Expectations for the 2021 season

GT_EE78

Banned
Geez, this odd for a bunch of engineers.
Calculus is what kept my GPA up
offsetting the damage from thermodynamics and chemistry
i'm still on board for 6 wins

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I had a visiting professor from Wales for Calc 2. After than, calc got hard for me.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Calc almost did me in. I was in that 2/3 take-it-over group back first quarter in '83 (actually it was 167 out of 212, so more than 3/4). Physics was a breeze and Chemistry was too - until Organic Chem did me in as a ChemE. Thermo was great (until I fell asleep in the final . . . IN . . . THE . . . FINAL - professor was ready to come roust me when I woke up). Great times. . .. My daughter, though brilliant, got out with straight A's last year. Hard to tell if it's easier now or just that she is just that much smarter than me. Edit, that was a 3.9 GPA.
Oh yeah, back on track. I'm up for 6 wins as well. Looking forward to a great season of competiveness.

So I love the Calculus discussion and yes I took it as well. But let' bring it back to recruiting.......No one else requires it or has to take any math in college. Maybe College Algebra. Point being is when recruiting for Tech you start with 70% less kids you can talk to than other schools. That is just the facts. And that number may be low these days. So point being, we aint going to get a bunch of 4 and 5 stars. We are going to get 2s a bunch of 3s and a few 4s. Then coaching and scheme comes in. And that is what we need to see from the current staff.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of "mindset", money doesn't grow on trees. Let's say we have 5-10 big pocket donors. uga and the SEC schools will have easily 5x as many as we do. That's why their facilities are generally so far ahead of ours. We might be able to selectively outbid on a single recruit from time to time, but we could not hope to keep up with the sheer volume of money that pours out of the factories.

Also, assuming that smart people don't reside in Athens or Tuscaloosa is naïve. All this change does is make the shady bag men legitimate now. Money will still funnel to the factories.
I hear you guys but I just think this belief that schools like Bama or UGA are the only big money schools because of current ranking and facilities isn‘t true. It’s all based on a system for decades that rewarded cheaters. Those schools were willing to exploit a system by cheating and the NCAA allowed them. The new system of paying players takes away their #1 advantage that allowed them to get all the top players - which is to pay them. Look how quickly Ole Miss got in the top 10 when they decided to go all in on paying players. It was short lived because the traditional cheaters had the NCAA bust them, but if little Oxford, MS can buy their way into the top ten what do you think much bigger/richer schools can do? And of course those cheaters have all the candy today like facilities, etc because they’ve been ranked forever due to blatant cheating. Those days are numbered now that the cheating will be allowed by everyone. If you think the bagmen of today are in the same league as the bagmen of tomorrow you are crazy. A guy like T. Boone Pickens (I know he died) has more bagmen at his disposal than Bama/UGA combined.

The paying of players will unleash decades of pent up frustration and money by schools like ND, Stanford, and others none of us even fathom right now. Think what Oregon will be able to do. Now that alum know they won’t be competing in an unfair market it’s gonna be crazy. Think of schools who have been grinding for decades selling their product only to have 10 grand of under the table money turn a player towards the SEC. I’m not saying GT will be a major player but at least for the first time in my life we’ll at least know where we stand and won’t have to wonder why player X went to UCF or Vandy over GT.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If you struggle with algebra, calculus is really hard. If you have an irrational fear of math, in general, calculus is really hard. If your mind doesn't naturally follow numbers and how they work, calculus is really hard. I've always found it funny how engineers say calculus really isn't hard (not pointing at you but others in my 30+ years since taking calculus), but struggle with subject/verb agreement and simple spelling. Everyone's mind works differently.

All this being said, OL are typically the smartest players on the field. So, handling calculus shouldn't be tough for these smart OL. On the flip side, interior DL usually test the lowest...

I'd argue that football players in general already have the mind for math. Even if they do not know it. Think about it, think about all the patterns and rules you have to apply in just about every position the only one you don't really have to be able to read (whole formations on the field edit for clarity) in to do your job is potentially a defensive lineman. Algebra is also not hard when its presented in equation form. The main issue with our algebra instruction is the problems do not look like this when kids first encounter them.

2x +8 = 18 solve for x

they look like this.

Billy has twice the apples as Sally, and Jim has 8 apples. together they have 18 apples how many apples does sally have?

These are two completely different skill sets and combining them (especially when reading comprehension skills are lower for poorly educated people) hinders the learning of math by obfuscating it. If a lot of kids were simply shown the equations and the "tricks" first then problem solving was taught later the true dyscalculics would be easier to spot.

