Expectations for the 2021 season

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Don’t get holier than thou. I support all of our guys too. I’m asking you to brag about CPJ ability to get players who can make it in the NFL. My initial response was to someone that said they could “go on and on”. You just can’t.

I brag about any coaches ability to get players into the NFL. You're the one saying we didn't put "enough" players into the NFL. Considering the offense we ran, and the recruiting levels we were at, CPJ was punching above his weight with the quality players he put into the NFL.

Nobody here is talking about what the players do in the NFL because they are interested in following them in the NFL or as ways to measure the success of those programs. The entire purpose of that part of the discussion is as it pertains to how much talent programs have, which doesn't always correlate to wins. Some people get more out of their physical traits than others. This discussion isn't even close to being about counting former GT (or any other college players) player in the NFL as a measure of the success of our program. However, the better the players you have on the field in college the more likely it is for you to win football games (and of course it should go without saying but I'm saying it anyway because if I don't then people will immediately say something about it; you MUST have good coaching to take advantage of that talent or it really is moot how much talent you have, so you need both good players and good coaching, not just one or the other). And ONE of the measuring sticks, not the only one, of how physically gifted the athletes are that are in your program is how many of them go on to play in the NFL. And of course there are plenty of great college players who do not go on to play in the NFL or who do but flame out early. I don't think anyone would argue with me when I say that Joe Hamilton was the best college football player in 1999 but his NFL career wasn't really indicative of how great and dominant he was in college.

My point is that looking at how many players go on to the NFL is ONE measurement of the talent that you've had coming through the program. It's not the only one. And it isn't a measure of the success of the program, either.
And I don't disagree with your premise. But if one is going to use NFL draft as a measure....you might be sorely disappointed being a Tech fan. We really don't have a history of putting kids in the NFL and them making it. Now we can say 2009, Burnette, Morgan and Bey Bey was a good group. And as I pointed out the 1978 class with 7 was pretty good. Tells you how talented that 1978 team was and we still only won 7 games. Lost to Duke that year.....

Case in point is Tim Tebow. One of the best college QBs of the last few decades, horrible in the NFL as a QB.
Ok, so I saw him play...being in Denver. He came in with the Broncos being 0-5 and took them to the playoffs. Won the first playoff game..with Bey Bey's help. Was he going to be good...who knows, he never got the chance. They were chanting his name in the stadium and Elway was jealous. Only he was the god of Denver. He called Tebow the circus. Sure he got Peyton and won a Super bowl...but it destroyed the program for the last 5 years.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
And let me be clear, when I say scheme I don't mean just run CPJs offense. CRF ran a multiple scheme. One play he was TO from the wishbone to next play run and shoot from 5 wide. I keep saying, look at Coastal Carolina. Now that is a difficult offense to defend. Is it "Pro Style" I guess not what ever that means. It would seem offensive players would want to play in an offense that scores and wins games. Every College player that turns pro basically has to be re-trained.
From "The Athletic" - a pretty good list of why high level high school players chose colleges:

1. Success rate of developing NFL picks. Nothing is more important than being put in position to land that generational wealth.

2. Opportunity to play for a winning program. This usually goes hand-in-hand with No. 1, but it is very far behind No. 1 in these rankings.

3. How soon they can play. Though a lot is made up of the depth chart and a path to the field during the recruiting process, seasoned recruits understand that true development doesn’t always coincide with playing as a true freshman. Some players really want that, but the programs that are really good at developing prospects have a funny way of reminding highly rated high school players that they have a long way to go before they are game-ready at the Power 5 level.

From "The Athletic" - a pretty good list of why high level high school players chose colleges:

1. Success rate of developing NFL picks. Nothing is more important than being put in position to land that generational wealth.

2. Opportunity to play for a winning program. This usually goes hand-in-hand with No. 1, but it is very far behind No. 1 in these rankings.

3. How soon they can play. Though a lot is made up of the depth chart and a path to the field during the recruiting process, seasoned recruits understand that true development doesn’t always coincide with playing as a true freshman. Some players really want that, but the programs that are really good at developing prospects have a funny way of reminding highly rated high school players that they have a long way to go before they are game-ready at the Power 5 level.
And you left one out.

Going to a school that really does not require them to actually go to school..Degree does not matter...just get me to the show....
And that is the problem today because only 2% get to the show.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is interesting how things have changed on this point. Years ago, people did not want to wait their turn. Nowadays they are much more content to wait their turn in line at a Bama, OSU, etc. They value the development aspect and also like the fact (esp. RB's) that they are avoiding wear and tear on a limited shelf life commodity - their bodies. QB's are less likely to do that (see Burrows, Fields, Hurts, etc.) but even Mac Jones carried a clipboard for 4 years (iirc) at Bama. Parlayed his patience into a NC ring and a high draft spot.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No sir, and likely never will
How can you say this? I agree, under the current system there isn’t much chance of that. But once paying players becomes the norm the entire system changes. Sure, it’s easy to use today’s paradigm to forecast the future but what if the paradigm changes? What if having tens of thousands of goober fans buying garbage gear at Wal-Mart doesn’t translate to the new paradigm? What if GT has one alum with billions who buys every 5 star player and puts them in every advertisement in the southeast? What if Hollywood stars get together and buy players for USC? What about the oil money in Texas? My point is no one knows where this system is heading to. Under the current system it’s all about the underworld of guys like Rush Probst and SEC programs willing to let bagmen do their thing. Once bagmen no longer have to hide a new version of bagmen will take over that will make these current guys look like they are selling dime bags on a corner. Right now a lot of schools are trying not to cheat. Once it’s no longer cheating you’ll see real money taking over.

