Fall Camp Thread

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Your fake news is fake news :cigar:

Sorry @Skeptic :ROFLMAO:

not at all. please tell me what is inaccurate about my post. Roof is a top 25 or 26 paid assistant in NCAA football and for DC's in the top 15 or 20....we can do better with that budget at DC.

at the end of the day, I would guess many are colored by the fact roof is an alumn...biased in support. I have no idea who is who in that category...but it seems it has to be true. If you look at his results and his name is someone else etc...he doesn't get support

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Roof has wasted all of that talent he walked into. We had All Americans--wait, no we didn't. Well, first team All ACC. Hmm, none of those either. Well look at all the NFL draft choices--wait, only 1 (Gotsis)?

You would have us playing a higher risk defense, rather than bend don't break. With the level of talent we have had the last 3 years, that would have been a disaster.

The level of talent is improving thanks to Roof's recruiting. "But really, the difference has been the inroads that the staff has been building over the past few years, really beginning when Ted Roof came in. Roof has been able to elevate Tech's recruiting, and the difference has been really a mix of a lot of things, including what GT offers being more attractive to kids as well as improved evaluating early." Yomanser.

You don't win with Freshmen on defense. Experience is so important at every defensive position unless you have a roster of athletic freaks. We don't. We are just now getting that combination of talent and experience under Roof.

Thanks to Roof's recruiting and coaching, the defense is getting better. 5.7 yards/play for last season, but 4.9 yards per play for the final 3 games.

CFB has become an offensive game. Fans all over the country are complaining about DC's. So no, we can't do better for the money.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/gtcamp17.html

Practice No. 5: Tuesday, Aug. 8

THE FLATS -- The sound of pads popping returned to The Flats for the first time in more than three months on Tuesday when Georgia Tech football held the first full-pads practice of its 2017 fall camp.

Practice Details:

Georgia Tech donned full pads for the first time since spring practice ended in April on Tuesday. The Yellow Jackets' fifth practice of the season consisted of 23 periods, including extended 11-on-11 drills to close out the two-hour-and-15-minute workout. Like Monday, heavy rain moved over Midtown Atlanta during practice, which led to some good, old-fashioned football in the mud on Rose Bowl Field before practice was moved entirely into the John and Mary Brock Football Facility as the rain intensified and field conditions worsened.

Plays of the Day:
Offensive highlights punctuated the 11-on-11 periods at the end of Tuesday's practice, including:
  • a perfectly executed screen pass from junior quarterback Matthew Jordan to sophomore B-back KirVonte Benson, who was sprung by a key block from junior tackle Jake Stickler for a long gain;
  • a terrific throw and catch from redshirt freshman quarterback Lucas Johnson to redshirt freshman Alan Bussoletti, who used his 6-4 frame to go high over a defender for a big pickup down the right sideline;
  • a long touchdown run by Johnson on an option play over the right side of the offensive line.
Defensively, true freshman Kelton Dawson turned in the biggest play of the 11-on-11 drills when he ripped through the line to take down a runner for a big tackle for loss.
Any team with a WR named Bussoletti has to be a winner.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So, I think there is some wisdom to the argument that says "the eye test doesn't really count as much as it used to, because the game really has changed, and so NO defenses not named Alabama really dominate anymore, it's just a matter of holding teams down".

I think there's also wisdom to the argument that says "ok, fine, but we're still way behind average in efficiency numbers, so even if all defenses are down, Roofs is down even more".

I sort of come down somewhere in the middle. Roof isn't some X's and O's wizard. He's not going to do anything paradigm shifting, and he won't innovate. He's not going to scheme his way to a fantastic defense. That said, it seems pretty clear to me, both by the eyeball test, and by the "services" that Roof has improved the teams recruiting profile, particularly on defense. The improved recruiting on defense is starting to show in the 2 deep. Dudes like Alexander, and Gray, and Saint-Amour, and Adams are dudes that maybe GT doesn't get before Roof arrives. The dude CLEARLY loves GT, knows GT, can sell GT, and can close with GT. (there's also a positive feedback loop, where as better players choose GT, it becomes a reasonable choice for even better players)

I think it's entirely possible...frankly if you FORCED me to bet on it, I'd say probable, and lay my money down...that Roof recruits his way to a decent defense. I don't ever see you guys being a powerhouse defense, but a defense stocked with pretty good recruits, that have 3 or 4 or 5 years in the system under the same DC, with the same calls, and the same reads, you could have an above average D. Frankly, this year, I expect you to have at least an average D, and perhaps even better. I don't really see a huge dropoff in the following years, as the cupboard is relatively full.

Is it exciting? No.

Is it interesting...not particularly.

Is sound? Yeah.