Dyscalculia can also manifest in spelling issues because its more about the inability to apply patterns. But think about it in calculus 1 what did you start with? My bet is like most it was limits and even more likely proofs of limit theory and discrete differentiation. Often mixing LaGrange and Leibniz notation. But the truth is Discrete differentiation is much more intimidating than boundless. Just like in the first example discrete differentiation is the word problem. You have to think about how you are going to describe a function in terms of another to arrive at a specific value. To do this you end up turning everything into an algebra problem without really knowing why you are. Simply learning the different "tricks" of non discrete differentiation allows someone to learn how functions relate with a very small subset of tools and patterns. Then you can teach how to do it for targeted values. (ironically at least when i learned Integration was taught this way... with indefinite being before Series and Riemann sums but that was just my instructor doing that not how it was laid out in the book).

As you said minds work differently but the way we teach is... well very bad for most non self learners.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you struggle with algebra, calculus is really hard. If you have an irrational fear of math, in general, calculus is really hard. If your mind doesn't naturally follow numbers and how they work, calculus is really hard. I've always found it funny how engineers say calculus really isn't hard (not pointing at you but others in my 30+ years since taking calculus), but struggle with subject/verb agreement and simple spelling. Everyone's mind works differently.

All this being said, OL are typically the smartest players on the field. So, handling calculus shouldn't be tough for these smart OL. On the flip side, interior DL usually test the lowest...
I’ve said essentially the same years ago when people complained about Tech not getting a good DT. They are few and far between to begin with and, not that long ago, most came from failing schools or had marginal academic backgrounds. The overall profile means Tech has to have all the stars line up just right and then catch lightning in a bottle.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'd argue that football players in general already have the mind for math. Even if they do not know it. Think about it, think about all the patterns and rules you have to apply in just about every position the only one you don't really have to be able to read (whole formations on the field edit for clarity) in to do your job is potentially a defensive lineman. Algebra is also not hard when its presented in equation form. The main issue with our algebra instruction is the problems do not look like this when kids first encounter them.

2x + x +8 = 18 solve for x; Sally has x apples.
they look like this.

Billy has twice the apples as Sally, and Jim has 8 apples. together they have 18 apples how many apples does sally have?

These are two completely different skill sets and combining them (especially when reading comprehension skills are lower for poorly educated people) hinders the learning of math by obfuscating it. If a lot of kids were simply shown the equations and the "tricks" first then problem solving was taught later the true dyscalculics would be easier to spot.

Dyscalculia can also manifest in spelling issues because its more about the inability to apply patterns. But think about it in calculus 1 what did you start with? My bet is like most it was limits and even more likely proofs of limit theory and discrete differentiation. Often mixing LaGrange and Leibniz notation. But the truth is Discrete differentiation is much more intimidating than boundless. Just like in the first example discrete differentiation is the word problem. You have to think about how you are going to describe a function in terms of another to arrive at a specific value. To do this you end up turning everything into an algebra problem without really knowing why you are. Simply learning the different "tricks" of non discrete differentiation allows someone to learn how functions relate with a very small subset of tools and patterns. Then you can teach how to do it for targeted values. (ironically at least when i learned Integration was taught this way... with indefinite being before Series and Riemann sums but that was just my instructor doing that not how it was laid out in the book).

As you said minds work differently but the way we teach is... well very bad for most non self learners.
oops! Fixed it for you. LOL!

Guess that proves your point, right? ;) 🤣 (or does it prove my point?)

2x +8 = 18 solve for x

they look like this.

And you have just identified our biggest problem. D Line and LB to an extent. We might get 1 but this is the position the SEC thrives at because D Line man are not bright. When you have a Defense issue you do 2 things. Either run lots of blitz packages...back to scheme...Tenuta. Or you have an offense that keeps the defense off the field. CPJ. If the other team gets the ball 15 times....well that is probably 45-49 points you have to overcome.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
oops! Fixed it for you. LOL!

Guess that proves your point, right? ;) 🤣 (or does it prove my point?)

It doesn't really prove anything other than I didn't proof read the post well enough. The rest of the point remains. If you want to get semantical, I never said the first equation and the word problem were meant to mirror each other. But I just goofed on typing it.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Calculus is a fear reaction for most people. It really isn't that hard ther eis a small set of rules... apply them. THe problem is simple algebra is taught by education majors that barely got through it themselves in 6 and 7th grade.
This.

It's so true.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
those funny accents will get you every time.
Jarik Jarosow and a THICK RUSSIAN accent was my CALC 2 teacher. I believe it was my 4th calc class and the reason I went back to undecided. I couldn’t understand the teachers lesson or the basis of Calculus so I knew engineering wasn’t for me.

