Fall Camp Thread

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Gotta love how half the people in the room caught on to CPJ's "Who?" When asked about Mills. Seems a lot more relaxed compared to the last couple interviews. Also sounds like Anree Saint-Amour is getting better which is great news for our pass rush. Hate that Lynch is still out though that is one position where we have a lot of depth with game experience, but hopefully we can get him back this week.

It can't be healthy to be pissed off all the time like that

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I love the fact that he is trying to control the narrative… Great comments at the end about others availability. In addition, it appears the reporters more likely told not to ask about the quarterbacks.

I think CPJ has a great feeling about this team and wants to do what he can to get them off to a good start!

LOL....pretty sure QB questions are off limits now, especially a certain tall redshirt freshman QB from San Diego. Loose lips sink ships....CPJ put the kibosh on the ENTIRE team of coaches and players (and probably ball boys and waterboys) talking to the media. Can't remember one time that's happened since he's been here.

CPJ is up to something...

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
LOL....pretty sure QB questions are off limits now, especially a certain tall redshirt freshman QB from San Diego. Loose lips sink ships....CPJ put the kibosh on the ENTIRE team of coaches and players (and probably ball boys and waterboys) talking to the media. Can't remember one time that's happened since he's been here.

It's impossible to get info right now. At least we'll have apparel deal to talk about tomorrow

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow

I love it! It's funny, because it's so not like PJ that he must feel he has a real benefit in there!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now, we are missing off last year's offense the QB, the best BB, the best AB, the Center, and the most experienced Lineman. I know we will get a couple of them back, but right now that's quite a lot. I know I've had to temper my expectations some in the last couple of weeks. But I find myself thinking that taken as a whole, the two deep may be a couple of notches above where we typically are. There are no stars I can hang my hat on like JT or Shaq or Smelter or Orwin. But I believe (hope), that we have 17 or 18 guys on the two deep that can play with anybody on the schedule not named Clemson (and I'm not ready to totally concede that until I see Clemson play a game or two). Maybe this will be a no-name offense that workman like eats clock, throws fresh bodies at you in the second half with no dropoff, and just grinds out points. I think PJ would be able to beat a hell of a lot of teams on our schedule with that type offensive team. But what do I know. Two weeks ago, I was certain we were going to meat grind teams with the midline. There are two weeks until the first game, so I have several more chances to alter my offensive outlook.

PJ did seem very relaxed at the media meeting. That means he's hiding something. He's somehow able to know more about what is going on than me, and I've been a GT fan longer than he's been a football coach. And I don't like it one damn bit.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
Right now, we are missing off last year's offense the QB, the best BB, the best AB, the Center, and the most experienced Lineman. I know we will get a couple of them back, but right now that's quite a lot. I know I've had to temper my expectations some in the last couple of weeks. But I find myself thinking that taken as a whole, the two deep may be a couple of notches above where we typically are. There are no stars I can hang my hat on like JT or Shaq or Smelter or Orwin. But I believe (hope), that we have 17 or 18 guys on the two deep that can play with anybody on the schedule not named Clemson (and I'm not ready to totally concede that until I see Clemson play a game or two). Maybe this will be a no-name offense that workman like eats clock, throws fresh bodies at you in the second half with no dropoff, and just grinds out points. I think PJ would be able to beat a hell of a lot of teams on our schedule with that type offensive team. But what do I know. Two weeks ago, I was certain we were going to meat grind teams with the midline. There are two weeks until the first game, so I have several more chances to alter my offensive outlook.

PJ did seem very relaxed at the media meeting. That means he's hiding something. He's somehow able to know more about what is going on than me, and I've been a GT fan longer than he's been a football coach. And I don't like it one damn bit.
Yeah, I just have a feeling if I ever had to play poker with the man that he'd take all of my money.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
LOVE CPJ's attitude at the end of the video:

Reporter: "What's the rationale behind the restricting media availability of the assistant coaches?"

CPJ: "You guys. You guys write your own narrative. If I don't tell you want you want to hear, you just go ask the next guy until you hear what you want. Not anymore. No more next guys. Just me."

CPJ is the best coach ever.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thus far I like the tenor of CPJ pressers. No red alerts, like in 15, thus far. Imo mostly quiet confidence with a repeating notion of pushing guys to get better every day. Maybe not quite as confident as '14 but my fading memory may be blurring lines. I'm just glad there aren't any emergency alarms so far.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Well. Cooper is as good as burden. So dont worry.

