Expectations for the 2021 season

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Collins is a threat to uga's dominance of recruiting in this state.

Collins is good, and is the best recruiter we've had at GT in some time, but we aren't threatening uga's dominance of recruiting in this state. We will pick off a more 4*'s than we normally do, which if we are consistent with it, may get us into the top20 eventually with recruiting. To threaten uga's dominance, we're gonna have to start beating them for the high 4*'s and 5*s that they are getting.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why do so many complain about the same topics being discussed. This is a very narrowed message board about a singular topic - Georgia Tech football. There aren’t a lot of options to discuss on such a narrow topic so of course there is going to be repedition. And in the off season what topics other than re-tread topics are there to be discussed? Isn’t this a break from reality for all of us?
I don't think people object to the repetition of topics per se. After, it's a relatively simple game and there isn't that much that can be said about it at the end of the day without repetition.

I think the annoyance factor that many are referring to are the repetitive posts. Two different animals imo.

Colorado"jacket" keeps bringing it up. Why? He is a uga grad. If I was on a Tech board as a uga grad, I'd be doing the same thing. Collins is a threat to uga's dominance of recruiting in this state. I'd be advocating that Tech should go back to an offense that is hard to recruit to, just like he does. I wouldn't want recruiting competition from another state school if I was a dwag. I'd attack Collins and advocate for a return to a run based option scheme. Those are his constant themes.
I don't need to explain me being the biggest Tech fan there is. It just irritates me when people make derogatory remarks about CPJ and his years. He was our best coach in my life time of Tech football. Dating back to 1969. We have moved on in a new direction, I just don't like what I see so far from the new staff. In many respects. Start winning and I will change my mind.

I don't need to explain me being the biggest Tech fan there is. It just irritates me when people make derogatory remarks about CPJ and his years. He was our best coach in my life time of Tech football. Dating back to 1969. We have moved on in a new direction, I just don't like what I see so far from the new staff. In many respects. Start winning and I will change my mind.
Oh and as for me being a UGA grad...this is true. But I posses no love for Georgia and do not support them in any way. I want them to lose every game they play. When I was at UGA I would cheer for Tech during the UGA Tech game and wear a gold tie.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So BC has had 2 players per year drafted....uh huh. Real NFL factory there. And the last time they were in the ACCCG...... 2008.
7 first round picks, 5 second round picks and 7 third round picks. Only Miami, FSU and Clemson have more 1st round picks from the 14 ACC teams since 2000 than BC. Compare that to GT and we are significantly worse. Through round three are top 100 picks which the NFL views as significant starter or higher capability. Look at when our teams excelled, there is a very high correlation to the teams that had the most NFL caliber players in the time period you outlined - 2005 to present. Real talent actually matters. What do Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Miami, Florida, Georgia, USC, Florida State and Oklahoma have in common since 2000? All but Georgia have won a National Championship. Only 3 other teams have won NCs since 2000 - Texas, Auburn and Clemson. They are all in the top 20 of players drafted by the NFL. If you want GT to actually compete for more than The Coastal Division we MUST acquire a lot more NFL talent level players, If you are good with competing for the Coastal Division than what we did in the past will work every 5+ years. This isn't rocket science. Regardless of the Coach elite level talent is required to play for National Championships.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh and as for me being a UGA grad...this is true. But I posses no love for Georgia and do not support them in any way. I want them to lose every game they play. When I was at UGA I would cheer for Tech during the UGA Tech game and wear a gold tie.
Same here, all except for the tie...(but wore the white and gold).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
C
In the Three years that Bill Lewis Coached at Georgia Tech he won 11 games. Coach Collins will have to win 6 games this season to be 1 game ahead of Bill Lewis. But it is not a strecth to say Coach Collins record is close to Bill Lewis. In fact Bill Lewis first two years he won 5 games each, however most give Coach Collins first two years a pass since he took over for Paul Johnson. Year three will be very interest
Comparing anyone to BL is idiotic. So, right there you're losing credibility. Next, last year means nothing. Anyone counting last year's wins/losses is idiotic. So, strike 2. Finally, Bobby Ross has 5 wins after his first two seasons at Tech. So, let's see what Collins has after Year 2 (yes, this is Year 2, not Year 3).