Recruit good players, teach them a sound (if not particularly aggressive) scheme, give them a bajillion reps in it over their careers, and you'll put together a defense that won't embarrass you.

If you've got Johnson's offense, a defense that won't embarrass you will win a lot of games.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Roof has wasted all of that talent he walked into. We had All Americans--wait, no we didn't. Well, first team All ACC. Hmm, none of those either. Well look at all the NFL draft choices--wait, only 1 (Gotsis)?

I'm not disagreeing that our recruiting is better, but Roof inherited the following draft picks:

Gotsis
Attauchu
DJ White
Jamea Thomas
Brandon Watts

He hasn't sent a single one of his defensive recruits to the draft yet but he's entering his 5th season so maybe some of these guys will get picked up.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

You would have us playing a higher risk defense, rather than bend don't break. With the level of talent we have had the last 3 years, that would have been a disaster.

The level of talent is improving thanks to Roof's recruiting. "But really, the difference has been the inroads that the staff has been building over the past few years, really beginning when Ted Roof came in. Roof has been able to elevate Tech's recruiting, and the difference has been really a mix of a lot of things, including what GT offers being more attractive to kids as well as improved evaluating early." Yomanser.

You don't win with Freshmen on defense. Experience is so important at every defensive position unless you have a roster of athletic freaks. We don't. We are just now getting that combination of talent and experience under Roof.

Thanks to Roof's recruiting and coaching, the defense is getting better. 5.7 yards/play for last season, but 4.9 yards per play for the final 3 games.

CFB has become an offensive game. Fans all over the country are complaining about DC's. So no, we can't do better for the money.

FWIW, Roof’s first season was 2013 so 2014 NFL rosters would give first indication of talent on his D.

Drafted: Jeremiah Attaochu
(Chargers 2014-pres); Jemea Thomas (Rams, Titans 2014); Brandon Watts (Vikings 2014-2015, Dolphins 2016- pres)

UDFA: Lou Young (Panthers 2014-2016, Redskins 2017), Emmanuel Dieke (Miami Dolphins 2014-2015, Winnipeg 2016-pres), Euclid Cummings (Bucs*, Tor 2014-2015, Winnipeg 2016, Edm 2017 w/NFL tryout)​

UDFA: Isaiah Johnson (Lions 2015, Rams 2016-pres); Quayshawn Nealy (offseason/practice 2015-2016, Toronto 2017)

Drafted: Adam Gotsis (Broncos 2016-pres), DJ White (Chiefs 2016-pres)

In other words, 9 of our 11 starters, and 1 more off the 2-deep, from the 2013 D which Roof inherited made NFL money. 6 of these 10 were seniors when Roof arrived.

Carry on …

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, Roof’s first season was 2013 so 2014 NFL rosters would give first indication of talent on his D.

Drafted: Jeremiah Attaochu
(Chargers 2014-pres); Jemea Thomas (Rams, Titans 2014); Brandon Watts (Vikings 2014-2015, Dolphins 2016- pres)

UDFA: Lou Young (Panthers 2014-2016, Redskins 2017), Emmanuel Dieke (Miami Dolphins 2014-2015, Winnipeg 2016-pres), Euclid Cummings (Bucs*, Tor 2014-2015, Winnipeg 2016, Edm 2017 w/NFL tryout)​

UDFA: Isaiah Johnson (Lions 2015, Rams 2016-pres); Quayshawn Nealy (offseason/practice 2015-2016, Toronto 2017)

Drafted: Adam Gotsis (Broncos 2016-pres), DJ White (Chiefs 2016-pres)

In other words, 9 of our 11 starters, and 1 more off the 2-deep, from the 2013 D which Roof inherited made NFL money. 6 of these 10 were seniors when Roof arrived.

Carry on …

A 10th starter in 2013 D was Jabari who had been a Freshman All-American the year before. So, I guess all of our trouble on D in 2013 was Demond Smith's fault?

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/t...a-tech-fifth-practice/uo8ft6ZBnBt56o7ViENDMK/

For those that enjoy hearing about freshmen doing well:
4. Freshman defensive end Antwan Owens has given defensive line coach Mike Pelton a little bit of hope that he could contribute this season. Pelton said that Owens has picked up things quickly.

“Some of (the freshmen) are trying to figure it out, then go fast,” Pelton said. “Antwan’s one of those guys, he’s going fast and trying to figure everything else out. He’s working and he has that prototype body, so hopefully we’ll see here within the next couple of weeks if he’s one of those guys that can possibly break into the rotation.”
I was also under the impression that Antwan was a DT, but I guess that has changed now that he's in camp.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
And since this has become as much a CTR thread as a Fall Camp Thread:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/ted-roof-speeds-teaching-pace/icNXY0XYeItbNqikEh6jhN/

Georgia Tech defensive coordinator Ted Roof slowed his teaching pace in the spring based on the success that his unit had in the final four games of the season. In those games, Roof kept the game plans simple, limiting them to calls that players were comfortable with and able to execute.