I guess I had passed Calc 1 before riding the M train so….I’m sorry I asked. Back on topic? Hahaha

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
My calc 2 prof was brand new and German, and I didn't have a clue what was going on. He was one of those that didn't use a text at all. I went to math lab and had the tutors there help me understand the homework and managed to get an A. Didn't do calc 1 @ Tech because of AP credit. Later in life, my wife was pursuing grad school from a non science/math perspective. I tried to help her prepare for the GRE. Trust me, there are smart people out there that are just hopeless at math. Maybe it's mental and time and patience and good teaching, but I imagine many folks need so much catch up that no matter how well you teach it, calc could be inaccessible. That said, all I really remember that calc 1 was is limits and polynomial derivatives and integration which is very formulaic stuff. But it's been more than 2 decades, so my recollection probably isn't adequate here. 😁

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I hear you guys but I just think this belief that schools like Bama or UGA are the only big money schools because of current ranking and facilities isn‘t true. It’s all based on a system for decades that rewarded cheaters. Those schools were willing to exploit a system by cheating and the NCAA allowed them. The new system of paying players takes away their #1 advantage that allowed them to get all the top players - which is to pay them. Look how quickly Ole Miss got in the top 10 when they decided to go all in on paying players. It was short lived because the traditional cheaters had the NCAA bust them, but if little Oxford, MS can buy their way into the top ten what do you think much bigger/richer schools can do? And of course those cheaters have all the candy today like facilities, etc because they’ve been ranked forever due to blatant cheating. Those days are numbered now that the cheating will be allowed by everyone. If you think the bagmen of today are in the same league as the bagmen of tomorrow you are crazy. A guy like T. Boone Pickens (I know he died) has more bagmen at his disposal than Bama/UGA combined.

The paying of players will unleash decades of pent up frustration and money by schools like ND, Stanford, and others none of us even fathom right now. Think what Oregon will be able to do. Now that alum know they won’t be competing in an unfair market it’s gonna be crazy. Think of schools who have been grinding for decades selling their product only to have 10 grand of under the table money turn a player towards the SEC. I’m not saying GT will be a major player but at least for the first time in my life we’ll at least know where we stand and won’t have to wonder why player X went to UCF or Vandy over GT.

I agree with your last sentence, but still believe that no matter the past history of factories and cheating, all the NIL laws will end up doing is allow what was going on in secret to go on in the open now. While schools that didn't cheat will now be able to enter the "market" freely, the schools that did no longer have to be discreet and can pour even larger piles of cash into recruiting and not worry about being noticed anymore. I just don't see this as a win for GT.

I do, however, see it as a win for the athletes, who should be able to monetize their NIL.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. Trust me, there are smart people out there that are just hopeless at math. Maybe it's mental and time and patience and good teaching, but I imagine many folks need so much catch up that no matter how well you teach it, calc could be inaccessible. . 😁

I used to think people who couldn;t grasp math were lazy...or worse. Then I became a HS math teacher after leaving the private sector. Have taught in public and private schools. The private school kids have had access to good to great teaching throughout their careers as well as outside tutors in many cases.

Now I say it's similar to music, art, or athletics. Some people have a gift for it while others don't. Everyone can improve through work and practice but not everyone is equal. Like golf - coaching and practice is going to lower my handicap but I am never going to tee it up at the US Open. Simple as that. Based on my experiences in the classroom, I would say that calculus (as taught in the engineering department at GT back when the weeding out process was in effect) was/is accessible to 5 - 10% (maximum and a very liberal estimate) of the population. Calculus as taught at the local community college may be accessible to 25-30%? ( Disclaimer - these numbers were calculated using the S.W.A.G. method and are not reported as fact but as opinion. )

Jolly Good Fellow
And you have just identified our biggest problem. D Line and LB to an extent. We might get 1 but this is the position the SEC thrives at because D Line man are not bright. When you have a Defense issue you do 2 things. Either run lots of blitz packages...back to scheme...Tenuta. Or you have an offense that keeps the defense off the field. CPJ. If the other team gets the ball 15 times....well that is probably 45-49 points you have to overcome.
DL 4-5 star guys are the easiest sure things to spot early. Kid 6'5 285# as 8th grader with good feet is going to play SEC FB.
Period...The...End... everyone knows this, including and most significantly, the kid knows it... he doesn't need math to play at UGa or LSU or even at Vandy, so why keep taking it? (Hint: He won't.)
Not a GT candidate.
And you don't need ONE of these DL super-stars, you need FOUR of them ..... they only play 20-25 plays a game because....frankly, I don't know why...Fat and outta shape?
Which is why scheme is so very important at the non-factories...it is why Paul's offense worked 75% of the time. (It was all about QB'ing, BTW...when our QB platyed well, Paul's TO hybrid rolled)
And importance of scheme is equally true about defense. GT cannot line up 3-4-4 and stop anybody..not Clemson/UGa...not the Citadel... We haven't been able to do this since 1966.
I suggest that our future success (8+ wins every year) depends upon defensive scheme innovation...We can sign 15 safeties each year....safeties are the easiest position to fill....as there are 6'2 200# 4.7 guys at every HS in the US...and we take these safeties and grow them into S-LB hybrids...
Then we bring 6 on every play, 7, half the time and 9 every once in a while...ala Joe Lee Dunn Miss State 1990-ish...GT would have an identity...a defensive ID... yes we would get torched a couple of times every game but we would stuff most less-than-elite offenses...
But.....No one would hang 73 on us ever again