Fall Camp Thread

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if having AM out for UT gives MJ, assuming he's healthy, a little more of an edge playing this game. The reason I ask is because with Shamire having to play significant minutes, it really dictates more of an inside running game.

good god, the mental acrobats with you and Matthew Jordan. haha, but in all seriousness, the dude was out for spring, knocked out of the scrimmage, didn't practice yesterday, didn't pass today...Maybe its time to open your mind to someone else under center opening night.

I get lots of people like the midline, but:

-Taquon ran it very successfully at the scrimmage
-There are some big bodies at QB outside of MJ, the current guys make JT look like a midget
-Its also just one play

also, AM was projected to start @ RT and was backup C. Kenny Cooper is our starter @ C

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think TM will end up being the starter, and I can see why from the limited film I have seen plus comments from the last scrimmage. I have always worried, not about his running but passing, it sounds like it has improved a lot though. I think if JJ can get down ball security and reads he might take over sometime during the season, that's a big IF as of right now though.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Practice No. 11: Tuesday, Aug. 15

THE FLATS -- The Yellow Jackets returned to just helmets and shoulder pads for practice on Tuesday afternoon, as Tech continued its second week of full practice of fall camp.

Practice Details:
On another hot afternoon that saw some clouds from time to time throughout the practice session, the Yellow Jackets practiced a total of 21 periods for just under two hours and 15 minutes. With the team wearing just helmets and shoulder pads, the practice consisted of a lot of position work, skill work and offensive and defensive unit group work.

Plays of the Day:
In the 7-on-7 pass skill drill, Tech freshman quarterback Tobias Oliver threw a great deep ball to the right sideline which hit fellow newcomer and A-back Josh Blancato over the shoulder on a corner route for a 35-plus yard gain. However, the defense answered back in the 11-on-11 drills, as junior linebacker Brant Mitchell stepped in front of an offensive pass to the running back out of the backfield to break up the play and almost pull off the pick-six for the guys in navy blue.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Practice No. 11: Tuesday, Aug. 15

THE FLATS -- The Yellow Jackets returned to just helmets and shoulder pads for practice on Tuesday afternoon, as Tech continued its second week of full practice of fall camp.

Practice Details:
On another hot afternoon that saw some clouds from time to time throughout the practice session, the Yellow Jackets practiced a total of 21 periods for just under two hours and 15 minutes. With the team wearing just helmets and shoulder pads, the practice consisted of a lot of position work, skill work and offensive and defensive unit group work.

Plays of the Day:
In the 7-on-7 pass skill drill, Tech freshman quarterback Tobias Oliver threw a great deep ball to the right sideline which hit fellow newcomer and A-back Josh Blancato over the shoulder on a corner route for a 35-plus yard gain. However, the defense answered back in the 11-on-11 drills, as junior linebacker Brant Mitchell stepped in front of an offensive pass to the running back out of the backfield to break up the play and almost pull off the pick-six for the guys in navy blue.
I like to hear that from Tobias Oliver he is gonna be a stud when he gets the chance to start for us im glad of this i know its just practice but im excited to see him play and hopefully lucas johnson are our future Qb's

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like they practiced in shells today due to going hard the past 2 weeks. Taquan and MJ did not throw in skeletons today. JJ did not practice at all. Lucas took the majority of the passing reps today and did a really good job. Chase Martenson got some reps.

Not much to take away really as I think CPJ wanted to throttle down to let the guys heal up a bit, but still wanted to get some reps in. Next two days will be more scrimmaging and contact drills. Saturday scrimmage.

Whoever comes out of this week #1 will be the guy to run the ship come UT. Next week will be game prep week.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Definitely could change the game plan. I wonder who would be the next best inside runner if MJ isn't ready.

I think all 4 QBs are capable of running inside. I think someone like MJ and LJ would be able take more inside runs due to their size, but I think JJ and TM are big enough they can run enough inside and be dangerous that defenses know that's a weapon in the arsenal. Plus, from reports, Taquan was running midline during scrimmage with pretty good succes...from reports.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think what is interesting is lj basically took all snaps in 7 on 7 and paul said looked good....

