Expectations for GT Football

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I agree pretty much except bowl next year. By 2024, if we are still getting blown out by Clemson and Georgia and don’t win 10+, the entire AD and staff needs to be purged.
I like your goal, but I could live with by 2024 we are highly competitive with Clemson and Georgia by beating either one or both and win 8+ games. Otherwise we had the wool pulled over our eyes and need to clean house and start over. Money Down.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Otherwise we had the wool pulled over our eyes and need to clean house and start over. Money Down.
I would have agreed at one point. But I have given up on the arms race. I don't want to waste millions again paying someone not to coach. I am sick of it, especially for a program that claims to be short of resources. I say let the contract expire. This will be an extremely unpopular opinion amongst my fellow fans. But let the next guy start with his version of the "greatest transition". Not saying that this will be or I believe that is going to happen. i still am rooting hard for CCG and his staff.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I would have agreed at one point. But I have given up on the arms race. I don't want to waste millions again paying someone not to coach. I am sick of it, especially for a program that claims to be short of resources. I say let the contract expire. This will be an extremely unpopular opinion amongst my fellow fans. But let the next guy start with his version of the "greatest transition". Not saying that this will be or I believe that is going to happen. i still am rooting hard for CCG and his staff.

That's pretty much where I am at these days as well.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
You're probably right. I don't like the arms race either, but what worries me is if CGC flounders and can't accomplish what we had hoped for, will we lose fan / financial support? We've seen that Tech can beat factory schools and go to good bowl games. CGC really needs to have an average + year in 2021 just to give us some hope.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You're probably right. I don't like the arms race either, but what worries me is if CGC flounders and can't accomplish what we had hoped for, will we lose fan / financial support? We've seen that Tech can beat factory schools and go to good bowl games. CGC really needs to have an average + year in 2021 just to give us some hope.

We are already losing fan and financial support, and it has little to do with football success. The fact is we are not replenishing and older fanbase with enough invested younger fans to make up the difference. It's a major reason we keep falling behind in the arms race. Current students aren't as invested in football as students were as recently as 25-30 years ago.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
We are already losing fan and financial support, and it has little to do with football success. The fact is we are not replenishing and older fanbase with enough invested younger fans to make up the difference. It's a major reason we keep falling behind in the arms race. Current students aren't as invested in football as students were as recently as 25-30 years ago.
That is why we need to get to the business of winning. Example, look at Atlanta United a year ago. It's called Winning and Having Fun at the Games. I left at half-time against Clemson and drove 80 miles back home. If Stansbury and Collins can't get the job done, then find someone with a better vision.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I mainly want to see us look better on both sides of the ball according to the eye test. Wins and losses are about where we stand relative to our opponents. We’re getting closer, but I’m not quite ready to say that we should compare Tech to other programs who didn’t have to retool their rosters.

-The OL showed improvement, and I expect that to continue.
-QB started showing some promise, and I expect to see better play from that position.
-RB play has been great, and I expect a continuation of that.
-WR play has been disappointing, and I expect better.
-TE play has been about what I would expect from a group so inexperienced. I expect to see improvement, but I’m not expecting them to stand out.

-DL play has been inconsistent with flashes of potential. I expect more consistency from them and for them to make things easier for their teammates.
-LB play has been very disappointing. With more experience and a good transfer, I expect them to stop giving me headaches.
-CB play has been decent but not great. I expect slight improvement.
-Safety play has been a liability, and I expect much better from them.

-Kicking has been a problem, and I expect it to be better than it has been. At minimum, we need to be near perfect on extra points and reliable enough to make field goals of 35 yards or less. No more going for on 4th and >3 in the red zone with the score within 3.
-I have no expectations of the rest of special teams other than avoiding bad field position when possible.

I have no idea what record these expectations would lead to, and frankly I don’t care.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That is why we need to get to the business of winning. Example, look at Atlanta United a year ago. It's called Winning and Having Fun at the Games. I left at half-time against Clemson and drove 80 miles back home. If Stansbury and Collins can't get the job done, then find someone with a better vision.

