Fall Camp Thread

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
LOVE CPJ's attitude at the end of the video:

Reporter: "What's the rationale behind the restricting media availability of the assistant coaches?"

CPJ: "You guys. You guys write your own narrative. If I don't tell you want you want to hear, you just go ask the next guy until you hear what you want. Not anymore. No more next guys. Just me."

CPJ is the best coach ever.
I did not love that attitude. At all. In fact, I was thoroughly surprised and thought it was uncalled for. But perhaps I'm not reading the same articles, because I haven't seen anyone pushing any narrative. All I've seen is standard-issue beat reporting

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I did not love that attitude. At all. In fact, I was thoroughly surprised and thought it was uncalled for. But perhaps I'm not reading the same articles, because I haven't seen anyone pushing any narrative. All I've seen is standard-issue beat reporting

I can't speak for CPJ, but he may be alluding to the fact that injury information is held pretty tightly. They asked CPJ about Clinton Lynch's injury at the start of fall camp and he gave a sort of vague/nothing response. Fast forward a couple of days and Ken starts in on Clinton, asking him very specific questions about what kind of procedure he had, what his ailment was and what his prognosis was. Ken ought to know better than that. He ought to know that that stuff is guarded like a state secret and that HIPPA prevents the school from saying much, which is the way Paul prefers it anyway. Not satisfied with taking the official line, Ken got nosy and started in on Clinton about it. Now Clinton shouldn't have divulged that information if he didn't want to, but I blame Ken on that one. He ought to have known better than to do that to the kid.

I'm sure there's other examples, but that's the one that comes to mind most recently.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I can't speak for CPJ, but he may be alluding to the fact that injury information is held pretty tightly. They asked CPJ about Clinton Lynch's injury at the start of fall camp and he gave a sort of vague/nothing response. Fast forward a couple of days and Ken starts in on Clinton, asking him very specific questions about what kind of procedure he had, what his ailment was and what his prognosis was. Ken ought to know better than that. He ought to know that that stuff is guarded like a state secret and that HIPPA prevents the school from saying much, which is the way Paul prefers it anyway. Not satisfied with taking the official line, Ken got nosy and started in on Clinton about it. Now Clinton shouldn't have divulged that information if he didn't want to, but I blame Ken on that one. He ought to have known better than to do that to the kid.

I'm sure there's other examples, but that's the one that comes to mind most recently.
Same for assistant coaches. When CPJ gives a non-answer, he doesn't want the reporters probing the assistants to get the answer. I'm sure they don't have time to coordinate a party line on every possible scenario or question so that leaves the assistants a little vulnerable to divulging something the coach would rather keep silent.

They should get the message that it is off limits when CPJ nixes it but they don't. It's like when Mommy says no and the little kid goes behind her back and asks Daddy for the same thing when Mommy's not around.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Same for assistant coaches. When CPJ gives a non-answer, he doesn't want the reporters probing the assistants to get the answer. I'm sure they don't have time to coordinate a party line on every possible scenario or question so that leaves the assistants a little vulnerable to divulging something the coach would rather keep silent.

They should get the message that it is off limits when CPJ nixes it but they don't. It's like when Mommy says no and the little kid goes behind her back and asks Daddy for the same thing when Mommy's not around.

The Fourth Estate thinks that rules only apply to the "little people" not to the best and brightest such as themselves. I am personally fed up with the media as a whole and with the Atlanta Constitution in particular. They only want to write about what fits the narrative. So be it. Doesn't mean I put much stock in anything they have to say in sports, politics, or anything else. Coach Johnson has made it very clear that he will not divulge specifics about injuries, playing time or much of anything else because he does not trust them. Neither do I.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
The Fourth Estate thinks that rules only apply to the "little people" not to the best and brightest such as themselves. I am personally fed up with the media as a whole and with the Atlanta Constitution in particular. They only want to write about what fits the narrative. So be it. Doesn't mean I put much stock in anything they have to say in sports, politics, or anything else. Coach Johnson has made it very clear that he will not divulge specifics about injuries, playing time or much of anything else because he does not trust them. Neither do I.
What narrative?