7 first round picks, 5 second round picks and 7 third round picks. Only Miami, FSU and Clemson have more 1st round picks from the 14 ACC teams since 2000 than BC. Compare that to GT and we are significantly worse. Through round three are top 100 picks which the NFL views as significant starter or higher capability. Look at when our teams excelled, there is a very high correlation to the teams that had the most NFL caliber players in the time period you outlined - 2005 to present. Real talent actually matters. What do Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Miami, Florida, Georgia, USC, Florida State and Oklahoma have in common since 2000? All but Georgia have won a National Championship. Only 3 other teams have won NCs since 2000 - Texas, Auburn and Clemson. They are all in the top 20 of players drafted by the NFL. If you want GT to actually compete for more than The Coastal Division we MUST acquire a lot more NFL talent level players, If you are good with competing for the Coastal Division than what we did in the past will work every 5+ years. This isn't rocket science. Regardless of the Coach elite level talent is required to play for National Championships.
And I am not disagreeing one bit. But at Georgia Tech you are not going to get a lot of NFL talent. We never have. Calculus. Does that mean we can't get some and win the ACC. Sure, but it is going to take coaching and scheme. That is how Dodd did it. We can't line up and run what everybody else is running. Shotgun Spread.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
And I am not disagreeing one bit. But at Georgia Tech you are not going to get a lot of NFL talent. We never have. Calculus. Does that mean we can't get some and win the ACC. Sure, but it is going to take coaching and scheme. That is how Dodd did it. We can't line up and run what everybody else is running. Shotgun Spread.
That ship sailed when CPJ resigned and the AD decided to move away from the "3O" style offense. There are a lot of reasons for that decision. Regardless, we "GT", decided to go in a different direction. All in the AD knew moving in the different direction would be difficult and a long road process. We are still 2-3 years from knowing if moving away from a CPJ style offense will allow us to compete for ACC Championships or not. Patience is required or the journey will be miserable.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Colorado"jacket" keeps bringing it up. Why? He is a uga grad. If I was on a Tech board as a uga grad, I'd be doing the same thing. Collins is a threat to uga's dominance of recruiting in this state. I'd be advocating that Tech should go back to an offense that is hard to recruit to, just like he does. I wouldn't want recruiting competition from another state school if I was a dwag. I'd attack Collins and advocate for a return to a run based option scheme. Those are his constant themes.
Are you intentionally being inflammatory?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, when I look at Tech’s history I am struck by the fact that Tech’s most successful coaches were innovators who were not running the same offense as everyone else.

That ship sailed when CPJ resigned and the AD decided to move away from the "3O" style offense. There are a lot of reasons for that decision. Regardless, we "GT", decided to go in a different direction. All in the AD knew moving in the different direction would be difficult and a long road process. We are still 2-3 years from knowing if moving away from a CPJ style offense will allow us to compete for ACC Championships or not. Patience is required or the journey will be miserable.
And let me be clear, when I say scheme I don't mean just run CPJs offense. CRF ran a multiple scheme. One play he was TO from the wishbone to next play run and shoot from 5 wide. I keep saying, look at Coastal Carolina. Now that is a difficult offense to defend. Is it "Pro Style" I guess not what ever that means. It would seem offensive players would want to play in an offense that scores and wins games. Every College player that turns pro basically has to be re-trained.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
C

Comparing anyone to BL is idiotic. So, right there you're losing credibility. Next, last year means nothing. Anyone counting last year's wins/losses is idiotic. So, strike 2. Finally, Bobby Ross has 5 wins after his first two seasons at Tech. So, let's see what Collins has after Year 2 (yes, this is Year 2, not Year 3).
Yes Bobby Ross only won 5 game his first 2 years BUT did win 7 in the 3rd year, if we win 7 I would think 90% would be happy ( no sure we could get 100% happy no matter what we do ) . Sorry to say last year did count the wins and loses are in the record books and if I remember there was a National Championship game. ( if you play it counts if there are if.s in football then I guess your saying uga was right not counting the games we won during WW2. )
Fact no matter how bad this year is CGC is safe unless the AD leaves which won't happen.

maybe we shouldn't count 1896 , 1997, 1900 or 1903 cause we had no head coach ( now we have 12 less loses )

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes Bobby Ross only won 5 game his first 2 years BUT did win 7 in the 3rd year, if we win 7 I would think 90% would be happy ( no sure we could get 100% happy no matter what we do ) . Sorry to say last year did count the wins and loses are in the record books and if I remember there was a National Championship game. ( if you play it counts if there are if.s in football then I guess your saying uga was right not counting the games we won during WW2. )
Fact no matter how bad this year is CGC is safe unless the AD leaves which won't happen.

maybe we shouldn't count 1896 , 1997, 1900 or 1903 cause we had no head coach ( now we have 12 less loses )
And if the NCAA isn't going to count last year as a year of eligibility for the players, then I'm not going to count it as a year on the "schedule" of progress for CGC. Not worried about W/L for the team, just no W/L in terms of assessing the progress of CGC.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Getting two recent OL commits from Grayson and Milton are encouraging. These two players receive great HS coaching and play against great competition. Stockpiling our OL and DL lines with these kinds of players will hopefully elevate us as a team that reloads every year instead of the rebuild mode. I am extremely optimistic about our OL this year- but clearly it was necessary to use the transfer portal until we can keep adding recruits year after year to develop within our system and progress with our weight/ nutrition programs.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And if the NCAA isn't going to count last year as a year of eligibility for the players, then I'm not going to count it as a year on the "schedule" of progress for CGC. Not worried about W/L for the team, just no W/L in terms of assessing the progress of CGC.
Eligibility has not got one thing to do if you count the season if you played the games they count. HeII lets not count 2015 because of all the injuries we can all pick games not to count. If we look hard we can get those 512 loses down to 300.
So if you are the AD and don't count last year do you ask the coaches to give their money back from last year, and do you give the fans back their money for last years tickets , and do you add one more year to CGC ?