Fall Camp Post Practice

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Defense looked good today. Lots of pressure on QBs due to blitzes etc. lots of INTs due to the pressure. But can’t really judge the offense on this IMO plus we had a couple guys out on OL. Receivers looked good. QBs looked good at times. It’s very early, long ways to go but I am optimistic
Nice. Thanks! How was the atmosphere?

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice. Thanks! How was the atmosphere?
Atmosphere was fun but chaotic. I think it’s the way Collins likes it. Everything is moving very fast and there are lots of things going on at once so very difficult to follow. You have to really focus on one particular thing. Everyone seemed into it though and seemed to be enjoying themselves.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. A. Brown had me looking through the roster to figure out who he was. Great hands, great speed, and able to create separation. Ezzard stood out as well. Maybe it was posted somewhere but I didn’t see Camp at all. Tobias pulled up a little gimpy and got some medical attention late in the session. Hope he is okay.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brown is our top receiver as a freshman.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I was there and from the practice i believe this was just a vanilla taste compared to what we'll see in Death Valley. I did like seeing more pressure on the QB but that doesn't help me in knowing if the blitz schemes are really good or if the o-line is in for a long game or 2. I also feel like they should practice more goal line endgame situations along with the 2 minute drills. I was impressed with the coach incorporating an RPO style of play in with the offense i think the guys will be able to work with it nicely. There is still somethings that need work, but it was a good practice.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If we can get good at some RPO concepts, we can do some real damage especially if there is no film for others to analyze to know our tendencies. We're also going to have a lot greater mix of personnel than prior teams Patenaude has coached, so it's gonna make it really hard for opponents to scheme against us from the start. But of course the learning curve is steep, and inconsistent execution will stall us regardless of the defense.

I don't like what I hear about the chaos because it doesn't seem organized enough, but that might just be people not being familiar with how it's organized. But I think it's really important for guys to know clearly what they are trying to do, and not to sacrifice precision for speed. I know from my reading and experience with competitive disciplines that it isn't volume of practice itself that matters. The practice needs to be intentional at all times, with a clear aim for improvement instead of trying to repeat what you expect of yourself.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have a puncher's chance against Clemson. Remember, they are not a well oiled machine the first game of the year either. Most likely, we will go up their and take an asswhippin. I just hope we play hard and don't hang our head if it does go South early. I think the key is our offensive and defensive lines. We have good size on offense and just need to learn and execute proper technique. On defense we are going to have to play with more fire than we have shown recently. Football is a brutal game and you have to bring it every play or you end up a bottom feeder.

Go Jackets!

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
I mainly watched the offense and for my 2cents the 13 and 16 were the best at QB and Howard , Amerson & Dontae Smith at running back Sanders is going to have a good year if he can stay healthy . But then again what do I know I’m just a fan .

slugboy

Staff member
If we can get good at some RPO concepts, we can do some real damage especially if there is no film for others to analyze to know our tendencies...

Have we even been playing in the offense long enough to have any tendencies? [emoji6]

In other news not related to that post:
Saw this posted this morning: http://www.fox5atlanta.com/sports/ga-tech-football-team-takes-in-different-kind-of-football . Thought it was a nice touch.

I know that Collins hasn’t coached his first GT game yet, but he’s doing a lot of good things. Have to give him credit for that.

On the “how much can you read into an open practice?” question, I don’t know. You can see who’s taking a good angle and reading well and moving fast. You can see who doesn’t know their assignments. You can see who’s moving slow. But I don’t know from the spring game or this how good they’ll be.

I do think the team is moving in a good direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Have we even been playing in the offense long enough to have any tendencies? [emoji6]

Maybe tendencies isn't the best word. There are different routes that you can choose to run for the pass option, and different guys you can scheme to become the read key. We might intentionally run different routes from different personnel/formations/area of field/down and distance, but we also maybe don't want to make things too complicated. The good thing about an RPO, like a lot of play action, bootleg, etc. is that there are fewer routes run that are actual options to throw to. A QB doesn't have to go through a progression, so as long as the right pre-snap read is made and option reads made during the play, when and where the ball needs to be delivered is straightforward. But if the defense knows what you're running too, they can jump routes or disguise coverages and blitzes.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe tendencies isn't the best word. There are different routes that you can choose to run for the pass option, and different guys you can scheme to become the read key. We might intentionally run different routes from different personnel/formations/area of field/down and distance, but we also maybe don't want to make things too complicated. The good thing about an RPO, like a lot of play action, bootleg, etc. is that there are fewer routes run that are actual options to throw to. A QB doesn't have to go through a progression, so as long as the right pre-snap read is made and option reads made during the play, when and where the ball needs to be delivered is straightforward. But if the defense knows what you're running too, they can jump routes or disguise coverages and blitzes.

I was totally teasing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wasn't there Saturday so TIFWIW. Don't make too many conclusions from an early practice. There are goals for every practice period, very often placing limitations on certain position groups. For example, during the spring game it was obvious the defense was playing with one hand behind their back. They might have run 4 different plays. Considering we were in shells Saturday, you know there was not going to be any cut blocking in the pass protection by RBs or the like. Additionally, during certain periods you know the goal is to sling the ball around. The defensive doesn't have to worry about a balanced attack. As long as the drills met their intended purpose, I am happy. Remember, the coaches are trying to do more than just get plays and responsibilities installed. They are trying to see who can do what. We were not in full pads. It sounds to me like most of that practice was trying to push certain conditions to the extremes so coaches can evaluate players.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If we can get good at some RPO concepts, we can do some real damage especially if there is no film for others to analyze to know our tendencies. We're also going to have a lot greater mix of personnel than prior teams Patenaude has coached, so it's gonna make it really hard for opponents to scheme against us from the start. But of course the learning curve is steep, and inconsistent execution will stall us regardless of the defense.

I don't like what I hear about the chaos because it doesn't seem organized enough, but that might just be people not being familiar with how it's organized. But I think it's really important for guys to know clearly what they are trying to do, and not to sacrifice precision for speed. I know from my reading and experience with competitive disciplines that it isn't volume of practice itself that matters. The practice needs to be intentional at all times, with a clear aim for improvement instead of trying to repeat what you expect of yourself.
Just because some fans said it was chaos doesn’t mean it was. If players know what they are doing and the coaches are getting done what they intend everything is fine.