Expectations?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion, but with Johnson we won off of an offensive scheme more than players and with cgc we will win more off players than schemes.

I think CPJ’s scheme allowed us to be competitive against most teams, even with smaller players. Under CGC’s scheme, that won’t be a planning headache like the TO, I think we will have to be bigger, faster, and stronger than CPJ’s teams in order to compete.

I’m hopeful we can squeeze six wins out this season. Prior to the spring game, I was thinking 2-4 wins but I was pleasantly surprised to see a team that was more prepared than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stansbury is rather new... he did get rid of johnson. Trust me I think there is more to the story than Johnson was tired of football or the dumbest statement I've heard "he knew this team wouldn't be good". Stansbury felt the heat from donors and from fans alike. He probably had a nice chitchat and convinced Johnson it's best to leave before it go worse. He made a move to bring in a guy to save the program from falling permanently to the ranks of wake forest, duke, and Syracuse.

I firmly believe by year 5-8 we are every bit of a factory school and in a playoff or have been in a couple.
If that is true, then why, according to reports, was TStan surprised and disappointed, at least in the timing, at CPJ's announcement?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking for improvement.

I think we are severely undervaluing the amount of effort these kids are putting in for Collins that they didn't put in for Johnson. Say every player is at 100% effort right now, I'd dare to say they were at max 70-75% under johnson.

Collins is finding ways to make these kids enjoy their experience of learning and getting stronger.

It should be alarming that the amount of guys who can rep 225 on the bench has gone up so significantly. To me that screams Johnson was doing a disservice to the team.

Do I think we beat Clemson? No. Do I think we can keep it within 21? Without a doubt in my mind.

Do I think this team can win 6-7 games? Again, without a doubt in my mind.

I view their progress in 6 months under Collins is more than any player developed under Johnson. At least physically. Academically is one thing, but we are talking football. All of a sudden we went from looking like a bunch of string beans to a true D1 factory program. Our guys actually look bigger now. Across the board rather than the occasional dude. Our whole team is bulked up.

Sorry to rant. But man... I'm tired of hearing of rebuilding. I truly believe this is a plus. Our players are actually playing to their skill sets. No one ran the TO in high school. Switching to a modified offense won't be that difficult for skill. Oline is the only issue I see. But Brent Key as a coach automatically makes these players better.

I'll even say I think the oline finishes top 5 in the conference

Interesting observations. I will say that we did not beat UGA three times, FSU a couple of times, Miami a couple of times, ranked and unbeaten Virginia Tech and Clemson without players giving more than 75%. My personal expectations are to win 5 or so but mostly I fully expect the team that plays UGA at the end of the season to look far better than the one that plays Clemson. Incremental improvement over the course of the year from week to week is what I am looking for in all three phases of the game. I watched the 2007 Tech vs Notre Dame game on you tube last night. What stood out was the tackling. Notre Dame backs and receivers went down in a hurry, pressure on the quarterback was constant and the effort on defense was tremendous. Phillip Wheeler, Gary Guyton, Michael Johnson, Adam Oliver, Word-Daniels, DJ Jones, and the rest of those guys really put on a zone blitz clinic. I want to see more of that and less of what we have seen lately the soft zones and easily picked up blitzes.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm looking for improvement.

I think we are severely undervaluing the amount of effort these kids are putting in for Collins that they didn't put in for Johnson. Say every player is at 100% effort right now, I'd dare to say they were at max 70-75% under johnson.

I think what most people who are arguing about this quote are failing to realize is that it is possible that the players were giving 100% of what they knew how to to Paul Johnson and now they're giving 100% to Collins. The difference is 100% of what they knew how to give prior to Collins could very well be less than what it is now

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you have any certain expectations, going into the new season? I really can't say what to and what not to expect. My guess is, we'll struggle. My guess is, the defense will be better. My guess is, the offense will struggle. I can guess....But, not really confident enough to lay down an expectation.

I would guess that this will be a 3-4 win season. But, not sure if I would say I would expect that.

Does anyone have any certain expectations or criteria that they are looking for, this season?

"Expectations" aren't really realistic since we have exactly no data points to go by with the new staff and system.

I had been saying I am "prepared" for a 4 win season, but re-examining the schedule I'm now bumping that to preparing for 5 wins. This is not a dig on the program either, I believe with experience and another couple years recruiting to the new system there will be improvement.

note: I've been purely a lurker for years but decided I'd like to participate here, it's a quality board. Some will know me from other sites over the past 20+ years. Thanks for having me.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Expectation? When we play Miami in October, we need to have 4-5 wins or the 3 win prediction might be a reality. Looking at our schedule, I think we will be underdaogs in our last six games.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think what most people who are arguing about this quote are failing to realize is that it is possible that the players were giving 100% of what they knew how to to Paul Johnson and now they're giving 100% to Collins. The difference is 100% of what they knew how to give prior to Collins could very well be less than what it is now

10000% this.

Johnsons 100% is equal to about 60% of what collins and crew will get out of these young men.

