon in the arsenal. Plus, from reports, Taquan was running midline during scrimmage with pretty good succes...from reports.
I want a guy who can break tackles and drag defenders running inside. Only 1 has proven that ability. If one of our little guys is running inside, he better know how to get down. That's not what I want running inside.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I'm beginning to think MJ isn't injured at all and has been practicing all this time. He purposely played poorly last Saturday to sell the story that he's rusty. He'll be our starter! CPJ, you wily coyote!

SlawDog

Banned
I'm beginning to think MJ isn't injured at all and has been practicing all this time. He purposely played poorly last Saturday to sell the story that he's rusty. He'll be our starter! CPJ, you wily coyote!
If he played poorly it was for just a little while. My understanding was that he was hurt on the 1st series.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I want a guy who can break tackles and drag defenders running inside. Only 1 has proven that ability. If one of our little guys is running inside, he better know how to get down. That's not what I want running inside.

I wouldn't sell any of the QBs short on running inside. I think they all would have varying degrees of success, but I think all are capable. I think LJ can be every bit as tough of a runner inside that Nesbitt was and MJ is. He's a big boy that's going to get bigger and stronger as the years go. Taquan was an AB, and as you know, ABs have to be tough and make blocks to see the field...which Taquan saw a lot of as a true freshmen. Haven't seen JJ run inside too much, but I have no doubt given he could given his physical size versus JeT.

You're right, only one guy has proven it in a real game. But I have every confidence in the other three QBs to be a force running inside. Having my seal of approval is almost as good as CPJ's seal of approval. :)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't sell any of the QBs short on running inside. I think they all would have varying degrees of success, but I think all are capable. I think LJ can be every bit as tough of a runner inside that Nesbitt was and MJ is. He's a big boy that's going to get bigger and stronger as the years go. Taquan was an AB, and as you know, ABs have to be tough and make blocks to see the field...which Taquan saw a lot of as a true freshmen. Haven't seen JJ run inside too much, but I have no doubt given he could given his physical size versus JeT.

You're right, only one guy has proven it in a real game. But I have every confidence in the other three QBs to be a force running inside. Having my seal of approval is almost as good as CPJ's seal of approval. :)
I agree LJ has the body, but we don't know if he has the will. Vad had the body and not the will. I guarantee you CPJ will call way less qb follows and midlines with the little qbs. There is a reason for that.

Inside running is way more productive if your ball carrier can get yac. I'm not talking about being elusive in short spaces, I'm talking about running through arm tackles and dragging defenders. Those extra two yards means the difference between 3rd and short and 3rd and medium. The qb also has to be durable, able to withstand those hits.

I'm fine with a little qb. He just better be good at running the seam, pitching, reading, passing, etc. The inside game is much diminished. I know TM ran some midlines in the scrimmage. That sounds heartening. Let's see him do it against UT's ones instead of GT's 2's and 3's.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree LJ has the body, but we don't know if he has the will. Vad had the body and not the will. I guarantee you CPJ will call way less qb follows and midlines with the little qbs. There is a reason for that.

Inside running is way more productive if your ball carrier can get yac. I'm not talking about being elusive in short spaces, I'm talking about running through arm tackles and dragging defenders. Those extra two yards means the difference between 3rd and short and 3rd and medium. The qb also has to be durable, able to withstand those hits.

I'm fine with a little qb. He just better be good at running the seam, pitching, reading, passing, etc. The inside game is much diminished. I know TM ran some midlines in the scrimmage. That sounds heartening. Let's see him do it against UT's ones instead of GT's 2's and 3's.

One thing to keep in mind about MJ and running all those midlines and QB follows: Against VT, CPJ knew MJ was not going to play all season. He could run all those between the tackles plays with MJ because he didn't need to "save" him. I doubt CPJ is going to run a QB into the ground all season. No QB would last long.

As for LJ and his "will"...the guy knew what he signed up for. He said it when he committed. He came here to run the triple option offense. QBs in our offense take hits, and he signed up for it. It wasn't like Vad who from day one said CPJ would change the offense and pass more eventually. Notice none of our QB signees and commits ever bring that up anymore?