I hope you are right, but to be brutally honest, I don't think winning will impact as much as we hope it will. In the south, there aren't a lot of unaffiliated fans of college football we can attract. MLS is a new thing here and they weren't competing against lifelong fans of other MLS teams for their allegiance.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Thinking of this even more, I worry that we are trying too hard in the wrong areas sometimes. Yes, putting a winning product on the field will be beneficial, but I don't think it will have nearly as big an impact as we are expecting. In terms of market, the southeast is at saturation point for CFB. Every sports fan that follows CFB already has "their" team, so unlike Atlanta United, we aren't drawing "new" fans to the games, but rather aiming to pull other fans away from their current teams to ours. That's a much taller task. We can hope that transfers to the area from outside of the SEC/B1G markets (loyal fanbases) may end up opting in to attending GT games, but even if they do, it still doesn't solve the problem. We not only need fans, we need donors. We need people who not only attend and cheer, but who will give yearly to the program. The modern evolution of STEM schools no longer really emphasizes the total student experience to include sports the way it was done decades ago, so a lot of our students 'get out' and head off to their careers without ever having attended a single game here. It's why we see such a disparity between the giving to the school vs the GTAA. They are giving to what matters most to them. I don't know what the answer to this is, but somewhere along the line we need to ask some hard questions and get very real about our expectations and how they line up with the current landscape of college football.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
This is why I started posting on this subject. I am not expecting ACC champion in year 3, just noticeable "improvement" where it matters most, so that the casual fan and the media see the improvement and share that "news ". Blood in the water during year 3 could be deadly for the rebuild. Us diehards will always be here, but there is not enough of us to come close to filling BDS. I still say year 3 is CRITICAL !

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking @ 21’ schedule I don’t see more than 4,5 wins tops .. recruiting has dropped off this year from last but we’ve got great transfers , I’m not writing GC off yet but if we don’t start winning more games soon then you have to wonder . I’m afraid some people on here are gonna say in year 6 of his tenure “we gotta give him time “, when we’re 3-9 again

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Tennessee and Auburn can afford this nonsense but not Georgia Tech. Let the man coach and see what happens. He may turn it around or it might implode starting next year but he has a contract. Let him fulfill it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Thinking of this even more, I worry that we are trying too hard in the wrong areas sometimes. Yes, putting a winning product on the field will be beneficial, but I don't think it will have nearly as big an impact as we are expecting. In terms of market, the southeast is at saturation point for CFB. Every sports fan that follows CFB already has "their" team, so unlike Atlanta United, we aren't drawing "new" fans to the games, but rather aiming to pull other fans away from their current teams to ours. That's a much taller task. We can hope that transfers to the area from outside of the SEC/B1G markets (loyal fanbases) may end up opting in to attending GT games, but even if they do, it still doesn't solve the problem. We not only need fans, we need donors. We need people who not only attend and cheer, but who will give yearly to the program. The modern evolution of STEM schools no longer really emphasizes the total student experience to include sports the way it was done decades ago, so a lot of our students 'get out' and head off to their careers without ever having attended a single game here. It's why we see such a disparity between the giving to the school vs the GTAA. They are giving to what matters most to them. I don't know what the answer to this is, but somewhere along the line we need to ask some hard questions and get very real about our expectations and how they line up with the current landscape of college football.
There is much wisdom in this. The college football landscape has changed to being a sharp divide between the "Haves" like UGA, Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, LSU, Florida, etc. and the Have Nots. It can be debated whether or not the Have Nots can further be subdivided into those who are fairly good like UNC, Miami, Auburn, etc. and the mediocre teams like Illinois, South Carolina, Tech, and the absolute bottom feeders like Oregon State, Tulane, East Carolina, Vanderbilt, etc. The fact remains that the playing field is so tilted by illegal recruiting, paying players, and whatnot that the Have Nots have no chance, none of being nationally relevant for the foreseeable future. Even the pretty good ones mentioned above have little hope in crashing the elite club. IIWII

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We were pretty balanced in the run/pass game. Almost 200 yards of rushing per game with almost 200 yards of passing.

Teams we had more rushing yards per game than:

Alabama
Oklahoma
OK State
NAVY!
Penn State
UGA
Oregon
Wisconsin
Clemson

Who would have thought after CPJ left we would still be pretty good in the rushing game? We most definitely need to improve in the passing game and being more efficient when we have the ball. We were in the 90's in terms of passing yards/game and in the 70's for efficiency. We also need to cut down on turnovers, and given Sims will be in his 2nd year, his INTs hopefully get cut down. Given that the modern game is about passing the ball, we really should be in the 250-300 yards/game territory.
I think we may have improved quite a bit in passing later in the year. Most of the interceptions were early.

GT_EE78

Banned
Maybe Tennessee and Auburn can afford this nonsense but not Georgia Tech. Let the man coach and see what happens. He may turn it around or it might implode starting next year but he has a contract. Let him fulfill it.
Nah man, 7 years is long long time if things are going badly. There's a reason we pay big bucks to an AD who is supposed to make those decisions and do the needed fundraising to make things happen.No one is going to simply fulfill the contract as there's too much pressure to extend so the coach appears (to recruits) to have some longevity. CGC has no risk in 21 regardless of record.If he gets 6 wins then he's set for 22,maybe longer

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m afraid some people on here are gonna say in year 6 of his tenure “we gotta give him time “, when we’re 3-9 again
I know there’s a lot of Chan lovers on this board but hopefully we’re not staring at Chan 0.4x. He put a fair amount of guys into the NFL but the performance on the field led to a pall of malaise over the program.