Expectations?

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Miami is the model for us to take advantage of location. Just like them we are trying to brand ourselves as the best option for Atlanta football players. That is just one part of the equation, which Miami has demonstrated. Even with the better recruits they haven’t had coaches that could turn that into wins. It will be interesting to see if Diaz can do better than the last three coaches.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
At Temple how did recruiting rank - Rhule / Collins?

Son / daughter law teach at Baylor. The Grobe hire was alwsys an integrity time out to do a real search . Rhule came in and tried to play conservative big boy football but didn't have the horses. To his credit he adapted , got the right qb, and has recruited well. He is well liked even though they are just competitive on field. Did well against Texas , but got hammered by ranked teams. Baylor fans thinks he is doing good job and are satified w slow rebuild. The first year brought back memories of the decade where they only beat power 5 teams.

I looked into this. Rhule was a better recruiter but also had a larger sample size. There was only one real year of CGC recruiting at Temple, so we can't really make a solid determination either way, but Rhule definitely raised the recruiting standards at Temple. He average 2.5 stars per recruit and generally had at least one 4* recruit in each of his three classes. CGC wasn't quite as good, but it could be argued that his connections weren't ideal for recruiting Temple. Also, note that where the rank is astericked, that Temple did not make the ranking that year, so I assigned them the next available slot.

upload_2019-7-30_9-34-39.png

Not sure this data proves/disproves anything considering the small sample size for CGC at Temple.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I write a post like this seemingly every year. So if you recognize it and don't want to hear it again, I will forgive you if you click to the next post. For me personally, I don't see the value in speculating about the number of total wins in a season before it starts and then adjusting expectations up and down every week based on results. Pondering final records before things begin seems fruitless. What it would take to satisfy you this week will most likely change a month from now. I am generally aware of who has left our program (both players and coaches) but admittedly ignorant as to who is joining us, who is making huge gains in the off season, who has suffered setbacks, how the new playbook is being mastered, or what the true chemistry of the total group has become. In addition to all that ignorance, I have even less of an idea what is going on within opponents programs. There is a winner and a loser in every contest and everybody wants to win. One of the great things about competition is that you have to play the games and the outcome is never certain. Having said all these things, my "expectations", I suppose, are different from a lot of people.

I expect to see evidence that CGC's message has reached the hearts, minds, and souls of every kid on the roster and we play as one, leaving absolutely everything we have to give out there on the field.

I expect to see us play aggressively to win, putting us in position to win a game every time we step on the gridiron.

I expect to see us FINISH more consistently than we have in the recent past.

I expect to improve, perhaps not in a linear fashion, every week as the schedule moves past, giving the entirety of Yellow Jacket nation the impression we are building something.

Every week, I will expect to bring home a W, somehow someway, regardless of what out record is at that point.

When the season is over I will reflect and decide how I feel, knowing that it will never be satisfaction.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I write a post like this seemingly every year. So if you recognize it and don't want to hear it again, I will forgive you if you click to the next post. For me personally, I don't see the value in speculating about the number of total wins in a season before it starts and then adjusting expectations up and down every week based on results. Pondering final records before things begin seems fruitless. What it would take to satisfy you this week will most likely change a month from now. I am generally aware of who has left our program (both players and coaches) but admittedly ignorant as to who is joining us, who is making huge gains in the off season, who has suffered setbacks, how the new playbook is being mastered, or what the true chemistry of the total group has become. In addition to all that ignorance, I have even less of an idea what is going on within opponents programs. There is a winner and a loser in every contest and everybody wants to win. One of the great things about competition is that you have to play the games and the outcome is never certain. Having said all these things, my "expectations", I suppose, are different from a lot of people.

I expect to see evidence that CGC's message has reached the hearts, minds, and souls of every kid on the roster and we play as one leaving absolutely everything we have to give out there on the field.

I expect to see us play aggressively to win, putting us in position to win a game every time we step on the gridiron.

I expect to see us FINISH more consistently than we have in the recent past.

I expect to improve, perhaps not in a linear fashion, every week as the schedule moves past, giving the entirety of Yellow Jacket nation the impression we are building something.

Every week, I will expect to bring home a W, somehow someway, regardless of what out record is at that point.

When the season is over I will reflect and decide how I feel, knowing that it will never be satisfaction.

This.

Rather than focus on W-L, I agree in expecting high-energy effort for the whole game.

My quantitative expectations (you may disagree) are for improved D efficiency. I expect fewer than 1.8 ppd allowed against power 5 competition. I also expect respectable O efficiency, more than 2 ppd v pwr 5.