Collins will unlock ALL their potential where Johnson held guys back

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah....nope. Always recruited about the same, with obvious outlying classes.

Now, some of the kids we brought in on offense (especially the AB) weren't heavily recruited because they didn't fit most offenses, but did fit ours. But that's one position. Oh yeah, and we never recruited highly regarded tight ends for some reason. That being said, there were a lot of high end recruits who were not interested in us, but we did recruit them (without much success on offense).
Well … actually we went after highly rated TEs almost every year. We wanted them to play OT or, sometimes, DL. The last few we got that I remember are Klock, who was a terrific OL, Harrison Jump, and Luke Johns. But we did succeed with others, if I remember right. I don't have time to check the recruiting archives.

LibertyTurns

Banned
What’s held the program back is a lot of comments like this. It’s just insane to think that Paul Johnson, one of the best college coaches, told his players to half *** their way thru a season now CGC’s waltzing in here & proclaims all of you 75% half assers hit the road.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well … actually we went after highly rated TEs almost every year. We wanted them to play OT or, sometimes, DL. The last few we got that I remember are Klock, who was a terrific OL, Harrison Jump, and Luke Johns. But we did succeed with others, if I remember right. I don't have time to check the recruiting archives.
I agree we recruited TE's to play OL. But they were not "highly rated" tight ends. They were good TE's who were projecting to be OL at the next level, like we were using them.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
What’s held the program back is a lot of comments like this. It’s just insane to think that Paul Johnson, one of the best college coaches, told his players to half *** their way thru a season now CGC’s waltzing in here & proclaims all of you 75% half assers hit the road.
This is being misinterpreted on so many levels. Again, I don't think we are making a dig on CPJ. There was a different staff entirely. Talk S&C for example, we all know that coach Lew will do better. OL, Key will be better. All of these being improved on will lead to a better team. Do you believe our OL was as best they could be last year or do you think a better OL coach could teach them to be better? Same for conditioning, receivers, defensive backs and DL, coordinators. I think part of CPJ problem was not being able to surround himself with the best team. And with better position and group coaches, your 100% will equal more than 100% with improper coaching.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I'll defer to the pros with skin in the game for their "expectations". I just checked and the consensus over/under on total wins for Tech this year is 4 or 4.5 games. For example, Fanduel has it at 4, with the over at +115 and the under at -135. SI's article on Best Bets in the ACC takes the under, even at -135 odds. Their "best bet" is that Tech wins 4 games or less. They do say the future is bright with Collins though, but this year will be growing pains.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Not what I'm saying.

I'm saying Johnson is 3/4ths the total program coach that Collins is. Johnson was about Xs and Os. Worried about offense. He didn't care about developing an entire program. Building a factory. He held us back. He did a lot for us scheme wise, and graduated a lot of kids. But in the grand scheme if he was truly successful we would of been consistently been a top 25 team.

I fully believe Collins won't only keep us in the top 25, but make us into a top 5 program in the country. How people viewed Alabama and now Clemson is how they will view us.

If you don't want that I suggest hopping off the bandwagon. We want to WIN. We want CHAMPIONSHIPS. I'm not happy until we get 6 more championships. Set your goals high and bust our butts.

New ERA girl scouts! Time to give money and let Collins build a super team.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
10000% this.

Johnsons 100% is equal to about 60% of what collins and crew will get out of these young men.

Sheesh---15-10 at Temple while keeping a lot of the system he inherited, says Hi.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
? He inherited a "team" from a coach who had just turned around the program.
I'm saying he had TEMPLE as a team. They are a crap program across the board. Their best success is still being in the AAC. Let's see how Collins does with a real program.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm saying he had TEMPLE as a team. They are a crap program across the board. Their best success is still being in the AAC. Let's see how Collins does with a real program.
Was Temple playing same level of competition as themselves? How can we have a "real" program if our HC the past decade has produced 60% out of the players that CGC could have? Collins himself would not appreciate your posit. Johnson wouldn't give a rats arse and rightfully so.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
? He inherited a "team" from a coach who had just turned around the program.
We all know the coach there left the year before UCF and Houston started doing well. That guy looked good because of a good couple players and poor AAC performance. AAC competition is a little stiffer now.

Not what I'm saying.

I'm saying Johnson is 3/4ths the total program coach that Collins is. Johnson was about Xs and Os. Worried about offense. He didn't care about developing an entire program. Building a factory. He held us back. He did a lot for us scheme wise, and graduated a lot of kids. But in the grand scheme if he was truly successful we would of been consistently been a top 25 team.

I fully believe Collins won't only keep us in the top 25, but make us into a top 5 program in the country. How people viewed Alabama and now Clemson is how they will view us.

If you don't want that I suggest hopping off the bandwagon. We want to WIN. We want CHAMPIONSHIPS. I'm not happy until we get 6 more championships. Set your goals high and bust our butts.

New ERA girl scouts! Time to give money and let Collins build a super team.
I think CPJ was SEVERELY limited in what he could do by previous AD's who didn't provide the resources.