Expectations for the 2021 season

Just curious, do you mind saying anymore about these coaches? I understand if you can’t share more. Many of us have to keep a certain anonymity on here to protect professional relationships. But, I would be curious about how many coaches said this and/or their approximate geographical location and/or the size programs they were in and/or if they sent kids to play for any programs. Again, don’t feel put on the spot but anything else you can share would be of interest.

This would make at least the fourth Tech head coach that high school coaches have “said some things about” and I am starting to get really curious about this after having thought in the past this was not a big issue.
I can not tell you who the coaches are. 3 active 2 retired. All State of Georgia high school coaches. Funny thing about what they also said....."CPJ was the best thing going for Tech. He needed to make some changes on his offense but as far as coaching and the program he is one of the best in the country". Their words not mine.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I can not tell you who the coaches are. 3 active 2 retired. All State of Georgia high school coaches. Funny thing about what they also said....."CPJ was the best thing going for Tech. He needed to make some changes on his offense but as far as coaching and the program he is one of the best in the country". Their words not mine.
Why don't you look what colleges they graduated from and report back to us. Just a list of the colleges. That would tell us a lot.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Gee, and I thought that sort of thing went out with Coach Johnson. We play Clemson and UNC while they play two patsies? Figures. I don't think they are all that great but their coach seems to hate us for some reason. Miami, Pitt, BC, Duke, UVA and Virginia Tech, there ought to be a couple of wins in there somewhere because among UNC, UGA, Notre Dame, and Clemson the likelihood is four losses. IIWII
It won't stop. A lot of teams are jealous of tech's past success, we were getting screwed in the gailey days too with scheduling.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Ok Thats It Im Done For The Night Goodbye GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I am sure that you agreed on behalf of all of us Tech fans....then reminded them of course that CPJ retired so we were forced into either shutting down our program or hiring a different coach. Right?

I am sure that you agreed on behalf of all of us Tech fans....then reminded them of course that CPJ retired so we were forced into either shutting down our program or hiring a different coach. Right?
The conversations were more about current status of College Football and the relationship of College Coaches and High School coaches. Here in Georgia many of the long standing HS coaches are as highly thought of as many college coaches. When recruiting was discussed that is when we began to talk about Tech. All agreed that Tech is a hard place to recruit do to academics. It then turned to a fairly common statement that good coaches are disciplined. Also that good coaches fit systems to the players that they have and not try to force a system into what they want. A direct reference to CDP. It was also said that Tech cannot run what everybody else does because of recruiting limitations.

Not my comments.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so we think we have the first 2 won. Should but KSU worries me. As for the ACC. Well let's just put it out there. Cutcliff is a much better coach. Coaching beats all. Same with UVA and Pitt. Va Tech crushed us the last time we played them. Clemson, UGA ND, losses. Mack Brown and his staff are heads and tails better than ours. BC slobber knocked us last year. Miami may be a 10 win team this year.

We will be favored in 2 maybe 3 games. CDP has no idea what he is doing and our discipline as a team is weak.

I have had the opportunity to spend time with some current and past high school coaches over the last 3 weeks. Their opinion of our current staff. Undisciplined. just saying what they told me.
With fans like this who needs opponents?

and as to the bolded-if it were true CPJ would’ve won multiple ACC championships and a title. But you have to have the horses to do it with. Duke’s talent level has dropped precipitously over the last couple years. We stomp them easily this year. I think we are more like a 5-7 win team this year. I’ll put $50 on the fact that we win 4. Want to take that bet?

