Fall Camp Post Practice

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
These interviews are normally posted from the GT Athletics Youtube page, so I wouldn't think it would be that hard for someone to add subtitles for the questions that are asked.

Pro-tip: GT athletics page has the press conferences, true, but the JacketsOnline channel has the same videos but better audio (by virtue of Kelly’s mic being among the press). I usually wait for the videos to post there before checking them out because it’s really annoying listening to answers for unknown questions.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Pro-tip: GT athletics page has the press conferences, true, but the JacketsOnline channel has the same videos but better audio (by virtue of Kelly’s mic being among the press). I usually wait for the videos to post there before checking them out because it’s really annoying listening to answers for unknown questions.
He also uploads all his pressers on YouTube

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
This position group I am most interested in seeing the two deep.

I agree. Like Coach Collins says, “Competition is King.” So it will be interesting to see who will earn the top two running back spots for the opening-day game against Clemson.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So far GC has managed the press very well. Lots of positive vibes. The Atlanta press can be brutal when you lose and they start dissecting it, ie play calling gaffs, time management, interaction with players, etc. So far so good and I do think GC will handle the press very well this year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
So far GC has managed the press very well. Lots of positive vibes. The Atlanta press can be brutal when you lose and they start dissecting it, ie play calling gaffs, time management, interaction with players, etc. So far so good and I do think GC will handle the press very well this year.

I honestly think that Paul Johnson’s testy/adversarial relationship with the local press is going to work in Geoff Collins’ favor at least for the first couple years. Since he’s making such a big & public effort to embrace the media and the city in general, they are likely going to be bending over backwards to show us some love and put all the blame for the bad relationship on the guy who isn’t here now to defend himself. If it ends up with us getting better press coverage, I’m not gonna complain.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly think that Paul Johnson’s testy/adversarial relationship with the local press is going to work in Geoff Collins’ favor at least for the first couple years. Since he’s making such a big & public effort to embrace the media and the city in general, they are likely going to be bending over backwards to show us some love and put all the blame for the bad relationship on the guy who isn’t here now to defend himself. If it ends up with us getting better press coverage, I’m not gonna complain.
Collins might avoid becoming the target himself, but the local media will find the angles to take shots at our program to appease the mouth breathers.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Collins might avoid becoming the target himself, but the local media will find the angles to take shots at our program to appease the mouth breathers.

Not if we beat the mouth breeders at a % we should.

Wonder what people think about him predicting we would beat uconn and win the N.C.?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I notice that the DB's and WR's are getting a lot of attaboys in the twitter awards the staff post daily but not so much the Offensive linemen, Defensive linemen and Quarterbacks. That leads me to believe that we have some pretty good, competitive talent at the smaller skilled positions but not so much among the big boys. That is a bad spot to be in. I am puzzled that we are not getting more positive feedback out of the offensive line. Guys like Kenny Cooper and Quinney who have been around and played decent. It looks like we are trying to figure out where to play J. Lee when not to long ago he was a pretty decent starter at center and then tackle on the O line. A lot of guys that have flashed some talent like, Austin Smith, Charlie Clark and Connor Hanson just don't appear to be able to crack the starting lineup. I hope Brent Key is as good a coach as we think, if not our offense is going to be very pedestrian. The quarterbacks seem to be kind of a pick one situation. I don't see a lot of separation there and that usually means mediocrity.

The Defensive line does not get much mention at all. The defensive ends are continually characterized as undersized and inexperienced and the defensive tackles don't get much mention at all. I hope Collins has a way to light a fire under this group or we will be watching the scoreboard flash all night for the bad guys. I know it is still early, but just based on the bits and pieces I am picking up on, I am very worried about our ability to hold up on the line of scrimmage, both sides of the ball.

Go Jackets!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The technique on OL is so different it's hard to translate prior experience with expectations on this team. Certainly athleticism and football experience overall mean something, but we are looking for a different thing out of the OL than CPJ did.

On the DL it would be nice to hear more, especially on the interior. I think all of its recognize the dearth of experience and limitations in size. On the plus side there is more depth/potential in the athletes there than we've had recently.

Some of me wonders if we are slow playing these areas a bit to motivate the guys and catch other teams off guard, but I don't really think that's likely. Unfortunately, there's no substitute for game experience. The learning curve is really going to accelerate once the season starts.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I notice that the DB's and WR's are getting a lot of attaboys in the twitter awards the staff post daily but not so much the Offensive linemen, Defensive linemen and Quarterbacks. That leads me to believe that we have some pretty good, competitive talent at the smaller skilled positions but not so much among the big boys. That is a bad spot to be in. I am puzzled that we are not getting more positive feedback out of the offensive line. Guys like Kenny Cooper and Quinney who have been around and played decent. It looks like we are trying to figure out where to play J. Lee when not to long ago he was a pretty decent starter at center and then tackle on the O line. A lot of guys that have flashed some talent like, Austin Smith, Charlie Clark and Connor Hanson just don't appear to be able to crack the starting lineup. I hope Brent Key is as good a coach as we think, if not our offense is going to be very pedestrian. The quarterbacks seem to be kind of a pick one situation. I don't see a lot of separation there and that usually means mediocrity.

The Defensive line does not get much mention at all. The defensive ends are continually characterized as undersized and inexperienced and the defensive tackles don't get much mention at all. I hope Collins has a way to light a fire under this group or we will be watching the scoreboard flash all night for the bad guys. I know it is still early, but just based on the bits and pieces I am picking up on, I am very worried about our ability to hold up on the line of scrimmage, both sides of the ball.

Go Jackets!

Agree. So far the only positives I see in the line play is we have more and better bodies and the coaches seem inclined to rotate more players. This could at least mean more wide open effort since there should not be a "pacing" in the effort.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't pay enough attention to other programs at a detail level to say how common everything he's doing really is, but I doubt many programs are really managing all of these things the way he is.

Most FBS HCs are process oriented. CPJ was incredibly process oriented as well. The difference is in how the individual process the HCs put into place. What separates successful HC from also rans is how well they leverage available resources to translate their process into on the field success. This is where I see the value in CGC. While CPJ could "make more with less," CGC is "I'll get more to do more by building and generating brand and buzz." When HCs get the resources to hire quality assistants and proven recruiters, you can build on field success. CGC convinced TStan he had to hire more than just a HC and we are seeing the results already. CGC is starting out on the right foot, and I am excited to see where we will be in a few more years.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Jerry, I think the only OL shoutout I’ve seen this fall on social media was for William Lay