Fall Camp Post Practice

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Could be, but my gut says it’s more about numbers or lack thereof on the OL. Sounds like we’ve got a lot of guys sidelined right now. A benefit of the media being allowed into practice is they don’t ask about injured players. It’s probably a gentleman’s agreement.

Yeah could be. But its not like we are deep or have beef at dt either

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A good 8 min with Patenaude. While there was a bit of coach speak, I probably gleaned more about the offensive philosophy in this segment than from all prior media sessions combined (i.e., let's go down the roster by position and ask you about each guy). Wiley asked good questions.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Makes you think he’s not keen on a freshman QB?

I think we've heard mention of emphasizing making checks at the line depending on the defense. I know Key's interview talked about the center making calls for blocking adjustments at least. It might be that beginning QBs are expected to make checks but not to their own plays, just a limited set (e.g. 1) of options depending on defensive alignment.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we've heard mention of emphasizing making checks at the line depending on the defense. I know Key's interview talked about the center making calls for blocking adjustments at least. It might be that beginning QBs are expected to make checks but not to their own plays, just a limited set (e.g. 1) of options depending on defensive alignment.

As I understand there is a limited check package where based on fronts or secondary they can check to a different play. Particularly for rpo. But this is a small sample of play changes and will increase over time.

This being necessary to his offense makes me think the guy for the job is going to have to be a good study, but recognize it real time on the field, then play well too.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I would agree that most HCs are process oriented, but oftentimes people don't apply process in a lot of areas, and there is a difference between being process oriented and being fanatical about applying process to maximize efficiency. From talking to a HS coach who met with our current staff, I know they were very unhappy with the lack of process around recruiting from the old staff. That's not a shot at CPJ - I was a fan of his and was disappointed when he resigned. But I'm also not terribly surprised. CPJ also pretty clearly didn't have defined process around branding and marketing. CGC seems to be fanatical about maximizing efficiency everywhere (one of the most obvious areas are in how he runs practices), to a degree I think is uncommon.
I have a lot of respect for CPJ, but there was not an ounce of salesmanship in him. That is why he was not more successful as he could have been. And that is not meant to be a knock on him at all, we all have our short comings, and I probably have more than most.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is just a change in what is expected of HC. You are seeing the Neo Coaches that realize marketing, branding, and selling the program are just as important as they help you attract the best players that you put out on the field. I think this is how Dabo is outperforming Saban. CPJ comes from the old school where performance on the field was everything. He was adjusting I think, but our finances and leadership didn’t give him the resources needed, and we didn’t adjust quick enough. I look at the decision to expand stadium to 55k as our biggest mistake, that has hampered our finances ever since. Similarly on the bball side the Hewitt contract restricted that. TS has done a great job of getting more donations and shoring our finances up so we are not so restricted going forward. We will always be required to better manage our resources than Clemson and Bama, who have much more room to make mistakes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As I understand there is a limited check package where based on fronts or secondary they can check to a different play. Particularly for rpo. But this is a small sample of play changes and will increase over time.

This being necessary to his offense makes me think the guy for the job is going to have to be a good study, but recognize it real time on the field, then play well too.
This is very similar to what happened when Paul took over. He called a lot more plays in 2008 then he did in later years. In both cases, there is a problem with getting the QB and OL on the right page when checks are made. The only thing that might make this easier is that the checks in the spread option were a lot more complex. Of course, being used to one kind of complexity is no guarantee that you can quickly get used to another. I expect that over the next year or so, everyone will get on the same page, but I think we have to expect a bit of the "wadda-I-do-now?" looks we got in 2008. It comes with the territory.