Scubapro

Banned

and as to the bolded-if it were true CPJ would’ve won multiple ACC championships and a title. But you have to have the horses to do it with. Duke’s talent level has dropped precipitously over the last couple years. We stomp them easily this year. I think we are more like a 5-7 win team this year. I’ll put $50 on the fact that we win 4. Want to take that bet?
If it was all about talent then Chan should have won many more games. When talent is somewhat comparable then coaching makes all the difference. Poor coaching can destroy a team...see billy lewis. Coaching that facilitates teamwork with sound principles can make decent players into a great team.
Cutcliff and Mendehall are good coaches. Other than Northern Illinois and KSU (KSU worries me to death). I can't rationalize us penciling in any other wins. You can get mad and insulted but this staff has not shown they can out-coach or motivate a team to play above their talent level.
Do we have more talent than in the recent past? Yes, we do....but that doesn't automatically mean more wins.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Vegas odds as of May 26:

2021 season win totals for 130 college football teams - VSiN Exclusive News - News | VSiN

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 4.5

Over + 110

Under -139

I'm thinking the over is a good wager at +110.

If 4 wins is all we get....and there is a good chance of that....then we really are shooting low as a team. It will be time for CGC to start replacing coaches.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If it was all about talent then Chan should have won many more games. When talent is somewhat comparable then coaching makes all the difference. Poor coaching can destroy a team...see billy lewis. Coaching that facilitates teamwork with sound principles can make decent players into a great team.
Cutcliff and Mendehall are good coaches. Other than Northern Illinois and KSU (KSU worries me to death). I can't rationalize us penciling in any other wins. You can get mad and insulted but this staff has not shown they can out-coach or motivate a team to play above their talent level.
Do we have more talent than in the recent past? Yes, we do....but that doesn't automatically mean more wins.
All true, but the coaching will look a lot better with talent upgrades, especially on the OL.
Cutcliffe and Mendenhall are indeed proven good coaches, but we'll find out this year what Collins and company are made of.

I think Collins' teams have been motivated. They've played hard for the most part. The question is more about fundamentals, IMO.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was a great coach, he wouldn't change his offense nor would he change his recruting style. He resigned, we didn't fire him. His style of play was going to be harder to succeed at as the blocking rules kept changing making it much harder to block on the edges which is where most of our explosive plays came from. He did great things for GT football. He chose to move on. Don't hold his decision against the current staff. Give them a fair chance to actually establish their program.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ was a great coach, he wouldn't change his offense nor would he change his recruting style. He resigned, we didn't fire him. His style of play was going to be harder to succeed at as the blocking rules kept changing making it much harder to block on the edges which is where most of our explosive plays came from. He did great things for GT football. He chose to move on. Don't hold his decision against the current staff. Give them a fair chance to actually establish their program.
It's easy to quote some off the cuff statement, but when the rubber met the road, I wonder how many of those coaches tried to convince their top players that they should choose GT and play for 'one of the best in the country'.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It's easy to quote some off the cuff statement, but when the rubber met the road, I wonder how many of those coaches tried to convince their top players that they should choose GT and play for 'one of the best in the country'.
Very few likely for the elite players

Codicil, top players that were very good students. Keep in mind, what may be a top player at a school could be an All Purpose QB that would not end up being one in many schools. JT5 comes to mind. Players will go where the system fits them and can be developed.

I am all for CGC but my concern is his lack of discipline and game day coaching. Also his decision to only go one way with the offense.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know and talk to a lot of high school coaches down here in South Georgia. Let’s just say these guys as a group aren’t geniuses. You have smart ones and you also have your used car salesman types. This isn’t rocket science. Probst showed how easy it is - have a reputation for winning, get the community’s support, and live in the gray area regarding recruiting. And don’t ask where half of Lee Counties players live down here.

Until Collins wins everyone is going to pile on. It’s totally expected. Auburn, UGA, FSU, Clemson, Bama all want to kick dirt on GT because no one wants more competition. Ask FSU how it felt for a QB they dumped to end their season before it began last year. High school coaches know how to butter their bread. When Collins starts winning they’ll change their tune because it’s all about perception. I wonder what these same coaches say about Kirby who looks lost at the end of big games. Bottom line is the only coach who probably doesn’t get crushed in private is Saban. Imagine what these high school coaches were saying about Dabo a decade ago. Now, they all lick his boots praying for a text back like teenage girls.