Fall Camp Thread

SlawDog

Banned
Good grief.

Quick note to everyone: don't ask how anyone did that's not a projected starter.

Your incessant need to make every question an indictment on MJ is getting really old. It won't affect my rooting for him, but it will earn ya that ignore button pretty quick. And I hate doing that.
I didn't mention MJ. They ARE backups aren't they. I suggest you use that ignore button.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good grief.

Quick note to everyone: don't ask how anyone did that's not a projected starter.

Your incessant need to make every question an indictment on MJ is getting really old. It won't affect my rooting for him, but it will earn ya that ignore button pretty quick. And I hate doing that.

Unfortunate part is MJ is a GREAT young man who's been nothing but the model SA for GT. I would never associate MJ personally with some of the stuff that gets posted here because it's beyond his control, but I could see how some on here would get turned off. Reminds me a lot of the Brad Stewart situation when he was getting recruited and then after he signed.

Both are GREAT young men who don't deserve to pay the price for overzealous fans. None of our SAs do.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like we have some guys who can play at QB as Coach has said. You can't make much out of 7on7 on the first day of practice however. In fact it's more of a defensive drill than offensive. Now 11 on 11 equals out O and D because you have a run threat.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Lucas Johnson made the pass of the day!!!! To Qua Searcy, who's on the first team. Which means LJ is taking over QB1!!! :)

Example of reading too much into practice reports without context. Especially practices without pads!

Great to hear about official football practices ('cause it means football is almost here)...but the good stuff doesn't happen until they put on the pads and strap on those helmets.

Yeah, but I've also seen the kid take a hit while standing in the pocket during the spring game. So there is room for optimism.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think MJ is going to do just fine if he is our QB. It is going to force defensive coordinators to reteach how to defend our offense. IMO the reason we had a lot of success against VT is that they prepared for a JT style game where you had to focus on containment at the edge. MJ trots out and they get a heavy dose of inside runs, QB follows, midlines, called keeps. It really threw them off, and suddenly they had to defend the inside more than the edge, they had no answer.

MJ might have an easier time throwing than JT. He is taller and may be able to stay in the pocket with less sprint outs. I am not taking anything away from JT. I was/am a big fan, and he won us a lot of games.

I do think it is laughable that we as fans must find something to fret about. With MJ it is passing, with JT it was his size (could he last), there will always be something. The only one that really warranted concern was the QB that wouldn't run the option.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but I've also seen the kid take a hit while standing in the pocket during the spring game. So there is room for optimism.

I remember that Justin was very very quick at setting up and getting the pass off while he was rolling out. Also know that Justin was not able to see the defenses from the pocket due to height and thus the roll out. Due to his greatness this was not an issue.

What we will not know about the 7-7 drill is what went on before the pass by Lucas. Did he just look at the receiver the whole time and throw from a set up? Or Did he look at other receivers and then come off them -quickly switching his feet and getting the ball out without a big reset and wind up.

In his high school film he was a very good passer - with best point being - when he decided to throw the ball is up and out high overhead in an instant.

There are reasons to be optimistic but we have to see how it works out in pads, then in pads with contact. If he has a greatness quality in him coach will see it.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Also in 7 on 7 drills the offense hasn't been mercilessly pounding you with a ground game and hounding you with big, physical receivers who then run by you on play action and mess with your good life. It's a play in a drill at the beginning of camp. It does show the fanbase concern with Thomas' passing ability graduating and a more unproven passer taking the helm. IMO it's a learning curve and he doesn't need to be JT because of the power running game we should have. I'd take a Tevin-junior year-like performance from MJ in his first year in a heartbeat. Height in the pocket will be nice to have.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I don't like that our own guys are using Odell as the crazy catch measuring stick when we have Calvin F'n Johnson who was making catches like that on the regular for us.
Even when Calvin was in his prime , if he ever made a good catch they said he "Mossed" someone. I wouldn't read into that much playa.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A lot has been based on our win over VT last year. Watch the replay on YouTube. They made a bunch of mistakes that had nothing to do with our offense. In fact our offense was pretty lame in the first half and helped by a couple of penalties. MJ did play a decent 2nd half but we had worn their D out in the 1st half. He should be more confident as a 3rd year guy and let's all hope he has improved his passing and pitches on the edges this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Still, when CPJ says he has the potential to be one of the best safeties to play at GT you would expect the Forced fumbles, picks etc. Of course he can still get there, and I hope he does. But imo the other poster is right on. Hopefully the 3rd year is the charm.

Here's what AJ has done statistically. I don't know how 55 solo tackles compares for his position around the league, but it seems good. http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/player/255/1070691/index.html

The picture is Brad... for those who have not figured it out.

OK, I have to comment that whoever threw the ball did a lousy job.

Practice No. 2: Saturday, Aug. 5......

Plays of the Day:
........ The defense set the tone early in the seven-on-seven drills as senior defensive back Corey Griffin broke up not one, but two passes over the first five plays in the period. The closed out the drill with an interception at the goal line by junior safety Josh Selembo on a deep ball down the middle of the field.

Sounds like the O had a bad day overall with all the D call outs :whistle:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
AJ had an OK sophomore year. Not bad, not great. I want to see him play up to his billing coming in as a recruit. He's such a phenomenal athlete. He's got all the tools. Just needs to put it all together.

Corey Griffin played really well last year, probably our strongest overall DB toward the back half of last season. He really blossomed into the position.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot has been based on our win over VT last year. Watch the replay on YouTube. They made a bunch of mistakes that had nothing to do with our offense. In fact our offense was pretty lame in the first half and helped by a couple of penalties. MJ did play a decent 2nd half but we had worn their D out in the 1st half. He should be more confident as a 3rd year guy and let's all hope he has improved his passing and pitches on the edges this year.

I can remember some games that VT won with a lame offense and timely penalties against us: 2008, 2013, 2015. When MJ impressed me the most in the VT game was the last TD drive before the half. We got the ball on their side of the 50 with about a minute and a half to go and no timeouts. IIRC, we ran 5 or 6 plays and didn't throw any passes. That was a time ripe for panic and penalties. Instead, he got the team lined up, got the ball to the right man, and muscled his way into the end zone for the TD with just a few seconds left. And that was on the road against the division champion known for their defense. I think combining that ability with the talent returning around him is going to win a lot of games this year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Their defense was gassed in the first half. I sure hope he has worked on his weaknesses in the off season. Our success is very dependent on how he performs. History says we can't count on our defense to win many games. Let's hope there is a step up there this year as well.