Expectations for the 2021 season

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
1. Dodd, like Paul, knew what he wanted and went after it. Prime example = Leon Hardeman. All 5'6" (with lifts) and 175 lbs of him. Not all that fast either. But he became an AA (he was drafted by the Colts but joined the US Army instead). Dodd saw what others didn't; i.e. that he was almost impossible to knock down with a first hit. Dodd was famous for that; his recruiting style was like my orthopedist and operations, "We treat the person, not the pictures."

2. Yes, Dodd was good with the media. And with his players. Example (among many): Gerald Bussell. Bussell hated be called "Gerry" and all the media ignored that. Dodd didn't; when he mentioned him it was always "Gerald". He would correct the folks on his game show who made this mistake.

3. I think it is unfortunate that Tech left the SEC, but the ACC today is every bit as tough as the SEC, imho. I don't really see much difference in the strength of schedule then and now. There are a few more heavy hitters in the SEC, but the field is more even then many people here are willing to concede.

4. Yes, and Tech players (Dodd let them vote on going to a bowl) were known for sometimes turning down bowl bids because they considered then beneath their dignity. Would that could return, but not as long as you get gobs of money and extra practice time for going bowling.
One more factor about Dodd’s relationship to the press. You had more than one newspaper and the only sports in town to cover were Tech athletics and the Atlanta Crackers. Dodd left just as the pro sports came to town.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If they can't do this, something is wrong.

I'm more optimistic though then some here, I think this is very doable this year.
Yeah, I don't think its the humongous mountain others make it out to be. We likely beat NIU, KSU, and Duke. Assuming we don't beat any of the likely ranked teams on our schedule, that leaves UVA, VT, BC, and Pitt. Is it really incredibly far fetched that we could win 3 of those games? If we have improved significantly from last year then it doesn't seem like it.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I don't think its the humongous mountain others make it out to be. We likely beat NIU, KSU, and Duke. Assuming we don't beat any of the likely ranked teams on our schedule, that leaves UVA, VT, BC, and Pitt. Is it really incredibly far fetched that we could win 3 of those games? If we have improved significantly from last year then it doesn't seem like it.
I'm not sure how much we really even need to actively improve compared to just not actively unloading a handgun into our feet. Better decisions on returns, actually being able to kick, and eliminating 1 TO per game will go a long way. Then, adding a better pass rush (just based on depth) and improved reaction times at LB, I think getting to 6 wins could happen.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sims improvement from first 3 games vs last 7:
GAMES----TDS----INTC
1-3---------3--------8
4-10-------10-------5
While I think he did improve some, I attribute this somewhat to a bad offensive strategy early in the season. He threw 33 passes a game the first three games. 22 per game in the last 7. There was no reason to come out in gunslinger mode with a freshman QB and a terrible offensive line. Especially with the talent behind him at RB. Overall for the season in the 5 games he threw the most in he had 5 TD and 10 INT. In the 5 games he threw the least in he had 8 TD and 3 INT. Sometimes less is more.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for leniency but I bettter see a palatable win/loss column this season. Year 3 is enough to put at least a few pieces in place. I need something substantial.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for leniency but I bettter see a palatable win/loss column this season. Year 3 is enough to put at least a few pieces in place. I need something substantial.
I hear you but football is won or lost on the line of scrimmage and unfortunately the line of scrimmage is where you usually find upperclassmen. We definitely have some pieces in place but that doesn’t mean wins. As always it comes down to turnovers and QB play. If our QB can show some consistency then we’ll be fine for the rest of his time here. But this coming year is just a big ole question mark.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hear you but football is won or lost on the line of scrimmage and unfortunately the line of scrimmage is where you usually find upperclassmen. We definitely have some pieces in place but that doesn’t mean wins. As always it comes down to turnovers and QB play. If our QB can show some consistency then we’ll be fine for the rest of his time here. But this coming year is just a big ole question mark.
Those two transfers on the OL make me optimistic.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
While I think he did improve some, I attribute this somewhat to a bad offensive strategy early in the season. He threw 33 passes a game the first three games. 22 per game in the last 7. There was no reason to come out in gunslinger mode with a freshman QB and a terrible offensive line. Especially with the talent behind him at RB. Overall for the season in the 5 games he threw the most in he had 5 TD and 10 INT. In the 5 games he threw the least in he had 8 TD and 3 INT. Sometimes less is more.
Agree that settling in and using our RBs more helped the game plan. I think CDP was reluctant to hinge too heavily on those guys early because we didn’t want to be as one dimensional as we maybe should have been. Am over reliance on correcting too far led us to try to sling it a bit IMHO and we realized it just wasn’t happening given what we had at OLine and at QB.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
I am expecting a noticeable difference in performance. We have had two full years of recruiting and it is time to start evaluating our coaching staff. They have had the opportunity to put their players in place and now we need to see production. I think CGC has made a move to reduce mental errors and improve our level of discipline. Coach em up!!

