Expectations?

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
We have to remember when we talk about "expectations", we are talking about 18-22 year old college student athletes. I've been trying to "guess" all summer on where I think we can land on game wins. We could win them all, we could lose them all, anything is possible. With that being said, I EXPECT that we win every game; I hope our players and coaches expect the same things.

Just to throw this out... what if we DO beat Clemson?! Hey, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth! I love what Curry said on the GT Podcast... GT is planning on shocking the world against Clemson! That leads me to believe that our team does expect to win every game.

Go Jackets!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We have to remember when we talk about "expectations", we are talking about 18-22 year old college student athletes. I've been trying to "guess" all summer on where I think we can land on game wins. We could win them all, we could lose them all, anything is possible. With that being said, I EXPECT that we win every game; I hope our players and coaches expect the same things.

Just to throw this out... what if we DO beat Clemson?! Hey, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth! I love what Curry said on the GT Podcast... GT is planning on shocking the world against Clemson! That leads me to believe that our team does expect to win every game.

Go Jackets!

As we should. If you don't, why show up? To learn? You practice to learn. You play to win.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
With that being said, I EXPECT that we win every game; I hope our players and coaches expect the same things.

That's hope, or belief. Not expectation. I would think every player on every team would believe they can win every game. Expectations should be more than just ra ra coach speak. If you expect to win every game then that means going 10-2 would be not meeting expectations. Expectation should have some basis in reality. Not just what you want to happen.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can’t wait for football. I expect to enjoy some beers while I watch games, spend some quality time with my family, and support my team. It might be good. It might be bad. But unless we go full Bill Lewis again, we’ll be ok. With this staff I don’t see that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I expect to see us surprise a lot of people. I think Mack Brown is a mistake for UNC and this will be one of many rough years. Also, Manny Diaz will flop this year, his attitude and his being fake will hinder him in his first year. So yes we beat UNC, Miami, USF, Temple, and Citadel. The rest is a crap shoot, I see no way we win less than 6, that is our floor.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It took me a couple of re-reads to figure out what you fixed....LOL I agree; it's not just what I think; it's fact.

I mean it probably killed all offensive innovation too. he really was trying to modernize the system from 2011-2013 but you can't do that if you are going to have to keep all the reasons you were using the system in teh first place. I honeslty hop CGC gets all the buy in he can. I don't want that crap being a limiter agian.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
My expectations are that we will win 4 out of our first 5 games, lose 3 of our next four, and win one out of our last three. That's 6-6
We will no doubt get beaten badly by Clemson. But we will improve in week two and " upset" USF. Citadel , Temple and UNC at home are wins, IMO. On the road at UM and Duke will be losses- Duke may be UGLY.
After our bye , we regroup and upset Pitt, but lose to UVA. VT is a win , but NCSU is a close loss. UGA will be ugly.
That's a respectable first year. Could it be a lot worse ? Sure ! But I think we will be better than many are predicting.
We will show that Collins has the team moving in the right direction , players have bought in and recruiting will continue to trend upward.
Collins will play more players than CPJ to build depth at all positions , especially QB - where there is some good talent.
I think players will play like their " hair is on fire", make some mistakes, but also make some great plays. I am PUMPED !!

LibertyTurns

Banned
My expectations are that we will win 4 out of our first 5 games, lose 3 of our next four, and win one out of our last three. That's 6-6
We will no doubt get beaten badly by Clemson. But we will improve in week two and " upset" USF. Citadel , Temple and UNC at home are wins, IMO. On the road at UM and Duke will be losses- Duke may be UGLY.
After our bye , we regroup and upset Pitt, but lose to UVA. VT is a win , but NCSU is a close loss. UGA will be ugly.
That's a respectable first year. Could it be a lot worse ? Sure ! But I think we will be better than many are predicting.
We will show that Collins has the team moving in the right direction , players have bought in and recruiting will continue to trend upward.
Collins will play more players than CPJ to build depth at all positions , especially QB - where there is some good talent.
I think players will play like their " hair is on fire", make some mistakes, but also make some great plays. I am PUMPED !!
I think about the same although USF plus Dook is either going to break 1-1 or 2-0. I’m betting it’s 2-0 because Dook is losing an NFL QB. If we’re 5-1 after 6, we’ll win 8 games.

The early part of CGC’s tenure is going to be written by game 6. End up 5-1, well Katie bar the door because the sit & waiters will start watching again. We’ll get some recruiting lift from that. 4-2, they’re still be a wait & see attitude prevailing but generally positive. 3-3’s going to generate the sideways stares and a lot of chatting about what we got, but a “give him some time” theory prevailing most likely unless there’s some beat downs by a weak sister or two. 2-4’s going to have people grumbling & you all can say what you want but people will tune GT out by game 6 and I’m not sure CGC’s tenure is recoverable. 1-5 or 0-6, we hired the wrong guy. He’s done. He’ll get 4 years, maybe 5 and if we don’t have some massive jump in performance over consecutive years he’ll have lost the fanbase & it will be Chan all over again.

herb

Helluva Engineer

A reasonable look, I think for the most part. I have a hard time, though, thinking Duke may be ugly. They lost their quarterback and most of their receivers. I think that is a win, not an ugly loss

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
We all know the coach there left the year before UCF and Houston started doing well. That guy looked good because of a good couple players and poor AAC performance. AAC competition is a little stiffer now.
How did Temple do before the turnaround coach got there and how did they do with Collins. Imo, you are really stretching to discount the 15-10 record.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
How did Temple do before the turnaround coach got there and how did they do with Collins. Imo, you are really stretching to discount the 15-10 record.
Matt rhule also had a 2-10 season with temple and a 6-6. And so far with Baylor he is 1-11 and 7-6. He doesn't turn things around, he capitalized off a good class and left. I bet he leaves Baylor within 2 more years as well.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
USF is at home.

USF and Temple are about equal in my mind. If we struggle against USF, we'll have a real fight against Temple.

If we cannot bear The Citadel, well, it will be a very long season.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
USF is at home.

USF and Temple are about equal in my mind. If we struggle against USF, we'll have a real fight against Temple.

If we cannot beat The Citadel,
well, it will be a very long season.

Just a reminder -- The Citadel will enter the season as a Top-25 FCS team, and remember how they were the talk of the nation for a few hours last fall due to the following score at halftime: Alabama 10, The Citadel 10. (Of course, 'Bama woke up and blew 'em out in the second half.) BTW, Citadel's offense is -- heavily triple option (finished 9th in team rushing in the FCS last year), with a twist that they'll occasionally operate out of a T-bone formation, with halfbacks in line with the fullback. No slotbacks. T formation, but with WRs instead of TEs.