Extension Agreement

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
@Techster

I was told he wanted more help in the recruiting office...we are up to 3 but we are still under staffed compared to others.

Was also told that he wants this to be his (likely) last contract and that he wants to win it all...when he met with MBob I was told that he was going to ask for what he felt he needed to win it all...and recruiting front and staff support were two of the main things...my source said the $$$ money donors were on CPJs side.

Said he feels CPJ has 5-7 years left max.

As usual Eric gives us the details that we all crave! Thanks.
OBTW - this is absolutely the right thing to do for Tech and CPJ!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
IF, big IF since 5-7 years down the road Bobinski may not even be AD, and they want to stay with an option guy...really who better to do it than stay in-house and promote Bryan Cook? He will have apprenticed under CPJ, and he will have worked out the kinks of recruiting and coaching at GT.

Of course, that assumes no one is coming after Bryan Cook until then. I think other programs will come calling soon...you can't have a successful program without losing valuable people. (See Bohanon, Monken)
However, Cook has never been a head coach and run a program, right? He is still a bit young. If they stayed in house they could promote Roof and then have Cook made OC and maybe Pelton as DC (or some other defensive coach if any deserve a shot at that position).

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
@Techster

I was told he wanted more help in the recruiting office...we are up to 3 but we are still under staffed compared to others.

Was also told that he wants this to be his (likely) last contract and that he wants to win it all...when he met with MBob I was told that he was going to ask for what he felt he needed to win it all...and recruiting front and staff support were two of the main things...my source said the $$$ money donors were on CPJs side.

Said he feels CPJ has 5-7 years left max.

I wish I could do more than simply "like" this post. Let's give the guy a real shot and see what he can do. Go Jackets!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ wants to 5-7 years, and Roof's D works-out as it seems like it is, then a promotion of Roof to HC/DC and Bryan Cook to OC would seem fairly logical.

Edit: @Bruce Wayne beat me to it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
However, Cook has never been a head coach and run a program, right? He is still a bit young. If they stayed in house they could promote Roof and then have Cook made OC and maybe Pelton as DC (or some other defensive coach if any deserve a shot at that position).

I think by that time it wouldn't matter. Most assistants at major programs do a lot of the things the HC does, plus Cook is very polished. He'll be ready.

BTW, I promise you GT is still kicking themselves for not promoting within when Ross left because neither O'Leary or Friedgen "has never been a head coach and run a program." Bill Lewis was a HC and ran a program...didn't serve him too well at GT...

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
I would designate the highest bonus to beating Georgia. If we're beating them recruiting is better, we get more respect from media, it improves fan attendance, and then it would improve our chance for ACC and National championships. Beating UGA just makes everything in life better. It's a lever to success!

Matt E

GT Athlete
If we win a lot over the next 5-7 years then Tech will be a very attractive destination for any head coaching candidate outside the major 10-15 programs. Also don't forget by then you'll have Roof, as well as Brent Key and George Godsey that may have head coaching experience.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought abou Cook as well, but the experience at HC was what held me back, plus an undying love for Coach Monken.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
I would designate the highest bonus to beating Georgia. If we're beating them recruiting is better, we get more respect from media, it improves fan attendance, and then it would improve our chance for ACC and National championships. Beating UGA just makes everything in life better. It's a lever to success!
I do not like the idea of incentives for beating a particular team...to many adverse things that could happen

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
I do not like the idea of incentives for beating a particular team...to many adverse things that could happen

Agree, beating Georgia may seem like the key lever of success now but what if Georgia has a couple of years at the bottom of the SEC. In that case beating them will feel emotionally good but would not have the same impact on media respect, fan attendance, championships, etc as when they are a ranked team.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree, beating Georgia may seem like the key lever of success now but what if Georgia has a couple of years at the bottom of the SEC. In that case beating them will feel emotionally good but would not have the same impact on media respect, fan attendance, championships, etc as when they are a ranked team.

I'm not at the point that I am ready to qualify wins over UGA yet. Let's get a few under our belt before we do that.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
The two sides have been working on a extension all week, not sure when things will be announced.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
The two sides have been working on a extension all week, not sure when things will be announced.
If we are sitting here on the internet talking about it...can't be too much longer. Loose lips. Plus, only one person can keep a secret...when another is involved...people talk.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
If we are sitting here on the internet talking about it...can't be too much longer. Loose lips. Plus, only one person can keep a secret...when another is involved...people talk.

We know a deal is done according to @thwgjacket but when it is "final" and announced are two different things.

I originally heard it would be in December.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel if the College playoffs change and expand to 8 or expand by guaranteeing conference champs a spot in the next 5 to 8 years, CPJ may stick around. He really is the ultimate competitor. Either way, this is great news and am glad to see him taking the program in the right direction that many of us knew he had the potential to.