Expectations for the 2021 season

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Kicking game will be much improved. Couldn't have been any worse. Punting will not be as good (duh).

Defense may be a little better depending on few injuries to the interior guys. LB could be better but I suspect no worse. Experience at DB so at least as good and hopefully better. I am still not sold on Thacker. Too inexperienced IMO.
Offense should be much better depending on an improved line and QB making correct reads and accurate throws. He is the key to a good season with a couple of upsets. It will depend on execution and very few turnovers plus no stupid penalties. We will have to score a lot of points to have a chance. Too many 3 and outs in the past.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

Tech at 77
Meh... I don't really pay much attention to these things. It is just a reflection of the season that you already had. If GT wins more this season they will be ranked higher going into the next season. We just gotta win baby!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I am still not sold on Thacker. Too inexperienced IMO.
Agree he hasn't proved himself as a DC. Good thing is Collins has built and coordinated effective defenses at Miss At and Florida.

IMO it's been all about the DL. We haven't had the horses (both depth and ability to win 1 on 1 battles) and have had injuries, and have been very young.

We'll be in better shape this year, but IMO still a lot of building on both lines. Filling holes with transfers right now.

I see us going as far as the lines an take us.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
After the past two seasons I have no expectations for the first time in a long time. My expectation for last year was like what CGC predicted at 6-6 and a bowl game. The Covid season was unusual and I will just let that fade away in memory. Although I have yet to erase the humiliation of attending the Clemson game.

My hope is for a bowl. And that nothing goes south and we will be allowed to tailgate this year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I always chuckle at these threads and the linked media narratives.

There is not a more fruitless endeavor than trying to predict the college football fortunes of teams the upcoming season. Everyone has been so often wrong, and so seldom correct, that it always makes me laugh at how much time and energy people invest in all of this.

Then I remind myself this is all just for fun and entertainment...so, have at it, guys and gals!

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I always chuckle at these threads and the linked media narratives.

There is not a more fruitless endeavor than trying to predict the college football fortunes of teams the upcoming season. Everyone has been so often wrong, and so seldom correct, that it always makes me laugh at how much time and energy people invest in all of this.

Then I remind myself this is all just for fun and entertainment...so, have at it, guys and gals!
I mean honestly unless it’s someone who really takes a deep dive (and I’m guessing CBS Sports doesn’t) what else do they have to go on than last year. Based on that, it’s a reasonable prediction. Even those who take a deep dive are guessing. We’re all hoping for better but to be honest it’s hope and banking on personnel who haven’t played a down contributing and people who have making significant improvements.

I still stand by my belief that this year is an inflection point. Either we trend up from here or we have a problem. And yes, Ws and L’s are the #1 barometer…. Don’t have to win 7, but better win more than 3-4..

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
If our recruiting, CBG’s philosophy, and our coaching are truly better, we should see a significant trend in the right direction. If we do not see that trend begin this year, the program is not moving in the right direction and staff modification should start.
I personally think we are making progress.

GT_EE78

Banned
If our recruiting, CBG’s philosophy, and our coaching are truly better, we should see a significant trend in the right direction. If we do not see that trend begin this year, the program is not moving in the right direction and staff modification should start.
I personally think we are making progress.
We're certainly making progress in recruiting but everyone knows that you can't run a used car lot with only salesmen standing around at the door.
This year will tell us whether or not CGC has the staff- diagnostic technicians,mechanics,finance guys and accountants to make the business successful.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Roughing the Passer 2021 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Football Preview

Bet on Sims improvement, but not the D. Prediction 4-8
Lol - that was the least thorough pre season prediction I've ever seen.

"Schedule hard
Defense improvement wont keep up with ACC offenses this year
Like Sims potential

4-8."

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
CBS can go **** themselves.

Since we only played 10 games last year, and no patsy OOC, they’re effectively predicting us to do worse this year.

Go **** yourselves CBS.
At this stage of our programs development I find it hard to be critical of anyone who says “until you prove you have begun to turn things around on the field we will continue to think you have a long way to go.” I may personally disagree with their assessment but it just doesn’t bother me even a tiny bit when others don’t see the progress and honor us for it (especially when we really do need to start putting more concrete results on the field).

I’m all in on CGC and our staff. I just can’t fault others outside the program who aren’t ready to say we can win a bunch of games.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At this stage of our programs development I find it hard to be critical of anyone who says “until you prove you have begun to turn things around on the field we will continue to think you have a long way to go.” I may personally disagree with their assessment but it just doesn’t bother me even a tiny bit when others don’t see the progress and honor us for it (especially when we really do need to start putting more concrete results on the field).

I’m all in on CGC and our staff. I just can’t fault others outside the program who aren’t ready to say we can win a bunch of games.
I agree with this. I would imagine if an analysis was done on all these picks by these "experts", I would imagine the forecasted W-L for all teams probably wouldn't vary more more than 1 or 2 wins in either direction from the previous year. Possible exception would be for the one off situations like the 89 team when they got hot at mid-season or so. It was fairly easy to forecast that trend into the next season, especially given the nmber and quality of the returning players and coaches.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Until we get to the 1st game and see who takes the field, I can't guess.If Sims, Gibbs, a LB, Ryan Johnson or the NW WR transfer is hurt badly, all bets are off.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think our floor is 4 and hope we win 5. God Bless our Yellow Jackets this season. A solid showing could be the launch pad we need to enable CGC to elevate the program. Can’t wait to get going.
That makes sense but personally, a team that has won three the past two years has a floor of three and a ceiling perhaps, as high as seven. I am sticking with my prediction of four wins.