Fall Camp Thread

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First off it was kind of a tongue in cheek comment but since we are going there, let's be honest. Everyone knows that passing is a concern with Jordan, including the coaches. He runs the offense great but we have to be able to throw when necessary. I have watched the VT game and Miami game from 2 years ago several times and I call it like I see it, his passing was dreadful. It should be a concern he's throwing a pick in 7 on 7, a very QB friendly drill. But I give him the benefit of the doubt coming off surgery and his first pass in camp, although they have been running 7-7 all summer. I still think Matt starts game 1 vs UT and I will be pulling like crazy for him and the TEAM.
What did he do on all the other passes? He worked extensively with Lil Joe this summer.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Does he? When cringe when he pitches. Then again when does he pitch?
The third option requires precision in timing, spacing and chemistry with your pitch back. It requires great confidence and a sixth sense, almost, of where your man is when you're charging full tilt at your pitch key. All this takes many, many full speed real game reps to master. MJ may have the most real game experience, but it's still not a lot. He'll be day and night better just after fall camp and those aren't even game reps.

SlawDog

Banned
First off it was kind of a tongue in cheek comment but since we are going there, let's be honest. Everyone knows that passing is a concern with Jordan, including the coaches. He runs the offense great but we have to be able to throw when necessary. I have watched the VT game and Miami game from 2 years ago several times and I call it like I see it, his passing was dreadful. It should be a concern he's throwing a pick in 7 on 7, a very QB friendly drill. But I give him the benefit of the doubt coming off surgery and his first pass in camp, although they have been running 7-7 all summer. I still think Matt starts game 1 vs UT and I will be pulling like crazy for him and the TEAM.
You say it's tongue in cheek then you say it's a concern.
Jordon can chuck the rock just relax.

SlawDog

Banned
Miami was a monsoon thrown in the game when JT went down.
VT plays pretty good D from what I remember and his passing wasn't *that bad and we won. ***relax***

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You say it's tongue in cheek then you say it's a concern.
Jordon can chuck the rock just relax.
I agree he can throw the ball, this is just by seeing high school highlights though which doesn't always translate to the college level. I do believe he has the ability to do it at the college level but from the small sample size we have seen he has not thrown well even if we take away the Miami game (very small sample in the VT game) but it has also been said that he needs to work on his throwing. He worked with Joe for a reason. This imo should show you there is a reason for concern from the fans. Like I said, I believe he has the ability, but idk why you get so defensive over someone making a statement based on what they have seen, and it's hard to argue with the statement.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Welll without pads this cannot be considered to be a very good pass or pass route.

Pic shows a good effort and skill of receiver .
Who is this?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
........... He runs the offense great but we have to be able to throw when necessary. I have watched the VT game and Miami game from 2 years ago several times and I call it like I see it, his passing was dreadful. It should be a concern he's throwing a pick in 7 on 7, a very QB friendly drill. .
How user friendly is 7-7? I have never played or seen it. Aren't there at least 2 people to rush and limited time to throw. The D knows pass is the call. No worry about a run just pass D. Seems D friendly as well, maybe more so. Or do I not understand 7-7 rules.

Frankly I also was concerned every time JeT dropped back for a pass. It wasn't until his senior year that he became a good passer. But the concern each time was as much to do with our porous pass protection as JeT. Only time will tell but IMO major difference will be difference to accelerate when there is an opening and run QB draw. I hope MJ can run the screen as well as we saw in Spring game by LJ and also quick slants.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
How user friendly is 7-7? I have never played or seen it. Aren't there at least 2 people to rush and limited time to throw. The D knows pass is the call. No worry about a run just pass D. Seems D friendly as well, maybe more so. Or do I not understand 7-7 rules.

Frankly I also was concerned every time JeT dropped back for a pass. It wasn't until his senior year that he became a good passer. But the concern each time was as much to do with our porous pass protection as JeT. Only time will tell but IMO major difference will be difference to accelerate when there is an opening and run QB draw. I hope MJ can run the screen as well as we saw in Spring game by LJ and also quick slants.
7-7 isn't a good metric when examining our O. In a 7-7 we are throwing the ball and the defense knows it. In a game, we use the TO and the run to set up play action. I wouldn't read into it that much.