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Doing some sleuthing, but it appears the number on that QB jersey is #7 (It's centered and to the middle, definitely not a double digit number like 11 and 16). Lucas running with the 1st team again!

You're correct, but at 0:33 Matthew's in there as well. I feel like they include those shots on purpose. To confuse us even more.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, what happened to no student contact until the game? Or was that just until Fall camp was over with?

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
God, how did you know this was going to move into the "fake news/biased media" narrative?

Ken's dependent on CPJ to a certain degree to get information. There's a way to go about doing his job effectively without cow-towing to the coach, but still cultivating a good relationship. He ought to cultivate those relationships and try to gain Coach's trust rather than to engage in behavior like he has been, but for all we know maybe has in the past and it hasn't worked. On the other hand, I sort of don't look at Ken as someone with a clear ax to grind or someone who's actively trying to undermine CPJ. I think Ken asked for this job when his prior sports writing experience was covering highschool stuff for the AJC. One could make a pretty decent argument that he's been in over his head the whole way. He's been on the job for a few years now so he shouldn't make those types of mistakes, but Ken's no Coley Harvey, and he never will be.

I think Paul, who has a *****ly personality to begin with, is a little insulted that the AJC chose to send someone as wet behind the ears as Ken to do this job, who's making these kind of stupid mistakes after being on the job for a few years. I assume it speaks volumes when it comes to the priority that the fish wrapper puts on covering Georgia Tech athletics. I also don't discount that perhaps Ken's been put up to asking questions and pursuing lines of inquiry by various columnists who do have axes to grind. I think that's where CPJ's coming from.

But what do I know?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You're correct, but at 0:33 Matthew's in there as well. I feel like they include those shots on purpose. To confuse us even more.

Saw Matt handing off to QFro in a drill, didn't see him run plays against the scout team with the 1's like #7.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff

That would make sense, except that CPJ has not allowed assistant coaches to address the media but has continued to allow players to face the media, so I don't think it has anything to do with that situation (which, I hadn't heard about Ken doing that, but I'll take your word for it). In fact, I've read every article the AJC has put out regarding Georgia Tech this preseason, including every article Ken has written, and I haven't read anything that resembles there being a "narrative" in the manner that CPJ was talking about. That's what really rubbed me the wrong way. I particularly dislike this blaming it on "the media", which despite it being a popular tactic these days, seems to mask that this policy came out of thin air or out of a feeling of paranoia. It would be a lot clearer if we knew what or who CPJ was referencing, but I doubt we'll ever know since specifics has never been CPJ's method of operation

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
What narrative?

The "narrative" is always some sort of politically correct gibberish that is pushed by the media in an attempt to achieve a desired result regardless of the facts, best interests of the majority or any other consideration. In football, we see this most often in the media continuing love fest with all things UGA and a casual disregard of Tech. Only in this case, it actually sort of makes sense in that this state is overwhelmingly consumed with bulldog mania and their never ceasing parade of 4 and 5 stars with which to pummel Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and assorted victims.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The "narrative" is always some sort of politically correct gibberish that is pushed by the media in an attempt to achieve a desired result regardless of the facts, best interests of the majority or any other consideration. In football, we see this most often in the media continuing love fest with all things UGA and a casual disregard of Tech. Only in this case, it actually sort of makes sense in that this state is overwhelmingly consumed with bulldog mania and their never ceasing parade of 4 and 5 stars with which to pummel Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and assorted victims.

Huh? Where do you get that from Ken? or anyone? I haven't read any phantom narrative from any beat writer covering GT. In the end this hurts your program's branding and messaging, cause it forces Ken to focus on other departments. Patsner gets it. He's as media friendly as it gets and I expect the recruiting, messaging, and branding will reflect that soon.