Expectations for the 2021 season

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure we will ever get that many side walk fans. Even after 1990 ticket sales did not greatly expand. Being a Tech fan is something different. Also as the Tech game day experience continues to change, in a bad way, less folks will be going. I am referring to loss of parking and tailgaiting areas. Most don't like riding the MARTA train to games. And if we continue to have games at MBS, that will hurt as well. Our UNC game this year is a home game for UNC.
I agree that the game-day experience will have a tremendous effect on whether people show up to the stadium. That's why I suggested there may have been other factors that went into the decision to not continue with season tickets wasn't strictly about the W/L. Why go stand in the beating heat in September when you can't tailgate easily and you can have a better experience with a watching party at your house? Although I'd prefer to watch from home, If I lived closer, I'd go and tailgate and suffer through the heat, but I don't.

I think winning will attract sidewalk fans. 1990 was preceded by 2-9, 3-8, 7-4 (all without bowls) and followed by 8-4 and the Seattle Bowl against Stanford. Mac coached the bowl game. Then we got HIM. Not really much to build on there.

Scubapro

Banned
I agree that the game-day experience will have a tremendous effect on whether people show up to the stadium. That's why I suggested there may have been other factors that went into the decision to not continue with season tickets wasn't strictly about the W/L. Why go stand in the beating heat in September when you can't tailgate easily and you can have a better experience with a watching party at your house? Although I'd prefer to watch from home, If I lived closer, I'd go and tailgate and suffer through the heat, but I don't.

I think winning will attract sidewalk fans. 1990 was preceded by 2-9, 3-8, 7-4 (all without bowls) and followed by 8-4 and the Seattle Bowl against Stanford. Mac coached the bowl game. Then we got HIM. Not really much to build on there.
You, Colorado and Stech have the same point in that we haven't been consistent enough to pick up many sidewalk fans. We started to pick up some during O'Leary's tenure.
The limited parking, traffic, noon starts, baking in the sun the first four September Saturdays don't help the game day experience.
I spoke to several long time season ticket holders that used to sit near me not renew their tickets. I doubt they will be coming back once things are peaches and cream.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Um...mediocre coach. CPJ took us places no coach had since Dodd. I guess Dodd was mediocre as well.
Coach Johnson did indeed take us to the Orange Bowl which had not been done by any coach since Dodd last did it in 1966. Dodd had several advantages not afforded to Coach Johnson. He was a far better recruiter, much like Coach Collins. He had the Atlanta media eating out of his hand, again not like Johnson or anyone else since, most of all he had the unqualified support of the faculty, the administration and the alumni that no coach since then has been able to match. Coach Johnson and Coach Collins have one advantage over Dodd though. They do not have to play Alabama, Tennessee (which was a lot better then), LSU, Auburn, and Florida every year. To be fair, UGA was nowhere near as good then as they are now and Tech benefited from playing Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Duke, and Tulane. The only one of that crew that is decidedly easier to play now is Duke. Dodd benefited from national exposure from bowl games to a degree not appreciated now. There were far fewer and more people watched them, especially the major ones like the Orange Bowl.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You, Colorado and Stech have the same point in that we haven't been consistent enough to pick up many sidewalk fans. We started to pick up some during O'Leary's tenure.
The limited parking, traffic, noon starts, baking in the sun the first four September Saturdays don't help the game day experience.
I spoke to several long time season ticket holders that used to sit near me not renew their tickets. I doubt they will be coming back once things are peaches and cream.
This phenomena is not limited to Tech. I know a Florida fan who is a podiatrist, has lots of money, and was a season ticket holder to Gator games for over 20 years and he has not renewed his tickets and knows a bunch of people at Florida who have not renewed. A lot of that is discontent with the coach for some reason. He told me that Florida Field had thousands of empty seats two years ago for the first time in decades. Admittedly, it is a really big stadium and a notoriously fickle fan base but still.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Coach Johnson did indeed take us to the Orange Bowl which had not been done by any coach since Dodd last did it in 1966. Dodd had several advantages not afforded to Coach Johnson. He was a far better recruiter, much like Coach Collins. He had the Atlanta media eating out of his hand, again not like Johnson or anyone else since, most of all he had the unqualified support of the faculty, the administration and the alumni that no coach since then has been able to match. Coach Johnson and Coach Collins have one advantage over Dodd though. They do not have to play Alabama, Tennessee (which was a lot better then), LSU, Auburn, and Florida every year. To be fair, UGA was nowhere near as good then as they are now and Tech benefited from playing Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Duke, and Tulane. The only one of that crew that is decidedly easier to play now is Duke. Dodd benefited from national exposure from bowl games to a degree not appreciated now. There were far fewer and more people watched them, especially the major ones like the Orange Bowl.
I know that Boys High school and Tech High school stop playing about the time Dodd came to Tech but does any remember if Tech got a lot of players from those two schools ?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

Sidewalk fans is such a false hope. It’s Atlanta. There are plenty of things to do. Might some people decide to go see a good even great team at a certainly great venue ? Sure. Some will, but not in any significant numbers. It’s never happened. All the hype videos in the world won’t change that even if results turn around.