So what happens if we win 5, do you give up on GT
I would not give up on GT Football or the players, However the fact is that Coach Geoff Collins would be showing weaknesses in managing games and other non-recruiting elements. I mean the fact is that CGC and GT have gone 6-16 in the last two seasons and that is the worst B2B record in 26 years to top it off 14 were double-digit blowouts and one was to Citadel from the FCS, not to mention he has coached Tech to the largest margin of defeat in modern era (Clemson 73-7). The points allowed were exceeded only by Auburn’s 94-0 win in 1894, Tech’s third season of football. There has yet to be a win over a team that finished with a winning record. I am not expecting Coach Collins to win the ACC or even take us to an OB. But asking him to take a team with far more talent than Coach Johnson had and go .500 in OOC and in ACC play shouldn't be much of a stretch. If he can only squeeze five wins out of a schedule that has him playing:

Kennesaw State
NIU
PItt
Duke
UVA
VT
BC
Miami

I would say if he won only five games this year in year three with all these transfers and the uptick in recruiting than the program is not in a rebuild, it will have been set back. Does it mean that Coach Collins won’t be able to compete for a division title in year four or five? No, with the talent on this team at some point he may. But the issue isn't talent or recruiting....It may just be Coaching! 6 wins in 2021 for me, means that Coach Collins is developing the program in the positive way. But for me I have drawn the line in the sand. I am hopeful CGC can start walking the walk after talking the talk the last few years! ( and no If CGC is not the answer I do not want to go back to the option) I am just saying we need to be coaching everyone up and if we do that we should be able to compete at the .500 level. IMHO it is not a big ask unless you are not a good head coach. (see Ted Roofs Duke era)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I would not give up on GT Football or the players, However the fact is that Coach Geoff Collins would be showing weaknesses in managing games and other non-recruiting elements. I mean the fact is that CGC and GT have gone 6-16 in the last two seasons and that is the worst B2B record in 26 years to top it off 14 were double-digit blowouts and one was to Citadel from the FCS, not to mention he has coached Tech to the largest margin of defeat in modern era (Clemson 73-7). The points allowed were exceeded only by Auburn’s 94-0 win in 1894, Tech’s third season of football. There has yet to be a win over a team that finished with a winning record. I am not expecting Coach Collins to win the ACC or even take us to an OB. But asking him to take a team with far more talent than Coach Johnson had and go .500 in OOC and in ACC play shouldn't be much of a stretch. If he can only squeeze five wins out of a schedule that has him playing:

Kennesaw State
NIU
PItt
Duke
UVA
VT
BC
Miami

I would say if he won only five games this year in year three with all these transfers and the uptick in recruiting than the program is not in a rebuild, it will have been set back. Does it mean that Coach Collins won’t be able to compete for a division title in year four or five? No, with the talent on this team at some point he may. But the issue isn't talent or recruiting....It may just be Coaching! 6 wins in 2021 for me, means that Coach Collins is developing the program in the positive way. But for me I have drawn the line in the sand. I am hopeful CGC can start walking the walk after talking the talk the last few years! ( and no If CGC is not the answer I do not want to go back to the option) I am just saying we need to be coaching everyone up and if we do that we should be able to compete being .500 is not a big ask unless you are not a good head coach. (see Ted Roofs Duke era)
From you list I see 3 games we should be favored in (KS, NIU and Duke), 1 we are 50-50 UVA, one we are a double digit underdog Miami, and 3 we are clear underdogs (Pitt, VT and BC). All that may change once the season starts but based on past performance and returning players I expect the oddsmakers to see it that way as well. To get to 6 wins we need to beat all the teams we are favored against, beat the 50-50 team and 2 of the 3 we are underdogs against. Is it possible, sure, is it likely not in my opinion.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If we do fall short of 5 or 6 wins then I would expect coaching changes. If not then it's just a matter of time for Collins. He may dig himself such a bad HC record that he will be a lifetime assistant known for recruiting. I hope he has the guts to make changes if they are warranted. I want him to succeed.