Fall Camp Thread

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just got through photos from 1st day. Everyone of the D linemen look bigger coming into the year, was pleasantly surprised at Glanton and Martin! You can see the guys have really put in the work in the off season S&C!

Both the Morgans look like they are ready to step in and provide quality depth on the O line. The starters are ready to kick a** and take names! Don't know the exact poundage that Shamire has dropped but he looks better that he's looked in a long time.

Expecting GOOD things from both sides of the LOS this year!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Frankly I also was concerned every time JeT dropped back for a pass. It wasn't until his senior year that he became a good passer.

In my opinion, JT was a more accurate passer and had better timing with the receivers as a sophomore than as a senior. There were so many throws last year that were late or short that caused the receiver to modify their route, allowing the defense to catch up to them or successfully defend the pass. This is not a JT bashing, just an observation that his passing did not appear to improve, but maybe regressed some.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This camp feels different to me, CPJ in a good mood usually means something. Guess time will tell.
I agree, I almost get the feel that he knows something we don't lol. (Something good, a confidence) I like a comment he made about the OL as well, he said he was impressed with 2 or 3 of them and how they moved. If that translates to the field after knowing how well they played last year, and we already know what we have at the skilled positions, that will help the QB out majorly imo. This O could be hard to stop.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Like the sound of that.

The guy can play I think. He is just a more "traditional" type blocker. I keep thinking back to the VT game last year, and then what seemed to happen after that.
I just don't see it. I know folks here (boomer in particular) say he's great situationally, but OG isn't a situational position.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see it. I know folks here (boomer in particular) say he's great situationally, but OG isn't a situational position.

If we are running straight dives with success where he can just drive block, there's no one better to have out there. If he has to pull or cut then he tends to have a tough time.

SlawDog

Banned
@SlawDog please don't turn every post re: MJ into a war. It's ok to critique that he threw a pick-6 in 7-7. If it was JJ or LJ and somebody said "it's a concern", you would be ok with that. It IS a concern. Everyone on this board wants to best QB to play. And I'm confident he will.
Fair enough. I guess we can also say it's a concern that DM won't finish the season because of some future team infractions.....true?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In my opinion, JT was a more accurate passer and had better timing with the receivers as a sophomore than as a senior. There were so many throws last year that were late or short that caused the receiver to modify their route, allowing the defense to catch up to them or successfully defend the pass. This is not a JT bashing, just an observation that his passing did not appear to improve, but maybe regressed some.

Better to underthrow than overthrow typically. Underthrows can still be completed. Especially when you have WR that can go up and high point. I'd rather the QB err on the side of caution. That seemed to be what JT often did but that could be pure speculation.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Better to underthrow than overthrow typically. Underthrows can still be completed. Especially when you have WR that can go up and high point. I'd rather the QB err on the side of caution. That seemed to be what JT often did but that could be pure speculation.
Underthrows are intercepted more than overthrows too. That's why I love CPJ, let's just not throw it, only 3 things can happen when it leaves the QBs hands, and 2 of the 3 are negative.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough. I guess we can also say it's a concern that DM won't finish the season because of some future team infractions.....true?

I love your devotion to MJ. I know you have a vested interest in seeing him be the starting QB. If he ends up there, then I'll be as big a fan as you are.

Can you ATTEMPT to understand how the rest of us think? We want him to succeed, but only the same as we want EVERY player to succeed.

There's a big diff b/w someone saying "it's a slight concern that our starting qb threw a pick six on his first pass" and "I bet this guy gets kicked off the team." You're smarter than that. If DM was late to his first practice, we'd all be concerned. And we would be right to be.

Last edited:

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Perhaps I'm reading way too much into this, but is that Stickler running with the first team OL while Lee watches? Could we have a position battle at LT?