Expectations for the 2021 season

Scubapro

Banned
Time to post this again:
"Do I think that Tech can compete for a national championship under the current setup. No, not really. So I was a shocked as anybody at what happened in 1990. Do I think that Tech has a chance to be a really good team and finish in the Top 10, Yes I do. Maybe not year in and year out, But I do think they could be a regular Top 25 team and compete for the ACC on a regular basis. And I still think that's the case at Tech." Kim King

Dave Braine was an idiot. We had 5 consecutive top 25 AP final poll finishes that included 3 in a row over Georgie under O'Leary..who left while Braine was AD. Braine's statement was true ----as long as we had people like him as AD. Hopefully we are finally past that with Stansbury, but we will see. Stansbury has been at Tech for 5 years and I might have expected more progress, but I understand that he has been digging out from a deep hole created by his predecessors.

It's interesting that Stansbury and Collins are both O'Leary disciples. I had my issues with O'Leary, but he doesn't get enough credit for what he accomplished at Tech after taking over a bad situation.
I didn't like what Braine had to say but its more than understandable given his situation. The Institute treated the GTAA with distain (limited funding, no joint fundraising, limited academic exceptions)
From what I understand GOL really rankled the faculty and administration regarding academic exceptions.
Having financial support doesn't guarantee success but not having it makes it extremely difficult to succeed.

Now...if you want to kick Braine for his contract skills..by all means put on some steel toed boots and limber up.

Scubapro

Banned
Two problems first what proven OC would want to come to work for ( well) an unproven Head coach , second if you ( could fine one by promising him he would be in line as the head coach) lack of money is the second problem.
If you made me wish for an OC it would either be Art Briles or Norm Chow. Both are coaching High school ball right now.
Norm might want to finish a long career in Atlanta.
Art, I know, I know, I know, has tons of baggage but who would most likely want to rehab his image. Money for him shouldn't be an issue since we would be giving him a chance at redemption. He also got a nice buy out (I think)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If you made me wish for an OC it would either be Art Briles or Norm Chow. Both are coaching High school ball right now.
Norm might want to finish a long career in Atlanta.
Art, I know, I know, I know, has tons of baggage but who would most likely want to rehab his image. Money for him shouldn't be an issue since we would be giving him a chance at redemption. He also got a nice buy out (I think)
Norm Chow is 74 which is old even for me , Art Briles I really didn't follow but has he coached any where other than Texas ? may be a reason if not.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm not so sure why so many are so down on Collins. He needs (and will get) enough time to get everything in and rolling. I don't think he will leave before his contract is up unless he loses the team. That's 7 years, not 5 like everyone on here is chirping. I don't think his seat gets warm until he has 4 years of losing seasons.

A lot of it has to do with the complete 180 from CPJ in not only offensive philosophy, but demeanor as well. We couldn't have hired someone more unlike the previous HC. IMO, that isn't a bad thing, but it is a lot for some to digest. Also, a lot of his comments early on, (some even I consider ill advised), were considered by my many to uncharitable at best, and veiled insults at worst, towards the previous regime. Considering a large portion of the fan base loved CPJ, this caused some anger. Top this off with back to back 3 win seasons and you have the recipe for a fair amount of online posters (as opposed to more "normal" fans) to spew venom towards him. IMO, all of this is unfair to CGC and what he is trying to do. Sure, he speaks in hyperbole, but once you get used to him, you can learn to read between the lines to get the real story. Sure he seems gimmicky in his approach to changing the culture, (as opposed to CPJ and his "gimmicky" offense), with his use of money downs and juice crews, but if recruits and players like it, then we as fans should give him time to prove it works. But not everyone is willing to give him those chances. For some, those sins, especially the 3 win seasons, are unforgivable. The only way to bring them aboard the CGC bandwagon is to start winning. I think that's coming soon.