How can you say this? I agree, under the current system there isn’t much chance of that. But once paying players becomes the norm the entire system changes. Sure, it’s easy to use today’s paradigm to forecast the future but what if the paradigm changes? What if having tens of thousands of goober fans buying garbage gear at Wal-Mart doesn’t translate to the new paradigm? What if GT has one alum with billions who buys every 5 star player and puts them in every advertisement in the southeast? What if Hollywood stars get together and buy players for USC? What about the oil money in Texas? My point is no one knows where this system is heading to. Under the current system it’s all about the underworld of guys like Rush Probst and SEC programs willing to let bagmen do their thing. Once bagmen no longer have to hide a new version of bagmen will take over that will make these current guys look like they are selling dime bags on a corner. Right now a lot of schools are trying not to cheat. Once it’s no longer cheating you’ll see real money taking over.
Because at the end of the day...even if the world of football transforms there will still be a reality for our glorious team. We have 34 majors. We have Calculus. We have to maintain an APR. And the regents will never let us be anything different. As CPJ stated...the Hill wants us to be MIT Monday thru Friday and Alabama on Saturday. We will never play in that league.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Because at the end of the day...even if the world of football transforms there will still be a reality for our glorious team. We have 34 majors. We have Calculus. We have to maintain an APR. And the regents will never let us be anything different. As CPJ stated...the Hill wants us to be MIT Monday thru Friday and Alabama on Saturday. We will never play in that league.
I’m fine with this

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I said likely.....and all of that is highly unlikely. The rich keep getting richer, the factories will adapt and stay on top

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
But you are thinking in the old way. If we get to pay players do you really believe APR is going to be a thing? Listen, this isn’t a slight change that is coming this is an earthquake and I predict the old ways of doing business will be over. I doubt players in the future will be anything close to students. Some of you guys sound like guys a couple decades ago who said we’d never have a playoff because of how important the bowl system is. Now the bowl system is dead and a 12 team playoff is knocking on the door. It’s just amazing how quickly the entire landscape has changed. And it’s not going to slow up. Bring this topic back up in 10 years and you’ll see.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I said likely.....and all of that is highly unlikely. The rich keep getting richer, the factories will adapt and stay on top
Again, your using the old mindset. The factories became factories because they don’t mind cheating. Cheating is about to be made legal. Once that happens the factories as we’ve known them won’t be the big fish anymore. Schools like Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma State and others with real money will dwarf the UGA’s and Bama’s. We won’t be talking about guys flashing 30 grand on Instagram as they drive to Tuscaloosa. We’ll be talking big money. Schools that have tried to tie the line will be unleashed. Stanford could buy every 5 star in the country if they wanted to. The imbalance that has occurred the past 50 years is because certain schools didn’t follow the rules. Now, no one will have to follow the rules so their advantage will be gone.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Again, your using the old mindset. The factories became factories because they don’t mind cheating. Cheating is about to be made legal. Once that happens the factories as we’ve known them won’t be the big fish anymore. Schools like Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma State and others with real money will dwarf the UGA’s and Bama’s. We won’t be talking about guys flashing 30 grand on Instagram as they drive to Tuscaloosa. We’ll be talking big money. Schools that have tried to tie the line will be unleashed. Stanford could buy every 5 star in the country if they wanted to. The imbalance that has occurred the past 50 years is because certain schools didn’t follow the rules. Now, no one will have to follow the rules so their advantage will be gone.
You have to have people that want to spend that money on college Athletics.

But you are thinking in the old way. If we get to pay players do you really believe APR is going to be a thing? Listen, this isn’t a slight change that is coming this is an earthquake and I predict the old ways of doing business will be over. I doubt players in the future will be anything close to students. Some of you guys sound like guys a couple decades ago who said we’d never have a playoff because of how important the bowl system is. Now the bowl system is dead and a 12 team playoff is knocking on the door. It’s just amazing how quickly the entire landscape has changed. And it’s not going to slow up. Bring this topic back up in 10 years and you’ll see.
Georgia Tech is not in the league these other teams are. Yes way back in the 1950's maybe. But with the change in Football in 1970 we no longer are part of that system. Unless someone decides we are no longer MIT....then we are what we are.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

uga has easily 3x the number of fans we do, if not more. What makes you think our donors will pony up enough money routinely to win bidding wars for elite athletes against $EC factories?

Getting two recent OL commits from Grayson and Milton are encouraging. These two players receive great HS coaching and play against great competition. Stockpiling our OL and DL lines with these kinds of players will hopefully elevate us as a team that reloads every year instead of the rebuild mode. I am extremely optimistic about our OL this year- but clearly it was necessary to use the transfer portal until we can keep adding recruits year after year to develop within our system and progress with our weight/ nutrition programs.
I REALLY LIKE THOSE GUYS !

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is not in the league these other teams are. Yes way back in the 1950's maybe. But with the change in Football in 1970 we no longer are part of that system. Unless someone decides we are no longer MIT....then we are what we are.
I think there are some majors at MIT that don't require some form of Calculus. Not 100% sure, but I think so.