The largest mistake we made was expanding the stadium. It only looks bad for normal games and fills with opposing fans or big one. “Mayhem at MBB” will be the same. (And we forfeit games at one of the best venues in CFB). But yeah, sidewalk fans can’t wait to see GT football. Cmon Man !

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Winning solves everything including sidewalk fans and stadium filling. Enthusiasm was big in 2010 and 2015 after the winning seasons.

recruiting and scheme wins games.. both of them combined. Stadiums and fans come after winning. Also, you don’t necessarily need fans and stadiums to recruit but facilities, technology, uniforms, hype.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Winning solves everything including sidewalk fans and stadium filling. Enthusiasm was big in 2010 and 2015 after the winning seasons.

recruiting and scheme wins games.. both of them combined. Stadiums and fans come after winning. Also, you don’t necessarily need fans and stadiums to recruit but facilities, technology, uniforms, hype.
I was there here are the 1st 4 home games in 2011 after 2010 Western Carline 42,132 - Kasnsas 42,025 - UNC 46, 689 and Maryland 45,905 now Clemson and UGA had 54,000 but we know why .

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I was there here are the 1st 4 home games in 2011 after 2010 Western Carline 42,132 - Kasnsas 42,025 - UNC 46, 689 and Maryland 45,905 now Clemson and UGA had 54,000 but we know why .
I’m talking about right after the 2009 and 2014 seasons.

Being a Tech fan is like I said, something different. I grew up a Tech fan, going to games with my grandmother. My grand parents had tickets since 1931. I did not go to Tech. Both my kids are Tech fans. My son is a huge Tech fan like me. He goes to Colorado Mesa. If we rely on students to fill the stadium we will have problems. When I go to the games and see less and less kids there, that does not bode well. Today there are too many distractions to get families to the game. When I played football in the youth leagues, games were over on Saturday so you could get to the game. Now they even play high school ball on Saturday.
We need to bring back band day.
We need to offer up tickets to youth football leagues.

Fact is most kids in this state become Georgia fans because they are the predominant team.
I told you all I have moved back to Georgia, Newnan to be exact. Down here, if you go into Walmart or Academy Sports, you can not buy Tech gear. 80% is UGA and the rest is Auburn. Auburn is probably more prevalent in Atlanta than Tech.

I would say we need to build for the future....but I am not certain what this sport will be in the future.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Being a Tech fan is like I said, something different. I grew up a Tech fan, going to games with my grandmother. My grand parents had tickets since 1931. I did not go to Tech. Both my kids are Tech fans. My son is a huge Tech fan like me. He goes to Colorado Mesa. If we rely on students to fill the stadium we will have problems. When I go to the games and see less and less kids there, that does not bode well. Today there are too many distractions to get families to the game. When I played football in the youth leagues, games were over on Saturday so you could get to the game. Now they even play high school ball on Saturday.

Fact is most kids in this state become Georgia fans because they are the predominant team.
I told you all I have moved back to Georgia, Newnan to be exact. Down here, if you go into Walmart or Academy Sports, you can not buy Tech gear. 80% is UGA and the rest is Auburn. Auburn is probably more prevalent in Atlanta than Tech.

I would say we need to build for the future....but I am not certain what this sport will be in the future.
Building a fan base takes years not just one or 2 but years. First it takes years of winning , Second it takes years to sale your program (Which I think CGC can do) . Maybe to get more families in they could sale tickets for their kids at 1/2 price for season ticket holders. We need to get the stadium full. I really think the worse thing we did was expanding stadium too fast before we had the number of fans to fill it. Maybe it's just me but a stadium that seats 46,000 full looks better than one that seats 55,000 and only has 46,000 unless the other team buys tickets. I know we are not spend money to reduce seating but you could do it be giving a little more room for each seat. I know we have had this discussion before and it just seems like all the people in charge want to do is not much to solve the problem but try and raise money which we need but it takes more.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Building a fan base takes years not just one or 2 but years. First it takes years of winning , Second it takes years to sale your program (Which I think CGC can do) . Maybe to get more families in they could sale tickets for their kids at 1/2 price for season ticket holders. We need to get the stadium full. I really think the worse thing we did was expanding stadium too fast before we had the number of fans to fill it. Maybe it's just me but a stadium that seats 46,000 full looks better than one that seats 55,000 and only has 46,000 unless the other team buys tickets. I know we are not spend money to reduce seating but you could do it be giving a little more room for each seat. I know we have had this discussion before and it just seems like all the people in charge want to do is not much to solve the problem but try and raise money which we need but it takes more.
Exactly. This has been a theme of mine regarding GT for decades. It takes consistent winning to turn into a name brand. Look at the way Boise became a brand. GT has had several opportunities to make huge inroads and at every opportunity GT failed. Sitting in the Meadowlands prior to kick off I remember thinking about how this was the college football world opening the door for GT to get back after decades of falling off the map. That was an opportunity and the door was closed by halftime. Then we beat them 3 in a row and have a Heisman contender. Then we fall off again.