That leads to your second point. I also believe CGC will be here all 7 years of his contract. My statement of 5 years was that was the soonest he would possibly be fired, as TStan will give him every opportunity to succeed here. If we go through 4 years of losing football, his seat will be warm. If we go through 5, he will either be gone or it will be uncomfortably hot. I think 2021 is our last year in the wilderness. While it's very possible we could break through this season and go to a bowl, I have us pegged for a 5 win season this year and breaking through in 2022 big time. Hopefully, we break through this season and put all this to rest, but if not, prepare for the same disenchanted fans, plus a bit more, to continue moaning next offseason as well. For them, winning is the only cure now.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
As I have mentioned, go watch Coastal Carolina's offense. That is what we should run. Bet we could get their OC for a reasonable price.
IMO, at that level for most of their season it is definitely more about matchups than in Power 5 play. It is a subtle difference, but it's there. The vast majority of teams in Power 5 also have some "weak(er) links" on their roster. Are we in a position to exploit those matchups ? IMO , not consistently enough to overcome shooting ourselves in the foot with the missteps we have had the last 2 years. Clean up the fundamentals and THEN take aim at the opportunities presented. It's the basics at this point, not the targets. Overcoming unforced errors.....

Scubapro

Banned
Norm Chow is 74 which is old even for me , Art Briles I really didn't follow but has he coached any where other than Texas ? may be a reason if not.
I thought Chow was a younger than that..oh well...doesn't really matter. I really don't think Briles would leave Texas but its just a wish.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
A lot of it has to do with the complete 180 from CPJ in not only offensive philosophy, but demeanor as well. We couldn't have hired someone more unlike the previous HC. IMO, that isn't a bad thing, but it is a lot for some to digest. Also, a lot of his comments early on, (some even I consider ill advised), were considered by my many to uncharitable at best, and veiled insults at worst, towards the previous regime. Considering a large portion of the fan base loved CPJ, this caused some anger. Top this off with back to back 3 win seasons and you have the recipe for a fair amount of online posters (as opposed to more "normal" fans) to spew venom towards him. IMO, all of this is unfair to CGC and what he is trying to do. Sure, he speaks in hyperbole, but once you get used to him, you can learn to read between the lines to get the real story. Sure he seems gimmicky in his approach to changing the culture, (as opposed to CPJ and his "gimmicky" offense), with his use of money downs and juice crews, but if recruits and players like it, then we as fans should give him time to prove it works. But not everyone is willing to give him those chances. For some, those sins, especially the 3 win seasons, are unforgivable. The only way to bring them aboard the CGC bandwagon is to start winning. I think that's coming soon.

That leads to your second point. I also believe CGC will be here all 7 years of his contract. My statement of 5 years was that was the soonest he would possibly be fired, as TStan will give him every opportunity to succeed here. If we go through 4 years of losing football, his seat will be warm. If we go through 5, he will either be gone or it will be uncomfortably hot. I think 2021 is our last year in the wilderness. While it's very possible we could break through this season and go to a bowl, I have us pegged for a 5 win season this year and breaking through in 2022 big time. Hopefully, we break through this season and put all this to rest, but if not, prepare for the same disenchanted fans, plus a bit more, to continue moaning next offseason as well. For them, winning is the only cure now.
Good post, and I agree with most all of it. I am not really concerned about the posters on this blog however. THEY are interested, they are engaged......
even if they are complaining. As I , and many others have stated before, there is a lot of competition for the "entertainment" dollar in Atlanta. Every year of not putting an enticing product on the field raises the stakes for the next year. I understand a transition, but ALL the players on the roster( with the exception of the imported punter/Pk), played FOOTBALL in high school. The rules are basically the same in HS and College....snap counts, how to block, how to tackle, penalties, are fundamental to the game. They are not taking SOCCER players and trying to teach them FOOTBALL for the first time. If they are not able to clean up the fundaments by a noticeable degree....which in itself should add a win or two in year 3, that will be a serious issue for me. Also, some are acting like we have to wait until the schedule improves( in other words the level of competition falls) to have a winning season........what would CPJ say about that ?? It is, what it is !

