Fall Camp Post Practice

slugboy

Staff member
Best offensive player this year. Maybe best player period.

He’s gonna be our Rondale Moore.

I know this sounds strange, but if our best player turned out to be a lineman instead, I could be happy with that too. I’d love to see Lee have a monster season.
This is the time of the year when the skill positions look awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
After listening to most of the Popovich interview, I am amazed he said nothing of consequence. Just coach speak.

"working really hard"
"continuing to improve"
"compete"
"watch film"
"ask great questions"
"above the line"
"fun to work with"

The coaches do a good job of just talking about kids getting reps and getting ready to play. Talk them up and give nothing away.

The one thing they talk about is this new data system. Maybe the coaches can use this to the teams advantage. The ability to know player velocity is pretty cool.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Jeff “um” popovich lol

Coach Um

Sorry i cant get three um minutes into this um presser um ok um. I am out

From here on out. Its Coach Um. Lol

After listening to most of the Popovich interview, I am amazed he said nothing of consequence. Just coach speak.

"working really hard"
"continuing to improve"
"compete"
"watch film"
"ask great questions"
"above the line"
"fun to work with"

The coaches do a good job of just talking about kids getting reps and getting ready to play. Talk them up and give nothing away.

The one thing they talk about is this new data system. Maybe the coaches can use this to the teams advantage. The ability to know player velocity is pretty cool.

What you rather have? A couple minutes of hype and smoke or "He's doing ok; we'll see?"

NOTE: Both throwing a kid under the bus and undermining competition by saying who're outperforming their room are off the table.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
While all that's true I'm surprised to not really hear a single negative about anyone. It doesn't really mean anything, but it's hard for most people to talk about their colleagues without spontaneously offering criticism. Either that suggests to me the guys are way ahead of expectations, the coaches are above board in their approach to building guys up, or both.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

The methods by which Martin has sought to be his best are many. He attacked summer workouts, driven, in his words, “100 percent” by his desire to honor Adams. He improved his diet and, he said, “stopped eating fast food and all the nasty things defensive tackles love,” which has helped him shed fat. He has been an eager pupil to defensive-line coach Larry Knight. He has sought to be a team leader.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ch-wednesday-practice/qKsC7ZETOegtpaNukVjdsM/

Sounds like it's out of necessity, but this is a move I wanted to see for a LONG time now:

Safety Tariq Carpenter took some snaps at linebacker in 11-on-11 work. Juanyeh Thomas and Christian Campbell were behind him at safety. The linebacker group was a little thinned as Charlie Thomas is out with an injury. The safety group is the deepest on the defense, and this could be a way for more players at that position to get on the field. It is another example of coach Geoff Collins’ plan to train players at different positions and gain versatility.

That dude can bring some lumber, and his speed and ability to cover ground is going to make him a really good fit for modern spread offenses.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What you rather have? A couple minutes of hype and smoke or "He's doing ok; we'll see?"

NOTE: Both throwing a kid under the bus and undermining competition by saying who're outperforming their room are off the table.

I don't um, mind um, coach speak, um, just um, stop with the ums; once you notice it, its hard um to even pay attention to um his words

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck

Thanks, that actually gives information.

"Coach speak" drives me crazy. I understand it is part of the job. Like politicians, they avoid giving answers to question.

It is interesting to me that all the position coaches are using the same "coach speak" during their interviews. I wonder if they practice?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, that actually gives information.

"Coach speak" drives me crazy. I understand it is part of the job. Like politicians, they avoid giving answers to question.

It is interesting to me that all the position coaches are using the same "coach speak" during their interviews. I wonder if they practice?

CGC has turned GT into a branding machine. Part of that is coaches driving certain themes, and answering certain questions with the same message. If anything, GT football is focusing and becoming more corporate in the marketing and branding sense. That's a good thing.

I REALLY like how positive coaches are. As we all know, criticism even if it's constructive, is taken differently by everyone. Everyone likes positivity...(except @Animal02 ...kidding buddy :)), and in this day and age where it's so PC, I think it creates a differentiator from other staffs. If you watch how our coaches give feedback to players compared to other staffs, it's night and day.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If you want to see negative coaching just watch Last Chance U on Netflix. It was eye-opening to me. Total toxic environment for those kids. Our coaches are creating an environment where kids want to be.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If you want to see negative coaching just watch Last Chance U on Netflix. It was eye-opening to me. Total toxic environment for those kids. Our coaches are creating an environment where kids want to be.

This. Coaches need to be more mothers in aprons not toxic fathers with tools and beer.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think all of this preseason positivity is just football and human nature colliding. Right now everyone is undefeated, everyone has worked hard during the off season to improve their strength, speed and hone their position skills, everyone has a lot of new talent being infused into the team and in general everyone is working hard to make this the best season possible for the team. Enjoy it! For the wolf is at the door. There will be plenty of opportunity for anger and negativity if we don't do well. Another element of human nature. Each year I have hopes and dreams of having that special season. Of going undefeated, winning the Conference Championship and even the National Championship. You would think after so many years of experience and so few seasons going as well as hoped, that I would be more of a negative type in anticipation of almost certain let down, but yet, here I am looking forward to another season with great optimism. It makes life more enjoyable and as the sands run out of the hour glass, I am thankful my old mind continues to look for the best.

Go Jackets!

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Yeah he is a nasty, foul mouthed piece of trash and I curse a lot but that dude has me beat by miles.