Here‘s the deal. Collins has a chance to get us back because of circumstances. Fans in this state are yearning for a viable alternative to the constant disappointment, bad behavior, and under performance from that other team. The shine is off that coach even with the top 4 recruiting. I’ve had long time fans of that team start verbalizing what we’ve all known. Their frustration level will reach a tipping point after another top recruiting class leads to even more disappointment. With USC and UT making very solid hires their playground in the east is becoming a tougher road. If Collins can lead GT from little brother status to a tough out I believe the fans of this state will see it and follow it. GT hasn’t been a viable alternative so there’s a reason a large portion of Georgians pull for Auburn, Bama, and others. I don’t blame them at all. Give them a legit alternative and Georgians would love to pull for GT. We are the underdog and folks love that. Think about 3 years from now when the team up 316 is still looking for their next savior QB and that coach is having to explain why top 4 recruiting classes aren’t getting it done, while GT is starting to take over the Coastal. Now, all of that goes away if they get a Natty. If so, just prepare to move.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Newnan is a nice place. My parents retired there and played golf at White Oak. Did not like the ever increasing traffic on Bullsboro Blvd. however. Tech has gotten some good football players from Newnan and Coweta County. Drew Hill, the linebacker that played for O'Leary and was paired with Ron Rogers, (forgive me for not remembering his name) and Derrick Stegall a wide receiver in the mid to late 90s among many others.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ok you may want to pick two more years
2010 NC State 48,825 Virginia 48,016 Middle Tenn 40;652 Duke 42,110
2015 Alcorn State 49,196 Pitt 46.208 VT 48,552

point is it takes more than winning you still have to sale the program.
We had 49,196 for Alcorn State? Surprising at least to me. I am not surprised by NC State attendance in 2010, they always seem to bring a bunch of people to Atlanta.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

As a recent band alum, I assure you that Band Day is still a thing, even though most of the band members would rather not wake up extra early on a Saturday to play Sousa marches with a bunch of high school students.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking 5 this year. The first two, Duke and two of the five-pack of Pitt, VT, UVA, BC, Thugs. If I had to guess I'd say we win NIU, Kenny State, Dook, The French, BC. Less than five will be a disappointment. More than 5 (and a bowl game) will be huge, but we'll have to beat either VT, Pitt or the Thugs. Of those, I'd guess Pitt is most likely from a talent standpoint. I'm not even considering seven a reasonable possibility. We'd have to see such an improvement in both of our trenches that I can't imagine it happening.

As to the state of the program, Collins deserves support despite the losing seasons. If we don't see bowl games year four and beyond, then we need to start asking are we seeing progress or just promises.

Regarding to increasing the number of fans, Tech just keeps making being a fan harder and harder. Forget a brand manager, we need to hire a customer experience director and give them some real say on the game-day experience. Start by looking at who is buying tickets, then at who you would like to buy tickets in the future. Then make darn sure that you create an experience that is compelling at BDS@HGF. Recognize that to get butts in seats in the modern era, you must focus on creating a great tailgate experience. Improve parking. Reduce the number of seats in the stadium until you can fill it up, making it less claustrophobic to enjoy the game. And, most importantly, hire a PA person who doesn't also work in pro wresl'n! ;)

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking 5 this year. The first two, Duke and two of the five-pack of Pitt, VT, UVA, BC, Thugs. If I had to guess I'd say we win NIU, Kenny State, Dook, The French, BC. Less than five will be a disappointment. More than 5 (and a bowl game) will be huge, but we'll have to beat either VT, Pitt or the Thugs. Of those, I'd guess Pitt is most likely from a talent standpoint. I'm not even considering seven a reasonable possibility. We'd have to see such an improvement in both of our trenches that I can't imagine it happening.

As to the state of the program, Collins deserves support despite the losing seasons. If we don't see bowl games year four and beyond, then we need to start asking are we seeing progress or just promises.

Regarding to increasing the number of fans, Tech just keeps making being a fan harder and harder. Forget a brand manager, we need to hire a customer experience director and give them some real say on the game-day experience. Start by looking at who is buying tickets, then at who you would like to buy tickets in the future. Then make darn sure that you create an experience that is compelling at BDS@HGF. Recognize that to get butts in seats in the modern era, you must focus on creating a great tailgate experience. Improve parking. Reduce the number of seats in the stadium until you can fill it up, making it less claustrophobic to enjoy the game. And, most importantly, hire a PA person who doesn't also work in pro wresl'n! ;)
Fans make the tailgating experience. Don’t wait on the GTAA.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Pitt had 6 players drafted this past week with 3 on the first 2 days. They clearly lose a lot of talent but the question is are they stocked with replacements at the same level? Their talent level has been well above ours for a good number of years. We are closing the gap but much of our best talent is still young. Beating them will be tough. VT had 4 players drafted including 2 in the 1st round. Harder to get a read on their program. They have had a lot of turnover the past few years and some transfers in were difference makers. UVA has hurt VT in recruting in the Hampton Roads area which VT owned while UVA suffered in the coaching wilderness. Bronco has been turning UVA around slowly. They are now a very physically tough team that competes hard. We are about the same as them talent wise, however, if we keep pulling in 4 stars that will change in a year or two in our favor.