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes....much as I hate it...Dave was correct...Just look at the last 45 years of GT football....I'm 66. I do not expect to live to see another 1990......or a 2014, for that matter.
I so hope I'm wrong.
Damn kids! ;) I'm going to hang around for my 3rd. My Dad had 3 so, we better have one sooner than later!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You're right. I was remembering 1 win and 2 wins, when it was 2 and 3. My only point in comparison was that even with the big boys that Curry left, it took a seasoned coach two crappy years to get everything straight. I'm not so sure why so many are so down on Collins. He needs (and will get) enough time to get everything in and rolling. I don't think he will leave before his contract is up unless he loses the team. That's 7 years, not 5 like everyone on here is chirping. I don't think his seat gets warm until he has 4 years of losing seasons.
Winning only 3 games in each of the last two seasons will get just about any fanbase restless especially when it is accompanied by losing to The Citadel and a historic loss to Clemson. Even a fan base as placid and reasonable as Georgia Tech will turn on a coach in a New York minute for any number of reasons but losing ball games is at the top. And no, I do not think looking good or moral victories will help Coach Collins. He needs to win now.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Winning only 3 games in each of the last two seasons will get just about any fanbase restless especially when it is accompanied by losing to The Citadel and a historic loss to Clemson. Even a fan base as placid and reasonable as Georgia Tech will turn on a coach in a New York minute for any number of reasons but losing ball games is at the top. And no, I do not think looking good or moral victories will help Coach Collins. He needs to win now.
Or what? You going to fire him. Not going to happen. He "needs" to build this program, which he's doing. The fans "need" to support the program and shut up with all the complaining and demanding.

Anybody that looks at last year as anything but abnormal is an idiot. We did not play a single out-of-conference game. Last year's team possibly wins 5 games with our original schedule, but who knows because there was no continuity within the season with all the Covid crap. Everyone had to deal with it, but some had an easier time handling it than others. We had games postponed, games canceled, etc.

So, no, I don't count last year as anything other than we fans had a chance to watch some college football and our players got live snaps. Anything else beyond that doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned, we've had 1 3-win season at the start of a major rebuild (to a type of program), and a covid year (which I don't care about). You people "demanding" better years or "needing to see" vast improvement crack me up. I feel very confident essentially everyone on this forum has an infinitesimally greater than zero impact on the machinations of our AA. Stop bitching and support the program.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The harshness of my reply was not necessarily directed at you. I'm just frustrated with fans who have unrealistic expectations. Yes, I think anyone who bitches about 2 consecutive 3 win seasons the past two years has unreasonable expectations.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Or what? You going to fire him. Not going to happen. He "needs" to build this program, which he's doing. The fans "need" to support the program and shut up with all the complaining and demanding.

Anybody that looks at last year as anything but abnormal is an idiot. We did not play a single out-of-conference game. Last year's team possibly wins 5 games with our original schedule, but who knows because there was no continuity within the season with all the Covid crap. Everyone had to deal with it, but some had an easier time handling it than others. We had games postponed, games canceled, etc.

So, no, I don't count last year as anything other than we fans had a chance to watch some college football and our players got live snaps. Anything else beyond that doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned, we've had 1 3-win season at the start of a major rebuild (to a type of program), and a covid year (which I don't care about). You people "demanding" better years or "needing to see" vast improvement crack me up. I feel very confident essentially everyone on this forum has an infinitesimally greater than zero impact on the machinations of our AA. Stop bitching and support the program.

Other than the non-conference game part, I agree with the rest of this.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
It all depends on how long Coach Collins and AD Stansbury can maintain the optimism and enthusiasm of the fan base without wins. So far they have only told us how good it's going to be, we have to believe in the strategy, and be patient. Each year with poor on the field performance will erode their ability to do this. Three wins next year and we're in trouble. Five wins and we can breath easier. Six wins and we're on our way.