Our overall 5 are better than 2014.

Qb and bb will be a step back from last year. But. Bb will be a system wash imo. That position can be a focus like with mills. Or a temp test like it may shift too. I am not worried. We can adjust cuz paul can.

Ab will be better

Wr will be even.

I am way more worried about a d that is well. What it is.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow

Qb and bb will be a step back from last year. But. Bb will be a system wash imo. That position can be a focus like with mills. Or a temp test like it may shift too. I am not worried. We can adjust cuz paul can.

Ab will be better

Wr will be even.

And frankly I think the competition is getting better by leaps and bounds so just incremental improvements may not suffice.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck

Ab will be better

Wr will be even.

Agree that we will win if our D can make a few stops. That's how we beat UGA/UK and lost to UNC, who are rough comps for UT.

Only O concern is that we may try to do too much too soon. If my tea leaf guess is right, we will have a quick passing package -- r'n'shoot, screen and draw -- ready for when they inevitably roll safeties into the alleys. There's a lot of upside to this, we have the OL and skill guys to do it, but it's more than we usually expect to pull off if in a first game, especially with green QBs.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree that we will win if our D can make a few stops. That's how we beat UGA/UK and lost to UNC, who are rough comps for UT.

Only O concern is that we may try to do too much too soon. If my tea leaf guess is right, we will have a quick passing package -- r'n'shoot, screen and draw -- ready for when they inevitably roll safeties into the alleys. There's a lot of upside to this, we have the OL and skill guys to do it, but it's more than we usually expect to pull off if in a first game, especially with green QBs.

Dude. We are going to come out vs ut in heavy arse base. Thats not to say the first play isnt a play action pass. Because thats just what paul does. My gut says the other way. Lots of rocket tosses. Ab counters. Inside veer. Triple options. Speed options. Occasional quick swing pass to wr.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Really - come on. He wants to win football games and he believes Tennessee not knowing who is going to be the QB is a distinct advantage. We can wait. He has been pretty honest about others. Said Cooper might be his best OL. Has said Bryan is back at guard which tells me Stickler likely starting. Has been honest about Benson and Lynch being out. They will play if they are not hurt - he doesn't know if they will be well or not.

It is disconcerting that will start a new QB and BB whomever they are but on the other hand we may have the best offensive line sans Shaq that we have had under CPJ. Our wide receivers are experienced and good players if not all stars. I believe that is what he is thinking and is all he knows until we play some games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Talk about coming out with heavy run shoot package in first game is for a crazy gunslinger mentality.

If we can sprinkle it in during season , the d c will have more to prepare. The real gunslinger will save it for a big GAME.
At qb it could be a passer at qb who can read the mismatch. L j Could be really great athlete like ( j j or t m) who can also pass.

(You really can run from the run and shot without a great passer. A few years ago in a air raid college team had just lost its 4th string qb in the very last part of season. They closed practice as they prepared for bowl game. They came out in same r s formation with 5 o l , 1 fast rb and 5 wr .
They spread the field and the w r as qb and r b ran wild for 700 yards rushing. Baylor vs ucla.).

Since we are going to be very good on offense, we will not do much passing during regular games, we can save heavy passing package for the playoffs.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Dude. We are going to come out vs ut in heavy arse base. Thats not to say the first play isnt a play action pass. Because thats just what paul does. My gut says the other way. Lots of rocket tosses. Ab counters. Inside veer. Triple options. Speed options. Occasional quick swing pass to wr.

My hope is that we run quick hitting stuff out of the base to start off with to sort of minimize the defense's ability to disrupt and create negative plays thus gaining confidence with our new quarterback and bback whoever it is. The worst thing that could happen is to allow UT to pin their ears back and get us behind the chains. Typically Paul just runs base stuff to start off with to see what the defense is going to do then he'll adjust accordingly. Sometimes they'll run some sort of wheel route/pass play to start the game if they get a certain look, but for the most part he's running base stuff to gauge what the defense has in store for him. Right now, I don't see how he'd know exactly what the team is good at executing. Hopefully UT's head is spinning so much on defense that we get them on roller skates early.