In preseason practice, though, Roof has dialed the speed back up. After Tuesday’s practice, the fifth of the preseason, Roof said, coaches had taught enough of the defense to be able to play a game, save specialty situations like short-yardage or one-minute defense.

“I changed it up a little bit this camp to a whole-part-whole method, and I think we’re ahead of it because of that,” Roof said.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Kelton has moved inside, Antwan outside
Do you know if Kelton has put on weight over the summer? Based on previously reported weights alone (24/7: Kelton 242, Antwan 270) it would seem that they have switched out of their natural positions. Now I love the idea of a 270+ lb DE, but a DT at under 250 lbs is less than ideal.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
See, I don't know why he's doing that if the only problem has been personnel. Any ideas?
This is purely speculation and not necessarily how I feel on the topic, but he might be dialing up the teaching in the fall camp because he thinks that some of the new faces on defense have a chance to contribute immediately and he wants them to be fully up to speed by the first game since he is finally getting the skilled players he needs. This is just one way to spin it to prove the pro-Roof people correct who say it is personnel related.

You could also spin it the other way for the anti-Roof crowd and say that after all these years here he has not figured out how to teach his players the scheme and that he keeps over-complicating things and that keeps his players from playing to their potential.

Am I doing this right?

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Do you know if Kelton has put on weight over the summer? Based on previously reported weights alone (24/7: Kelton 242, Antwan 270) it would seem that they have switched out of their natural positions. Now I love the idea of a 270+ lb DE, but a DT at under 250 lbs is less than ideal.
Yes, Kelton has definitely put on some weight

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I'm not disagreeing that our recruiting is better, but Roof inherited the following draft picks:

Gotsis
Attauchu
DJ White
Jamea Thomas
Brandon Watts

He hasn't sent a single one of his defensive recruits to the draft yet but he's entering his 5th season so maybe some of these guys will get picked up.
Our coaches recruit by geographic area, not necessarily by position or side of the ball. For instance, Clinton Lynch was a Roof recruit, IIRC

He probably isn't going anywhere, and I don't necessarily want him fired but we're looking down the barrel of an extension and likely more money if we keep him. It's tough for me to see the results and justify a bigger contract but that's what is probably going to happen. 5 years with this staff and still seeing "lesser programs" (I'm not trying to be demeaning but there is a realistic pecking order in the conference) do so much better disappoints me.
I don't know enough about defensive coordinators in the ACC to rank them, but as far as programs go, we are in competition with some very good football teams now. FSU, Miami, Clemson, Va. Tech, Louisville, North Carolina. If we want to be in the mix, we're going to have to play better defense. But every time I think about changing coordinators the whole Wommack-Groh-Kelly episode scares the hell out of me.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/t...s-lofty-personal-goal/8ZL2WO1JRE8bAgByj8qCkO/

Antonio Simmons preparing for a breakout year:

Georgia Tech defensive end Antonio Simmons revealed a goal Tuesday that speaks to his aspirations for his senior season.

“So, my first goal, I just want to be ACC defensive player of the year,” Simmons said.

It might be dismissed as big talk from a defensive end who had one sack last season and wasn’t even a starter. It is ambitious, certainly. But whether he accomplishes it, the goal is a recognition of Simmons’ capacity to be a game-changing force for the Yellow Jackets going into the 2017 season.
“I’ve been thinking about it myself, just, like, I just want to do something great with my last year so everybody can remember me, because I know my first years here haven’t been as I want,” he said.

Over the summer, at the encouragement of defensive-line coach Mike Pelton, Simmons did a lot of stretching to loosen his hips, he said, “because my hips were terrible.” He did drills with agility hoops, which are hoops typically eight or 12 feet in diameter that players run around to develop their speed turning corners, as Simmons might while trying to beat an offensive tackle to the quarterback.

Simmons was in particular trying to improve his “bend,” or his ability to speed around the edge of the pocket by leaning into the offensive tackle. Former Tech All-American Jeremiah Attaochu was particularly adept at this technique.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/t...a-tech-fifth-practice/uo8ft6ZBnBt56o7ViENDMK/

For those that enjoy hearing about freshmen doing well:

I was also under the impression that Antwan was a DT, but I guess that has changed now that he's in camp.
Antwan said he would start at DE and possibly move in. I'm surprised about Dawson starting off inside. Although when I saw the picture of him I said he looked like more of a DT than Antwan. I'm excited about Antwan, he's that rare speed, power, size type kid at DE.