7 on 7 is a bit of a joke. But, at least he looked good in it.

I am thinking lj may be the odds on favorite to win it out right. Should be interesting saturday

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think what is interesting is lj basically took all snaps in 7 on 7 and paul said looked good....

7 on 7 is a bit of a joke. But, at least he looked good in it.

I am thinking lj may be the odds on favorite to win it out right. Should be interesting saturday

I wouldn't call skeletons a joke, as the defense knows its a passing play and the QB needs to get it out within a certain time or the defense "wins". It's a good drill for QBs to practice accuracy, anticipation, and manipulating the defense. There's value in that. If QBs have a hard time completing passes in those drills, it's going to hard for them to complete passes when DLs and LBs are breathing down their necks, and they have to keep their eyes down the field.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't call skeletons a joke, as the defense knows its a passing play and the QB needs to get it out within a certain time or the defense "wins". It's a good drill for QBs to practice accuracy, anticipation, and manipulating the defense. There's value in that. If QBs have a hard time completing passes in those drills, it's going to hard for them to complete passes when DLs and LBs are breathing down their necks, and they have to keep their eyes down the field.

What i mean is its not a drill that when a coach says a qb does well in it you can extrapolate much. I get what its for and what it helps. But we lost to ga state in pass skells competition (in the past). So what i mean is using that as armament for lj is not heavy machinery

Its also why i said its good he is doing good in it to your last point.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What i mean is its not a drill that when a coach says a qb does well in it you can extrapolate much. I get what its for and what it helps. But we lost to ga state in pass skells competition (in the past). So what i mean is using that as armament for lj is not heavy machinery

Its also why i said its good he is doing good in it to your last point.

Iirc, we lost to gstate in 7v7 before the 2015 season. I'm still not sure that was meaningless. (If it wasn't 2015, shut up)

Regardless, there's a difference between uncoached games and coached drills.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Iirc, we lost to gstate in 7v7 before the 2015 season. I'm still not sure that was meaningless. (If it wasn't 2015, shut up)

Regardless, there's a difference between uncoached games and coached drills.

Well. That could be an indication of a loose cover 4 more than the qb of the 2015 gt team. He wasnt bad. What was his name?

7 on 7 is a drill. Like many drills a backup can do them well and still suck in a game. My point is its nice to hear lj did it well but dont take much out of it beyond that. I think more of an indication to me is time is slowing and mj is mia. So it shaping to be the lj or tm show

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like they practiced in shells today due to going hard the past 2 weeks. Taquan and MJ did not throw in skeletons today. JJ did not practice at all. Lucas took the majority of the passing reps today and did a really good job. Chase Martenson got some reps.

Not much to take away really as I think CPJ wanted to throttle down to let the guys heal up a bit, but still wanted to get some reps in. Next two days will be more scrimmaging and contact drills. Saturday scrimmage.

Whoever comes out of this week #1 will be the guy to run the ship come UT. Next week will be game prep week.
Why didn't TM throw in skels?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why didn't TM throw in skels?

Not sure...CPJ said something to the effect that TM and MJ both have been throwing a lot and wanted to rest them. Which is odd, because CPJ said MJ didn't even practice yesterday, and KQ mentioned that MJ injured his throwing shoulder.

Conspiracy theory: CPJ wants to get Lucas as much reps as possible because he's playing.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure...CPJ said something to the effect that TM and MJ both have been throwing a lot and wanted to rest them. Which is odd, because CPJ said MJ didn't even practice yesterday, and KQ mentioned that MJ injured his throwing shoulder.

Conspiracy theory: CPJ wants to get Lucas as much reps as possible because he's playing.
I'm guessing MJ it's bc his shoulder is banged up and skels may be more of a defensive drill for Tech. Re TM, sure, all conspiracy theories accepted.

Here's a worse one. LJ gives the best Dormady/Guarantano look. ;)