JeT took us to an ACC Championship game, an Orange Bowl win, won 9 games and 11 games. He did it without even a light dose of between the tackles running. I LOVE midlines as much as the next guy, but let's not oversell the play's importance to our success.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just My opinion I want a QB on the 3O who does not take the A-backs lane. If he is that fast as JT ok. But if he is not then all you are doing is running an option not a 3O. Doesn't do any good to pitch to the A-back if there are 4 defensive players waiting on the outside. I'm not an expert on the 3O but I think the QB if he keeps it needs to turn up field before he gets to wide.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't get to watch the most recent scrimmage, but I rewatched the spring game and there was a whole lot of meh. I had thought that with 4 capable guys competing at least one would really separate himself. Sounds like that hasn't been the case. Paul's comments the other day saying it hasn't gone like he expected were a little concerning to me. He's probably engaged in a disinformation campaign to throw everyone off, but I'm still concerned.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If our quarterback is not going to run inside, he damn well better be a magician on the mesh fake give. We have to be able to freeze the linebackers and safeties or they're going to have a running start at the edge. He better be able to pass like JeT, too.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If our quarterback is not going to run inside, he damn well better be a magician on the mesh fake give. We have to be able to freeze the linebackers and safeties or they're going to have a running start at the edge. He better be able to pass like JeT, too.
So...perhaps this will make me persona non grata here...but I never thought JT was a great passer. Like, he was adequate, for sure, but I never thought he was anything special. He was good enough to keep defenses honest, which is really all you NEED, but it wasn't like he struck fear into your hearts with his arm or anything.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
So...perhaps this will make me persona non grata here...but I never thought JT was a great passer. Like, he was adequate, for sure, but I never thought he was anything special. He was good enough to keep defenses honest, which is really all you NEED, but it wasn't like he struck fear into your hearts with his arm or anything.

He was fine mechanically. We just had to limit the passing game because of his size. Roll him out, have him throw on the run etc. He was just too short to operate in the pocket and make every throw. Just my opinion on it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
funny. Find one GT QB under Paul that has gone beyond 55% completion percentage. One time it happend. TW did it at 56%.

Justin Thomas was career 49% with a dumpster fire year. Tevin was career 50%. Nesbitt was career 43%.

Tracy Hamm career passing 52%
Candeto career 49%

so what exactly are you guys expecting? I expect low 50's completion percentage around 10 y/a. Go pick any QB...its about that under paul...its how his system takes shots...its low percentage stuff...

so...eh. Lucas Johnson will be around the same...I don't think any of these qbs struck any fear with their arms...really..nor will our system

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

It's a legitimate perspective. I think JT did a couple things very well, which goes to what @Lavoisier was saying about mechanics: JT had a really quick release (with decent form) and threw a nice back shoulder. I also agree that his height limited him, especially in the pocket, so that he often had to rollout or jump in order to get passes off. Under pressure, his passes suffered. In 2014, he was helped having Smelter and Waller who did for him what BayBay did for JN.

Completion % is a tough stat for GT QB's because we throw a higher % of lower% passes.

(On TW, since @33jacket brought him up: I think if you go back and look, you'll see an awful lot of dropped catchable passes. When his best WR Stephen Hill left, he had a reputation for drops. I don't know if that stat is kept anywhere)

SlawDog

Banned
Just My opinion I want a QB on the 3O who does not take the A-backs lane. If he is that fast as JT ok. But if he is not then all you are doing is running an option not a 3O. Doesn't do any good to pitch to the A-back if there are 4 defensive players waiting on the outside. I'm not an expert on the 3O but I think the QB if he keeps it needs to turn up field before he gets to wide.
Also everyone acts like the midline is the QB taking the snap and then running off tackle. The midline is a very quick read to give or keep. It's a lot more than just being able to run inside

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

We haven't had a great passer since the Lil Joe/Goose years. 48-52% does not qualify in this day and age.

I wouldn't call skeletons a joke, as the defense knows its a passing play and the QB needs to get it out within a certain time or the defense "wins". It's a good drill for QBs to practice accuracy, anticipation, and manipulating the defense. There's value in that. If QBs have a hard time completing passes in those drills, it's going to hard for them to complete passes when DLs and LBs are breathing down their necks, and they have to keep their eyes down the field.
7 on 7 must have value. Everybody does it. It is practice. We are practicing skills.